Customer Discussions > Science forum

Why can't we all get along?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 60 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 3:24:20 PM PST
Bill M

All the things you say about Rodney Glen King's criminal history may be true, but they're irrelevant. Words of wisdom can come from anyone, anywhere, any time; it's up to us to appreciate them. That's what his sound bite represented: a bit of wisdom.

Arpard is exactly right about King. He was an alcoholic who struggled to get & stay sober, & had PTSD symptoms. Sometimes he did well, sometimes not.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 8:54:38 AM PST
I did not vote "no". I never use that button. It should be abolished, because hardly anyone uses it the way it's supposed to be used.

Agree with your comments about Rodney King.

I don't know if you ever watched any of the segments on him from the series "Celebrity Rehab" with Dr. Drew. He was a sad-sack character, an alcoholic who probably had PTSD from his beating, someone to be pitied. It was a shame that he had to die the way he did.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 8:49:50 AM PST
Bill M. says:
Gee, thanks for the "no" vote.

>>Having a criminal record does not in and of itself excuse the use of violence by police.

I'm not saying otherwise. Beating an apprehended person when he's already down on the ground is excessive, and from what I remember, of the 4 officers who were there, the 2 who beat him when he was down rightfully got convicted. What I'm pointing out, however, is that people seem to be oblivious to the fact that Rodney King wasn't some one-time offender, nor a martyr, nor somebody who stopped breaking the law and getting arrested after the incident.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 8:31:56 AM PST
Having a criminal record does not in and of itself excuse the use of violence by police. The use of violence by police must always be justified by the facts of the individual encounter, and must be proportionate to the need, not a form of police-administered punishment.

In the past, prior to the widespread availability of videotaping technology to private citizens, having a criminal record meant that accusations of police brutality were much easier to ignore or dismiss. Not anymore.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 8:10:30 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 2, 2013 8:10:58 AM PST
Bill M. says:
>>Rodney king said that after he got the s++t kicked out of him

Not to mention that he had a criminal record before the whole video-taping beating, and after that quote he'd end up getting arrested again for more crime. But yeah, I remember when that soundbite got played over and over. Hmm, I wonder if that's when the news first started the frequent use of repeating soundbites?

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 3:45:24 PM PST
Treehugger© says:
Rodney king said that after he got the s++t kicked out of him

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 8:34:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2013 8:39:21 AM PST
CS

A profound question, as articulated by the late R Glen King:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sONfxPCTU0

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 10:09:16 AM PST
Rev. Otter says:
the Grill of Justice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LicptUy9Ay4

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 9:57:08 AM PST
I see I'm gonna have to keep my George Formby grill close at hand for defensive purposes.

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/2900/georgegrill.jpg

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 7:08:34 AM PST
I sense you are a formidable competitor for the captive market.

I have not yet begun to fight!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 6:49:42 AM PST
Whilst you go into a huddle with your advisers I'll be off to sell this box of NBL gear I whipped up on my trusty peddle powered sewing machine and waffle maker.

What you lose in the quality you make up for with the waffle.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 6:23:49 AM PST
Hmmm........a rather ingenious argument for which I don't have an immediate reply.....

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 5:51:45 AM PST
Oh, stop being so defeatist, you grouch.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 5:50:21 AM PST
Intillect had nothing to do with it, so I don't see you have a case.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 5:49:12 AM PST
California Shrink - 'Why can't we all get along?"

Because we evolved as primates in hierarchical clans, competing for resources. We can try to get along, but competitiveness, envy, etc will always show up somewhere.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 5:38:18 AM PST
arpard fazakas says:
They're popular in prisons.

JUST SAYING says:
Nothing like a captive audience...

That was truly awful - I like it!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 5:28:01 AM PST
You'll be receiving a cease and desist letter shortly from our lawyers. Clearly you've stolen our intellectual property.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 5:27:13 AM PST
Excellent suggestion! We'll definitely be adding that one to our line.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 6:11:11 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2012 5:53:09 AM PST
I'm working on a line of hats and T-shirts.

One is "I heart snitches" but with a knife through the heart, and another is GaBoS.

That's slammer patois for "Game ain't built on sympathy".

I haven't decided on the colour but I'm thinking pink.

That should really pop in those grey surrounds.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 5:59:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2012 6:39:23 AM PST
.....and "Be my bitch?" for when you and that special someone are ready to take your relationship to the next level.

Woof.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 2:53:29 PM PST
We're researching that. We've come up with a gift basket concept that includes a carton of cigarettes, various dried fruits suitable for making Pruno, and inspirational books like "Eat, Pray, Don't Snitch", "Chicken Soup for the Hole", and "Tuesdays with Manson".

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 2:20:01 PM PST
JOHN DOE says:
Maybe you could branch out - soap on a rope with a shiv - plastic soap on a rope could be explosive - suppository soap for those tender moments.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 2:02:34 PM PST
Oh yes. We have "Thanks for the Heroin", "You're a Dirty Rotten Screw", and the best-selling "Please Don't Tase Me Bro".

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 1:58:22 PM PST
JOHN DOE says:
Do you have cards the inmates can give to the guards and warden?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 1:52:33 PM PST
Yes! A key part of our business model.

We have cards for all occasions: Happy Release Day, Get Out Soon, Only Nine More Years!, Let's Be Cellmates, you name it.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  60
Initial post:  Dec 24, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 2, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions