Customer Discussions > Science forum

What About the 21st Century Would Most Surprise Vistors from the 18th and 19th Centuries?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 56 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 13, 2012 5:30:54 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 5:43:52 PM PST
Karen L. says:
I've been reading a lot of fiction published in the 19th century. The books sometimes have characters described as very old and/or decrepit, many of whom are in their 60s. If people were to come to this century from the 18th and 19th centuries, I don't think they would be most surprised by any aspect of technology like iphones and cars. I think they would be astounded by the sheer number of really ancient people in everyday life today. Everyone would appear so old (except Joan Rivers). I would be interested in knowing if others agree with this.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 5:39:02 PM PST
Doctor Who says:
I don't think they would get past the mini skirts. Emma Peel made quite a splash in her rather long skirt not too long ago.
I also think they would be utterly shocked at how many people live in cities.
If anyone actually took the time to look past that, I think computers would shock the living daylights out of them, especially if they tried to open them.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 5:47:52 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 13, 2012 5:48:37 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 5:48:47 PM PST
Karen,

Not any more, they have put better grounding capabilities in them now!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 5:52:28 PM PST
Karen L. says:
Reed ND Dark. Yes, I realized that, which is why I deleted that post. You saw it before I took it down.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 6:47:09 PM PST
Karen,

I didn't think you meant it other than in the means of "surprise"! Computers that had very little storage took whole warehouses.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 6:47:53 PM PST
I think that such visitors might be surprised that people still go to work in a horse and buggy.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 6:59:43 PM PST
Karen L. says:
I'm watching TV right now and it occurs to me that AndroGel and other products advertised might give peeps from the past quite a surprise.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 7:01:11 PM PST
Karen L. says:
I wish they wouldn't. So cruel to the horses.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 7:07:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 7:10:44 PM PST
Irish Lace says:
My hub and I were talking about that over dinner recently in the context of what our parents would think if they came back and could watch their great granddaughter playing a little seek and find game ... on my IPad. I think many things would amaze them. I got a chuckle thinking about my Dad watching golf or football in HD on a 64" flatscreen in surround sound.

The idea of joint replacement would blow them away, I suspect, along with so many other medical advancements.

What would surprise them the most? I think it would be the crudeness and coarsening of American culture and language.

And sagging pants.

Oh, and a black PoTUS - a _reelected_ black PoTUS. THAT would really blow them away.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 7:31:30 PM PST
Karen Lee,

And how is that? They are shod for roads, those that travel on roads, and they are well kept and well fed. What is it that is cruel?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 7:37:28 PM PST
Irish Lace says:
I had a similar reaction, Reed. I suspect it might be PETA madness from someone who knows nothing about horses.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 7:43:37 PM PST
Irish,

I can't even figure it from PETA --- they aren't wearing or killing the horses for dog food: I don't get it!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 8:16:18 PM PST
transportation
communications
education
food production
superstores
medical care

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 8:18:02 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 8:21:05 PM PST
Horse,

So, you consider the 18th and 19th Centuries Biblical Times?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 8:26:24 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 8:31:52 PM PST
Horse,

It is in the "heading".

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 8:32:51 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 8:32:52 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 4:15:22 AM PST
Karen L. says:
Reed, I should not have said anything about the horses. It's not relevant to this discussion.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 4:31:57 AM PST
Those *rebels* that weren't convinced by all religious beliefs of the time would be amazed at how many people today are similarly unconvinced - or would they be amazed at how many still believe all that stuff?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 5:02:36 AM PST
Karen L. says:
Philip,
Yes, either way.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 5:35:27 AM PST
Irish Lace says:
Stop trying. (~_*)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 5:36:14 AM PST
Irish Lace says:
Completely irrelevant, horse.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  56
Initial post:  Nov 13, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions