Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Science forum

Possibility of Creating New Artificial Species

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 30, 2012 8:05:29 PM PST
Mansu Kim says:
Hello!

I have a little question on artificial speciation. What I am wondering is not the typical artificial dog breeding for desired traits, but rather creating new species through bio-engineering.

What will happen if insect's gene (before gamete formation) is mixed to the human genes during the fertilization. I know that it is really hard for different species to breed, but I am just curious (Not that I wanna do it).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 8:16:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2012 8:17:42 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 8:19:20 PM PST
Mansu Kim says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 8:33:41 PM PST
S. Kessler says:
Is that actually in the bible, Mansu?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 9:33:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2012 9:34:14 PM PST
been done

you get a hybrid in between

you cant make a new bigger better faster stronger smarter species

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 9:34:02 PM PST
you knwo that ?

how do you know that ?
got a signed memo?
claim its in the bible somewhere?

or what ?? just how do you knwo that wild claim is true ???

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 10:02:29 PM PST
Re OP: Artificial speciation has been done for some years now. Fully 75% of the US corn crop, 90% of soybeans, and a significant percentage of cotton are actually new species created by genetic engineering. This is a multi-billon dollar a year business.

An insect gene introduced into a human genome is unlikely to result in offspring. But the current human genome contains traces of viruses picked up along the evolutionary trail.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 10:05:08 PM PST
Re Mansu Kim, 11-30 8:19 PM: "I know God forbids the creation of species." Which has not kept scientist from doing it, as I have described earlier. Before you put too much stock in what you think that your god does, you should first show, by competent evidence, that the thing exists. If you manage to pull this off, you will be the first person in the entire history of the human race ever to have done so.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 10:14:26 PM PST
Jeff Marzano says:
Mansu Kim says:

[What will happen if insect's gene (before gamete formation) is mixed to the human genes during the fertilization.]

This is an interesting subject and is fertile ground for conspiracy theories as far as what the governments around the world may be doing in this area.

There was the mysterious case of the Montauk Monster. A dead animal washed up on the shore of Montauk on Long Island in New York. This creature appeared to be a conglomeration of different animals all merged together.

Supposedly there's a government animal research lab near there. Some people speculate that this hybrid monstrosity was secretly created there and accidentally flushed down the wrong drain.

It's ironic that it washed ashore near Montauk, a place which is already infamous in conspiracy circles. The carcass mysteriously disappeared.

Supposedly human / alien hybrids are created during what is called alien abductions. Women find themselves mysteriously pregnant but then a few months later find that they are no longer pregnant. Under hypnosis they recall the aliens secretly coming and removing the fetus. Later they are shown the hybrid child that is only part human. Those strange conspiracy theories involve genetic engineering.

I recall seeing a photograph of a human ear growing on the back of a mouse. That was probably related to their efforts to grow human organs and other things using animals.

I saw on TV some years ago that even back then they already had the ability to create an Incredible Hulk. They could cause someone to be born as a giant with super human strength.

I heard a female scientist in China in 2003 took a rabbit egg, removed most of the rabbit DNA, and replaced it with human DNA. Supposedly they aren't able to bring such a hybrid creature to full term yet but that is probably only a matter of time.

Paleontologist Jack Horner was the scientific adviser for the movie Jurassic Park 3. Jack told Spielberg to use a Spinosaurus instead of a T Rex in the movie. Horner believes that within a few decades people will be able to create a dinosaur like creature by genetically re-engineering the embryo of a chicken or other bird. That's not really combining species but rather turning certain genes on and off in the embryo.

There are rumors that the Chupacabra creature was created in a CIA run lab down in Puerto Rico. They were trying to create a super soldier by combining the DNA of a human being with the DNA of a bat. Hurricane Hugo hit and knocked the fences down and the creature escaped into the jungle. The goat sucker has now been seen as far north as Florida.

I'll never forget that scene at the end of the movie The Fly. Vincent Price hears a faint voice coming from a spider's web saying "Help me !!!". Actually one of the ill fated experiments in that movie looks eerily similar to the Montauk Monster.

Jeff Marzano

The Fly (1958)/Return of the Fly (1959)

Eraserhead

The Montauk Project: Experiment in Time

The THREAT: Revealing the Secret Alien Agenda

The Bourne Identity

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 4:21:54 AM PST
This type of experiment would be considered unethical, because it is about genetically engineering humans.

There's no doubt it will be possible in the not too distant future to create new species through genetic engineering.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 5:57:48 AM PST
B. A. Dilger says:
Given mankind's propensity for experimental mischief, "splitting" human DNA with other species could lead to giant bactoids eating the "normal" population.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 8:53:51 AM PST
noman says:
RE: "arpard fazakas says:
This type of experiment would be considered unethical, because it is about genetically engineering humans."

**Every time Homo sap. reproduce they're conducting an *uncontrolled* genetic experiment.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 9:43:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2012 9:44:59 AM PST
But not an unethical one, necessarily.

My point was that any attempt to artificially modify a human genome other than for treatment of a genetic disease is considered unethical. This would include attempting to make hybrids of humans with other species, or "improving" humans not in the sense of correcting an inborn genetic error.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 9:49:16 AM PST
Ambulocetus says:
We can already put a jellyfish gene into cats and monkeys, with the result that these cats and monkeys, I kid you not, can GLOW IN THE DARK. The same researchers have been able to put rhesus macaque genes into cats, as well.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/blogpost/post/glow-in-the-dark-cats-jellyfish-and-monkeys-may-prevent-aids/2011/09/12/gIQAdq89MK_blog.html

We have also successfully put spider-silk proteins into goats. Why do this? Because spiders don't make much silk, goats make plenty of milk, and spider silk has a tensile strength greater than that of steel. Boil down and process the mild from one of these "spider-goats" and you can draw out strands of a building material with enormous practical possibilities:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/jan/14/synthetic-biology-spider-goat-genetics

Just putting one or two genes from an insect into a person would do very little--glow-in-the-dark monkeys or, in less desirable cases, horrible birth defects, would be all you could hope for. The problem is that even though every organism on earth has basically the same A, C, G, and T genetic code, genes interact with one another in complex ways. Further, some genes turn other genes on and off, particularly during embryonic development and, in animals like salamanders and butterflies, during metamorphosis. Thus, a bat is essentially just a rat whose arm-building and digit-building genes were left on longer in the womb (an oversimplification, of course, but you get the idea).
Endless Forms Most Beautiful: The New Science of Evo Devo

Ethical considerations aside, then, it will probably be many decades before all the genetic and epigenetic factors could be worked out in such a way as to produce anything like an insect-human hybrid.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 7:07:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2012 7:09:08 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 8:37:46 AM PST
Jeff Marzano says:
Daniel Dickson-LaPrade says:

[Ethical considerations aside, then, it will probably be many decades before all the genetic and epigenetic factors could be worked out in such a way as to produce anything like an insect-human hybrid.]

Still in a way what you described are hybrids.

I heard about that before where they have created goats that produce spider silk instead of milk.

All of this sounds like a universe of new ways that the human race can screw everything up.

There are strange legends from the ancient past about hybrid creatures.

In Homer's Iliad bloodbath story Achilles' teacher was a centaur. A centaur is part human and part horse.

Edgar Cayce referred to the sphinx statue at Giza as 'that mystery of mysteries'. The sphinx is part human and part lion.

The Cayce material contains many strange statements about these types of hybrids going back to ancient Egypt, Atlantis, and really to the earliest origins of the human race.

This is a very prominent and reoccurring theme in Cayce's Egyptian material. He said he himself as the Atlantean priest Ra Ta established a new religion and new temples in very ancient Egypt to help the offspring of those 'things' become normal.

Cayce felt one cause for the creation of those hybrids was that in the distant past human souls were able to move freely between dimensions. They wanted to experience this physical world and so began injecting themselves into various animal forms. Over time they themselves acquired the traits of those animals like tails, feathers, scales, etc., and they also became ensnared in this physical dimension.

Other people in the past like certain Atlanteans viewed the things as something less than human.

Perhaps this is a question we all need to ask ourselves. Would you look down on someone or feel they were different if they had the body of a human being but the head of a fly ?

Jeff Marzano

The Manster

The Brain That Wouldn't Die

Edgar Cayce's Egypt: Psychic Revelations on the Most Fascinating Civilization Ever Known

Metamorphosis

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2012 10:50:04 AM PST
In "The Fly", Jeff Goldblum ended the movie as a soupy mess.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2012 10:51:00 AM PST
I don't remember that particular rule. I'm re-reading the bible from start to finish. I'll let you know when I get through Leviticus.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2012 10:54:22 AM PST
Rev Otter says:
<<In "The Fly", Jeff Goldblum ended the movie as a soupy mess.>>

he seemed to have recovered by the time of the sequel, "Earth Girls are Easy".

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2012 10:55:06 AM PST
No wonder! He was one highly motivated human/fly hybrid!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2012 4:50:32 PM PST
Jeff Marzano says:
Jason P. Williams says:

[In "The Fly", Jeff Goldblum ended the movie as a soupy mess.]

Yes I saw that famous scene or another similar scene in one of those newer Fly movies.

I don't know how possible it would be to do something like that but the newer movies are thought provoking.

Goldblum was in one of the Jurassic Park movies and then he narrates a TV mini series about dinosaurs which I think is called When Dinosaurs Ruled.

The way prehistoric animals changed and evolved over time is an interesting subject. There was a prehistoric version of hyena called Hyaenodon. This animal had a special structure in its skull that allowed it to breath while holding on to prey. Its jaws had one of the most powerful bite forces in the history of land animals. I think 'Razor Jaws' is another name for Hyaenodon.

A T Rex was basically a walking skull. Nature made T Rex's arms very small to remove weight from the front of the body and help balance the massive skull.

Those types of TV shows talk about very long time periods. Ten million years isn't that long of a time in relation to how long prehistoric animals reigned on planet Earth.

But for our human race a few thousand years is like an eternity as our world seems to be constantly bordering on the brink of collapse from one day to the next.

Jeff Marzano
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Science forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Nov 30, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 6, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions