Customer Discussions > Science forum

UFO's

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 356 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 20, 2012 12:20:08 PM PDT
Jason says:
As I was flipping the channels on the tv yesterday evening, I wondered upon this progam on H2 about UFO's.

It was basically laying out the very best evidence for their existence.

Personally, I've always been of the opinion that UFO's aren't real. My main reasoning being that such a vast conspiracy could never be kept a secret. But......then I sorta realized it is not a well kept secret (if it is true).......heck, we've all heard of UFO's and heard of reports of UFO's.

Honestly, this left me questioning my own reasoning for not giving it much thought previously.

I'd like to hear opinions on UFO's.......whether they are real or not.

If you want to fight and argue then please ignore this thread.

And....UFO's are not political or religious.......so lets just avoid that if we can for once.

After watching the program I came to an opinion of my own......

There seems to be pretty good evidence that something is occasionally flying about in our atmosphere that doesn't appear to be of this world.<<<<<<that is my current OPINION

They had stuff on alien bodies and all that as well but I found the supporting "evidence" to be iffy at the very best.......honestly, just hard to believe at all.

Have any of you ever given any thought to UFO's and whether they may be real?

Posted on Apr 20, 2012 12:26:01 PM PDT
Rev. Otter says:
flying objects that are unidentified? sure.

alien visitation? no.

/sorry in advance if you wanted more discussion than that :)

Posted on Apr 20, 2012 12:31:16 PM PDT
Jason says:
So Rev.

You think they are most likely atmospheric things or military aircraft......that type of stuff?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2012 1:23:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 20, 2012 1:25:54 PM PDT
Rev. Otter says:
<<You think they are most likely atmospheric things or military aircraft......that type of stuff?>>

"they"? what "they"? did you link to or reference a specific case, and i missed it?

or did you mean stuff on that tv show you mentioned? i don't have cable, so can't address either the program or its content.

Posted on Apr 20, 2012 1:36:21 PM PDT
This is one of my pet top 10 peeves.
UFO's? Unidentified Flying Objects?
Do I believe? No. They exist!

Flying saucers? No
Martians? No
Greys? No

I have watched the shows with shaky cameras and blurry pictures claiming proof. Really?

Posted on Apr 20, 2012 2:50:28 PM PDT
K. Battor says:
What I like is all those stories of ufo's buzzing airliners. I find it strange that none of those supposed witnesses have a cell phone or something to take a picture of it. And I can never understand the purpose of aliens travelling all those light years just to fly around in our skies.

Posted on Apr 20, 2012 9:53:44 PM PDT
I have an opinion: I think they are real. And I think that one of the oldest books in the world actually does mention them, the Bible. How does one explain Ezekiel 1? or Genesis 6:1-5? kinda creepy

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2012 10:23:27 PM PDT
tom kriske says:
yes, seriously creepy...like, wow. i mean, Genesis 6:1-5, are you friggin crazy!! who can withstand that!!!

wow, i'm like really tripped out. i need to consult the vishna vedas, as well as the i chimichimga's...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2012 11:21:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 20, 2012 11:23:31 PM PDT
Lj3d says:
Jason says: See OP.

Lj3d: As you will see after reading this, I have given plenty of thought over this question. After over half a century of the same stuff since the UFO phenomenon of the modern age began, the only thing I can come up with is that this is some sort of evidence of the human need to believe in something. Three decades ago, I figured we would know what they were well before now. If they are ET piloted vehicles, the occupants would have announced themselves by now it would seem to me. Why travel light years to Earth to basically play in the sky, put on fancy light shows, abduct a few people from isolated locales, and write cryptic crop circle messages we will never have any hope of understanding?

The one thing that has changed in half a century, UFOs are big business. Books, videos, Discovery Channel type specials. All offer no undeniable proof of what these sightings are, they let you decide instead. But plenty of people make money off of them. You mentioned not wanting to make it a religious discussion? Unfortunately, without definitive proof of what UFOs actually are, the whole phenomenon has taken on a religious dimension. Look at the various cults that have sprang up such as Rael and Heavens Gate. Look at the parallels to UFOlogy and religion. Look at the people who simply want to believe with little or no evidence whatsoever. People who will propose the wackiest explanations while diregarding a mundane one.

The alien body thing has since been proven to be yet another hoax in a long line of hoaxes. UFO proponents often say why would anyone do this as an elaborate hoax? Asking this even after elaborate hoaxes are proven. The link below has details on the alien body stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_autopsy

The government conspiracy is a big part of the UFO phenomenon. And it would be impossible for the government to cover up ETs unless the ETs wanted it this way which gets us back to the question of why. Why would a Darth Vader type for example, want to submit their authority to an inferior backwater planets government when they could just takeover such a world if it has something of value? Some people claim there are numerous ETs visiting earth. With this kind of claim, why hasn't even one of them been proven beyond the shadow of doubt by now?

Someday we may have the answer as to what this phenomenon is all about. And it is possible that we are, or have been visited. But the evidence is not compelling enough for me to conclude that beyond the shadow of doubt.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2012 3:15:11 AM PDT
I do believe that there are UFO's. I am not willing to call it yet on what or who they are.

I think it's intriguing that Christopher Columbus mentions in his log.seeing a UFO on his voyage to America. Cotton Nash, a famous and well-respected early American preacher is cited by NASA in a moon anomaly report as seeing a light fly across the surface of the moon. With the age of the universe compared with man's short history, in context of the mathematical probability of life on other planets, I can't fathom the disbelief that a species 5000 times older than the human race would be capable of interstellar travel.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2012 6:31:10 AM PDT
Charlie T. says:
The Rod says "I can't fathom the disbelief that a species 5000 times older than the human race would be capable of interstellar travel. "

Maybe this is why:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13119636-alone-in-the-universe

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2012 8:48:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 21, 2012 8:53:26 AM PDT
jason

of course ufos are real
lots of object fly
some of them are unidentified
qed

the question is do they come from other planets
and have little green men inside them

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2012 8:49:36 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2012 8:51:05 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 21, 2012 8:54:02 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2012 8:52:18 AM PDT
reply to Lj3d's post:

religion ?

sounds like ufos in the bible
ezekiel is a good example
genesis a bit of a stretch but could describe them

Posted on Apr 21, 2012 11:15:51 AM PDT
K. Battor says:
Reply to whomper:

If NASA has good photos and are suppressing them, than how did you get a look at them?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2012 2:50:03 PM PDT
Lj3d says:
Jonathan D. Kober says: I have an opinion: I think they are real. And I think that one of the oldest books in the world actually does mention them, the Bible. How does one explain Ezekiel 1? or Genesis 6:1-5? kinda creepy

Lj3d: Since were in the science forum here...seems a little scientific analysis is called for using Occams razor as a guide. Further analysis would take a look at the design of such a craft. Google Ezekiel and several images of the vision come up. None of the images are the same because they were interpreted differently by the painters who painted them. The description of the vision in Ezekiel goes into a little detail about the beastly occupants, the wheels and fire. It has been suggested the fire is a rocket exhaust not unlike the solid rockets of the shuttle. This would suggest the vehicle is built with modern day tech. Why would this be the case if UFOs sighted these days can zip around the sky performing exotic maneuvers and usually having no exhaust of any kind? Seems more likely that modern day interpreters attach significance to the fire being solid rockets because they forgot to factor in how much more advanced than todays solid rocket powered vehicles, the Ezekiel vehicle would have to be.

In looking at the paintings, I see the most likely explanation being that the writers imagined a vehicle. Man was obsessed with flight until we finally learned how to fly. But prior to the Wright Brothers, all sorts of flying vehicles were imagined. Prior to the advent of science, flying vehicles were imagined that were not possible from an aerospace engineering standpoint were they ever to actually be built.

So what is more likely? Ezekial describes the landing of an ET piloted spacecraft (Which BTW, would call Gods questions into origin since he was apparently aboard)? Or ancient writers who knew little of space travel, were simply describing a flying vehicle as best they could imagine it?

As for the Genesis passage, I don't see anything in there that could even be remotely interpreted as UFOs.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2012 2:51:55 PM PDT
Lj3d says:
I can see Ezekiel being interpreted as UFOs, but the Genesis account in my Bible does not describe any vehicles that I can see.

Posted on Apr 21, 2012 3:02:09 PM PDT
So who are the Nephilim? google that

Posted on Apr 21, 2012 3:41:17 PM PDT
Lj3d says:
That clarifies the Genesis entry you put up. Heres the problem. Is God the almighty? Or just another being albiet more advanced than we are, but a being with capabilities and limitations? Since the Bible is a book written by people of ancient times...a book that we have no proof was written any other way, ask yourself what makes more sense. Are the Nephilim the construct of imaginative superstitious writers of ancient times? Or are they really the Sons of Gods, descendants of aliens?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2012 3:47:04 PM PDT
reply to K. Battor's post:

i worked at nasa

the astronauts told us they took the pix
so you tell me why the govt wont release them

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2012 3:48:21 PM PDT

Posted on Apr 21, 2012 4:01:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 21, 2012 4:01:56 PM PDT
Lj3d says:
It only has to be ETs if you take the account literally. If you look at the Bible and see it as a mix of stories...some may be allegorical and some may be historical. Figuring out which is which is apparently a challenge. If you read a fairy tale from ancient times that describes magic dragons...do you automatically believe the dragons in that actually exist?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2012 4:05:55 PM PDT
Lj3d says:
whomper says: reply to K. Battor's post: nasa has photos from the astronauts good luck prying a copy out of the govt wrightpat afb in ohio has the actual aliens and spaceships it is in hangar 15 in the sub basement and they have a couple deep inside areas 51 too

Lj3d: Lets use Occams razor here. What makes more sense, a space agency starved for funding since Apollo, decides to keep secret the very thing that would get them Apollo on steroids funding? Or are government conspiracies a necessary element of UFO folklore?

Posted on Apr 21, 2012 6:44:01 PM PDT
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science forum
Participants:  49
Total posts:  356
Initial post:  Apr 20, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 29, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions