Customer Discussions > Science forum

EMP - a real threat? any defenses ? NK about to destroy the usa ??

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 1:27:47 PM PST
Doctor Who says:
That is what I thought to. However, the Wiki states things differently. The difference may be that they acquired nukes else where and cannot yet build them.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 10:46:42 AM PST
Bubba says:
As far as I know, NK has only tested one nuclear warhead -- and it was a fizzle.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 8:59:57 PM PST
Doctor Who says:
I don't think you can count on NK to be rational. I also don't think they have the ability to directly threaten the US. Their missiles can barely make it to Japan. I also don't think China would let NK be that aggressive, just to protect their own interests. Of course, I don't think the US or Japan should take that threat lying down.

As for size, I also don't believe they have the capacity for such large scale weapons. It took the USSR and US a rather long series of tests to work out how to built the really big bombs.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 7:56:14 PM PST
Bubba says:
A Soviet high-altitude test detonated a 300 kt missile-warhead at 290 km (180 miles) altitude in 1962. The EMP fused 570 km (354 miles) of overhead telephone lines, started a fire that burned down a power plant, and shut down 1,000 km (621 miles) of shallow-buried power cables. Pretty impressive.

Can NK build and deliver nukes that large? Does NK really want to start a nuclear war with the US?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 7:06:28 PM PST
Doctor Who says:
1) I doubt that NK has a delivery system. None of their missiles appear to have sufficient range.
2) The US considered deploying similar weapons against the USSR as part of the so called "star wars" program under President Reagan. It involved multiple warheads to be able to neutralize the USSR. NK does not have the production capacity.
3) It is easily possible to shield computers from the effects, either by turning them off or by using a Faraday cage. The military would not be disabled.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 6:53:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 24, 2012 9:55:44 PM PST
Probably, just like EMF was Unbelievable.

Initial post: Dec 24, 2012 9:01:06 AM PST
washtimes today says NK is nearly ready to deply an EMP weapon over the usa that would destroy us completely.

EMP overhyped threat?
Are their defenses?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Dec 24, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 25, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions