Customer Discussions > Science forum

I was greeted by a "have a merry winter solstice"

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 32 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 17, 2012 12:02:46 PM PST
YMCA's Mom says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 12:43:13 PM PST
Irish Lace says:
Please tell me you're having fun with this little diatribe - that it's a little bit of Winter Solstice humor on this cold, gray day. (Well, it's cold and gray here in my part of the United States of America. Although here in my part of the USA, the first language is English.)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 2:24:44 PM PST
Abuse reported for multiple posts of the same thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 3:03:46 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 3:04:12 PM PST
Deckard says:
Firefly said:
"Last night, the cashier at Sam's Club greeted me with a "Have a merry winter solstice." I realize I live in a pagan area,"

Texas is a pagan area? And by the way, it is the Winter Solstice.

"but this is the United States of America, not the underworld or any other devil worshipping area (If you get my drift). Our first language is Christianity/thetruth"

Our language is English.

"and I expect to be greeted in my religous customs, not in pagan. If I were in a pagan restaurant, I could understand being greeted in pagan. I felt very disrespected. What is happening to our wonderful country?"

Dolts like you.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 5:25:46 PM PST
The proper response is, "Thank you." You can add "Merry Christmas."

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 5:36:47 PM PST
I cannot believe you are posting this same thing again. This is the third one I have read.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 5:55:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 5:55:40 PM PST
The cashier could have said "Have a merry Saturnalia." The biblical scholar Marcello Craveri wrote the following on Page 39 of "The Life of Jesus," Grove Press (1967) The Life of Jesus

"In Rome the feast of Sol Invictus [celebrated on December 25 as Dies Natalis Solis Invicti] always marked the end of a festival even more ancient but equally dedicated to the celebration of the self-renewal of nature: the Saturnalia. Based on the mythical era of the god Saturn, supposed to have been an age of happiness, peace, and brotherhood among all men, the Saturnalia in those days was a time in which the Romans abandoned themselves to touching demonstrations of friendship and affection. Even slaves had the right to sit at table with their masters and be served by them during the festival. It was a simple matter for Christianity--which was based fundamentally on universal brotherhood--to replace the heathen belief in the age of Saturn without impairing the admirable customs of the Saturnalia."

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 9:54:39 PM PST
D. Thomas says:
OH MY GOD! It can't be true! Is Texas having a solstice? TEXAS?

The end is nigh.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 9:56:22 PM PST
D. Thomas says:
:)

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 5:58:07 AM PST
Firefly, this is appalling, and I'm so sorry that you had to go through the embarrassment, the oppression, the disgrace of being wished a happy holiday that is different than a holiday which you celebrate.

Anyway, hope to see you all at the Opiconsivia chariot race! All hail Ops and Consus! Huzzah!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:28:17 PM PST
lwd says:
Out of curiosity, would you have also been insulted if someone wished you a Happy Hanukkah?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 8:50:37 AM PST
TN says:
Jesus was not born in December. More likely in October. Xmas used to be Saturnalia, celebration of the rebirth of the sun. The catholic church had the habit of renaming pagan festivities with a "christian" name to make it easier for pagans to adopt Catholicism as their religion.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 11:22:44 AM PST
barbW says:
but what about all the stories we can infer from the night sky? They all point to the 25th of December.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 11:25:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 11:25:28 AM PST
How strange that Firefly is tracking it as well! LOL!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 11:29:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 11:29:57 AM PST
Firefly

Please tell us this :

Why ARE you posting this everywhere? How can you possibly think your thread fits a science Forum?

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 11:48:36 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 20, 2012 11:51:49 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 11:52:01 AM PST
barbW says:
The Genesis ideas about the origin of the Moon are less interesting than the scientific theory, so Bible literalists might be less interested in this subject. The Moon is what keeps our solstices predictable, and thus specifically insured our emergence here. Solstices on Earth are a fascinating scientific subject, IMO.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 11:54:13 AM PST
Firefly wasn't aiming for a serious discussion, as his o.p. clearly shows you.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 5:49:51 AM PST
Irish Lace says:
That's summed up nicely, Deckard.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 5:17:28 AM PST
Charlie T. says:
The Winter Solstice festival long predates Christianity. The Christians hijacked the festival, as they did the spring fertility festival, renaming it "Easter".

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 3:32:25 PM PST
CT: The Christians hijacked the festival, as they did the spring fertility festival, renaming it "Easter".

BPL: If they decide to have a festival during the Winter Solstice, it means they've "hijacked" it? Prejudiced much?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 8:21:11 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2012 8:21:36 PM PST
Last night, the cashier at Sam's Club greeted me with a "Have a merry winter solstice."

TSNTPW: You realize it IS the winter's solstice, as you are posting on a science forum, no?

And you could always say "Merry Christmas" back, if you wanted to "turn the other cheek". LOL.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 8:24:55 PM PST
barbW says:
it's not the winter solstice downunder

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 8:27:05 PM PST
Then Wallaby-Mart can have a different greeting!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 8:37:26 PM PST
Werranth413:it's not the winter solstice downunder

TSNTPW: Lol. just Christmas, right?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0xa2c0af3c)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  32
Initial post:  Dec 17, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 5, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions