Customer Discussions > Science forum

Please! Help me find this book

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 29, 2012 2:49:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 3:03:04 PM PST
I'm looking for a book that consist of a series of graphic illustrations showing the changing of a city from a small village through the different ages as it grows into a modern city. I can't remember the name of the book or the author, but I know he published at least two different books because I owned both of them and let them get away. Please help me.

I'd like to give more clues, but they are sketchy. The illustrations began as aerial renditions of the site beginning when the tribe was just a hunter/gatherer people, next view was putting down roots and establishing crops, next was building walls, next was extending the walled city into defensive fortifications, next was growing outside the walls, and so on it went until the last graphic rendition was the modern city. It was a coffee table size book with pen and ink graphics. As a city planner, it held special interest. It shows the history/growth of the modern city. I will post in science also.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 4:12:34 PM PST
The Weasel says:
Dan,
I have no idea. But it sounds great so I'll add this post to bump the thread and so I can be reminded to check for the book title if someone else posts it.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 4:26:53 PM PST
Bubba says:
This probably isn't what you were looking for, but it sounds similar to what you were describing:

Cities in evolution: an introduction to the town planning movement and to the study of civics by Patrick Geddes

It is available for free in several electronic formats from archive.org

http://archive.org/details/citiesinevolutio00gedduoft

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 5:10:22 PM PST
Don't know the specific book you want, but the description sounds like something published by Dorling-Kindersley.

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 6:17:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2012 6:18:11 AM PST
Brian Curtis says:
Sorry, doesn't ring any bells with me either.

There's a web site devoted to finding books by such descriptions-- "What's that book?" You might want to ask there.

http://www.whatsthatbook.com/

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 2:00:00 PM PST
wow

who knew

i guess we should have known that the net has everything somewhere if you can find it
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Science forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
97% of Climate Scientists say Global Warming is our Greatest Threat 418 2 minutes ago
There has been no global warming in 18 years (as of August, 2014) 24 7 minutes ago
was the moon landing real or fake, and why? 5178 1 hour ago
Is there ANY Scientific case that an embryo is NOT a human being? 25 1 hour ago
Knowledge 1541 4 hours ago
Global warming is the most serious problem of our generation part 2 2317 4 hours ago
1 in 4 Americans Apparently Unaware the Earth Orbits the Sun 134 4 hours ago
Hands up, all those who actually believe that the Antarctic is in danger of melting! 13 4 hours ago
Solar Freakin' Roadways 26 6 hours ago
Science, Intellectual-property, Know-how, Profit and Poverty 0 7 hours ago
Science is corrupt: NAS members can `choose who will review their paper' 18 8 hours ago
Inherit the Wind 499 10 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Nov 29, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 30, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions