Customer Discussions > Science forum

Stephen Hawking is WRONG about many things - there is a GOD(7_4)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 131 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 20, 2013 10:13:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 14, 2013 1:21:26 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 10:13:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2013 6:57:34 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 11:13:38 AM PST
Ferbilini says:
sounds pretty good too me

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 10:12:47 PM PST
Re OP: Off your meds again, I see...

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 11:18:48 PM PST
Britain's most eminent scientist said there was nothing beyond the moment when the brain flickers for the final time. Brad Watson believes that a mythological Bronze age God has a special relationship with him. Which should I believe? Hmmm, hard decision?

Come see my facebook page - Dangerous Wishcraft: religion and mental health for more discussion on science and religion.

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 5:58:33 AM PST
Brian Curtis says:
I'd be glad to compare Hawking's credentials and accomplishments with Brad Watson's... but I somehow suspect Brad wouldn't enjoy the results.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2013 6:23:27 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 25, 2013 7:39:45 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2013 6:24:36 AM PST
A customer says:
Surely that would be E=jc2.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2013 6:27:46 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2013 6:37:47 AM PST
John McClain says:
"You don't believe in GOD and dismiss all scientific proofs of His existence."

There are none.

"You see creation all around you, but believe there is no Creator and dismiss all scientific proofs of His existence."

There are none.

"You don't believe that Jesus son of Joseph was the Christ/God incarnate and dismiss all scientific proofs of His existence."

There are none.

"You don't believe in reincarnation and dismiss all scientific proofs of it."

There are none.

"You don't believe in the 2nd Coming of the Christ (E=mc2) and dismiss all scientific proofs of this."

There are none.

"WARNING! Repent or you are about to receive your Judgment Day."

It would seem far more likely that you are simply off of your medication. Please seek psychiatric help.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2013 6:39:17 AM PST
A customer says:
That would seem to be mostly yes, then!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2013 6:46:37 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2013 6:58:14 AM PST
Brian Curtis says:
Not really, Dan. Hawking points to specific, empirical evidence for his claim, which is something that non-scientists seldom do. It's what sets science apart from faith and makes it so much more reliable and credible when it comes to truth claims: EVIDENCE.

All opinions are not equally valid; some are informed.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2013 7:02:08 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2013 7:03:03 AM PST
A customer says:
Dan - What Brian said. The fact that we cannot be completely certain does not rule out being able to make a sufficiently educated assessment as to be convinced. Not knowing everything does not equate with not knowing anything. I consider that we can be pretty damned sure that consciousness arises out of brain function. Yes, the physical brain organisation or the information states that produce consciousness COULD be being backed up somewhere for later retrieval, but what evidence so much as hints at this?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2013 7:06:29 AM PST
A customer says:
Dan - "What evidence can he possibly have that proofs life after death does not exist"

This being a positive assertion, it would seem to require evidence in its favour. Demands for proof of a negative are generally frowned upon.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2013 7:08:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 21, 2013 7:19:33 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2013 7:19:59 AM PST
A customer says:
This is a science forum, Dan.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2013 7:25:00 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2013 7:32:44 AM PST
A customer says:
Gouge your brain out with an ice-cream scoop and tell me otherwise.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2013 7:41:58 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2013 7:49:17 AM PST
you truly are nothing if not delusional and brainwashed. have you heard nothing said here and elsewhere?
You off absolutely no proof, of any kind, to the existence of god except for your opinion based on the opinions of others.
You said : "You don't believe that Jesus son of Joseph was the Christ/God incarnate... "
I thought that Jesus was supposed to be the son of an ethereal God and not of a man, hence, Joseph?
In short, you seem desperate to prove your own, narrow minded vision of of a Savour who is overdue by 2000 years.
What you call the Judgment Day is a figment of demented and authoritarian personalities. We call them Church Fathers. Everyday is a personal judgment day if one cares to analyze ones life, deeds and thoughts.
And it is mightily Un-godlike to call another a liar when, you yourself, know not of what you speak.
You can no more prove anything that you so meticulously listed (acting like the scribes and pharisees) than you can prove up is up or down is down. Everything that you list has been indoctrinated into you; nothing you list has the benefit of direct knowledge.
I know, I know... you will decry that you have a personal relationship with God... as a good Christian should... but you would be telling a falsehood. You know nothing of God, for there is no God outside the Universe itself... and that includes you. Or, are you going to suggest that you are, somehow, outside the Universe?
And do not show the unmitigated gall as to warn people of Judgment Day; instead, take a good long look in the mirror and see if your self-righteousness is dripping on the floor.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2013 7:58:15 AM PST
A customer says:
I certainly do not mean the latter. But your reasoning is rapidly turning into spaghetti. The brain IS three-dimensional and we have extremely compelling reason to believe that it is the seat of consciousness. We can plug chips into it to restore sight and practically read thoughts with physical scanning. We can poke a bit of the brain with a stick and make you move your arm, or poke another bit and make you WANT to move your arm. What possible reason can we have for believing that consciousness does NOT inhere in the physical brain?

And if you start off about fourth dimensions again I want exact measurements.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2013 8:01:45 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2013 8:10:56 AM PST
A customer says:
Dan - "Do you say that there is no possibility of a fourth dimension that you aren't aware of?"

No-one here would even suggest that. There are extra dimensions that scientists ARE aware of. No gods in 'em so far. The hidden can always be somewhere ahead.

Your reasoning is inverted. We require a reason to accept that there IS something in this "fourth dimension". To start with if you're going to call it a dimension we want measurements. The problem with the hidden is not that it cannot be there but that it could be ANYTHING. That's how the Flying Spaghetti Monster (pbuhp) got started. Why should we accept that the hidden is restricted to YOUR gods? There are millions of gods to choose among.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  131
Initial post:  Feb 20, 2013
Latest post:  May 30, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions