Customer Discussions > Science forum

Global Warming protestors hit with cold

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 388 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 16, 2013 10:33:52 AM PST
R.M. says:
Freezing weather with light snow flurries greeted about 200 climate activists gathered on the steps of the state Capitol noon Monday to demand the state Legislature get serious about climate change.

The climate rally unfolded four hours after the highest predicted tide of 2013 in Budd Inlet. Climate activists draw attention to the winter high tides, calling them a precursor of a future shoreline under siege from sea-level rise.

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2013/01/15/2838322/high-tide-hits-as-rally-calls.html

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 10:49:33 AM PST
Rev. Otter says:
it's raining here, which proves that there are no deserts on Earth.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 11:16:35 AM PST
The Weasel says:
Rev. Otter says:
it's raining here, which proves that there are no deserts on Earth.
It's sunny and clear here proving that it is no longer raining where you are.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 11:41:00 AM PST
SinSeeker says:
Meanwhile, Australia has had its hottest day since records began a century ago. The Australian Bureau of Meteorology had to add a new colour to its interactive weather forecasting chart to show the new (higher) temperature range.

In the United States 2012 was the hottest year on record, and the UK had the second wettest year on record.

So your point is?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 12:15:15 PM PST
R.M. says:
Meanwhile, Los Angeles has been suffering record cold temperatures for the last week.

My point? It is funny when the doomsayers are met with conflicting evidence and choose to ignore it rather than adjust their belief system.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 12:15:23 PM PST
Brian Curtis says:
In Georgia, it's been raining for three days. Clearly a global flood is underway.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 12:22:50 PM PST
SinSeeker says:
"doomsayers"

I guess that shows your position on climate change concerns.

"are met with conflicting evidence"

Perhaps these sites will help you understand the difference between weather and climate?
http://cses.washington.edu/cig/pnwc/weathervsclimate.shtml
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/noaa-n/climate/climate_weather.html

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 12:37:27 PM PST
R.M. says:
I guess we know you are a believer of the Global Warming. You only have faith in what supports your beliefs. Enjoy the dogma.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 12:39:33 PM PST
AB: Freezing weather with light snow flurries greeted about 200 climate activists gathered on the steps of the state Capitol noon Monday to demand the state Legislature get serious about climate change.

BPL: Which proves what, exactly? Were you under the impression that anthropogenic global warming theory predicts winter will suddenly disappear?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 12:40:18 PM PST
AB: Meanwhile, Los Angeles has been suffering record cold temperatures for the last week.
My point? It is funny when the doomsayers are met with conflicting evidence and choose to ignore it rather than adjust their belief system.

BPL: Gosh... IT GETS COLD IN WINTER!!! Who would've thought that? Clearly, AGW theory is a fraud.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 12:41:07 PM PST
AB: I guess we know you are a believer of the Global Warming. You only have faith in what supports your beliefs. Enjoy the dogma.

BPL: And you are a person who couldn't write down the equation of radiative transfer to save your life, but goes around telling scientists who have spent their whole life in the field that they're wrong.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 12:43:42 PM PST
Rev. Otter says:
<<In Georgia, it's been raining for three days. Clearly a global flood is underway.>>

see? i *knew* that The Weasel was lying about it not-raining! he's obviously been drinking the "It's Not Raining" Flavor Ade.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 12:49:47 PM PST
R.M. says:
I was quoting the article. Perhaps you should follow the link and ask the author.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 12:51:08 PM PST
R.M. says:
Sorry if you feel I attacked your belief system. Don't get upset. I'm sure you will continue to have faith in Global Warming.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 12:52:29 PM PST
AB: Sorry if you feel I attacked your belief system. Don't get upset. I'm sure you will continue to have faith in Global Warming.

BPL: Let me guess--you never had a course in statistics, OR in atmosphere physics. Or physics. Or a course.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 12:53:06 PM PST
R.M. says:
And you are a person who goes around choosing only to listen to the scientists that preach your doctrine. There are other science based dogmas. Have you ever considered converting to another theory?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 1:00:15 PM PST
R.M. says:
I know you are more comfortable believing that those who disagree with you are just uneducated. There are many climatologists who do not share your faith. There is no unanimous consensus among the climatologists.

If you are having doubt in your beliefs then perhaps you can open your mind to all the data. I'm not sure if you are aware but the Earth has gone through cycles of heating and cooling for a really really long time.

It might comfort you to think that we caused the climate change. That sort of arrogance would then allow you to think we can cool the earth too and avert the fate causing your thermophobia.

Just calm down and carry a towel.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 1:13:14 PM PST
SinSeeker says:
"I guess we know you are a believer of the Global Warming"

I guess you know very little of anything. Despite this, you seem to be an expert.

For what it's worth, here's my understanding based on my reading (I'm not a climatologist, so I don't pretend to be an expert in this area).

1. Despite regional variations, it appears that the overall temperature of the earth is rising. Probably the most spectacular visual examples of this are the reductions in the size of ice sheets and glaciers.

2. This may be due to normal long-cycle climatic variation, or may be evidence of a long term-trend. Studies of deep time climate records (through study of ice cores, etc.) seem to support the latter.

3. This trend may be natural or it may be due to our increased industrialization over the last few centuries. Studies of carbon dioxide levels seem to support the latter.

4. Of course the whole system is complex and we don't know for sure. The real answer is probably a mixture of natural processes and human activity.

5. One thing is reasonably certain. There is a point where feedback loops in the earth's climatic system will tip us over to an irreversible trend upwards.

6. As a good precautionary principle, we should try and reduce our impact on the planet. I remember a great cartoon. A presenter at a conference had a list of great initiatives up on a screen - smarter buildings, reduction of reliance on fossil fuel, etc., all designed to reduce our impact. One member of the audience turns to another and says: "But what if it's all a scam and we create a better world for nothing?"

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 1:15:47 PM PST
R.M. says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 1:38:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 1:41:02 PM PST
Bubba says:
My pool is overflowing, I wonder if I should consider building a boat, and filling it with four cats and a dog.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 2:23:06 PM PST
AB: And you are a person who goes around choosing only to listen to the scientists that preach your doctrine. There are other science based dogmas. Have you ever considered converting to another theory?

BPL: Scientific theories aren't like religions. One doesn't convert. You go with whatever best fits the evidence. And I AM one of those scientists.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 2:24:17 PM PST
AB: There are many climatologists who do not share your faith. There is no unanimous consensus among the climatologists.

BPL: Well, yes, there is. 97% of climatologists are in agreement these days.

AB: If you are having doubt in your beliefs then perhaps you can open your mind to all the data. I'm not sure if you are aware but the Earth has gone through cycles of heating and cooling for a really really long time.

BPL: No kidding, really? Glad you told me that.

AB: It might comfort you to think that we caused the climate change. That sort of arrogance would then allow you to think we can cool the earth too and avert the fate causing your thermophobia.

BPL: I don't care if it's arrogant or humble. I care if it's true or false.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 4:39:24 PM PST
The Weasel says:
Anita Bryant says:
Meanwhile, Los Angeles has been suffering record cold temperatures for the last week.

I'm in LA it's fine. I have run the car heater on the way to work a few times.

But, as I said it was bright and sunny outside today. Obviously, I need to through all my jackets and coats and rain gear away as they will never be needed again.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 4:41:08 PM PST
The Weasel says:
Rev. Otter says:
<<In Georgia, it's been raining for three days. Clearly a global flood is underway.>>

see? i *knew* that The Weasel was lying about it not-raining! he's obviously been drinking the "It's Not Raining" Flavor Ade.
I can't see it from here. So obviously it can't be happening. You and your Pro-Rain reactionaires are always making up claims even when I simply walk outside to disprove them. FACTS are FACTS it is not reaining here and therefore it can't be raining there.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 6:37:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 6:38:22 PM PST
HelVee says:
WELCOME TO THE NEW NORMAL...AN AUSTRALIAN PERSPECTIVE.

The hottest average maximum temperature ever recorded across Australia - 40.33 degrees, was set on Monday surpassing the old record of 40.17 °C set in 1976. (Bureau of Meteorology)
The number of consecutive days where the national average maximum daily temperature exceeded 39°C has also been broken this week-seven (7) days (between 2-8 January 2013), almost doubling the previous record of four (4) consecutive days in 1973, (BOM)
According to the National Climate Data Centre, nine of the 10 hottest years on record have been since 2000 (the other is 1998).
The CSIRO has found Australian annual average daily maximum temperatures have steadily increased in the last hundred years, with most of the warming trend occurring since 1970.
The Bushfire CRC (Cooperative Research Centre) says large areas of southern Australia, from the east coast to the west coast, face "above average fire potential" in the summer of 2012-13. According to the Climate Institute extreme fire danger days are expected to rise more than 15 per cent in south-eastern Australia.
The hot-dry trend is expected to continue, with the Climate Commission predicting large increases in the number of days over 35°C this century.

AND GLOBALLY....

The last four months of 2012 - globally - were the hottest on record. (British Met Office) and 2012 was the hottest year the continental United States of America has ever recorded.("2012 Was the Hottest Year in U.S. History. And Yes - It's Climate Change", Bryan Walsh, TIME 8 January, 2013).
Around the world, 2013 could be the hottest ever recorded by modern instrumentation, according to a recent study by Britain's Met Office. If that turns out to be accurate, 2013 would surpass the previous record, held jointly by 2005 and 2010

While temperatures vary on a local and regional scale, globally it has now been 27 years since the world experienced a month that was colder than average. "If you're 27 or younger, you've never experienced a colder-than-average month" - Philip Bump, Grist, November 16, 2012.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science forum
Participants:  27
Total posts:  388
Initial post:  Jan 16, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 31, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions