Customer Discussions > Science forum

What will the Earth and human society be like in 200 years?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 126 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 11:47:32 AM PST
Yeah her genes should be cloned too.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 11:50:22 AM PST
They say that whatever is hardest to become is considered most desirable. Now it's hardest to become skinny. Back then it was probably hardest to get really fat.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 11:50:29 AM PST
W.T. says:
My prediction?

The combination of rampant genetic manipulation for vanity purposes and a continuation of natural reproduction will lead to a wave of rampant mutations, including new degenerative genetic diseases that we currently can't even imagine. This will be due to our mistaking "knowing" the human genome for "fully understanding" it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 11:54:58 AM PST
Well, if we have the ability to correct genetic diseases by gene manipulation, then it won't be a problem.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 12:33:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 12:34:13 PM PST
Brian Curtis says:
There are so many different directions the world could go--so many trends in economics, politics, climate, technology, culture, etc.--that I would be highly suspicious of ANY predictions about the future of humanity beyond the next 10-20 years.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 12:46:40 PM PST
W.T. says:
That's where the concept of "unknown unknowns" rears its ugly head. We have thought we fully understood many things in the past, and almost always we are later proven wrong.

We have still made progress in the long haul, but it's never been anywhere near as smooth as predicted by futurists. There's always something that we never intended or thought about. That won't change. But we will continue to limp forward.

(Unless our whole civilization goes to hell in a hand-basket, which is also possible.)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 12:49:45 PM PST
I'm fairly optimistic that we'll be able to cope sufficiently with our current problems to be able to continue to progress as far as collecting and applying scientific knowledge.

I hope.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 1:46:58 PM PST
DarthRad says:
Who the heck wants Pamela Anderson? I want Gwyneth Paltrow cloned as Pepper Potts!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 4:27:55 PM PST
"Well, sometimes they are. Case in point: Pamela Anderson. "

If you like life in silico

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 4:29:00 PM PST
"but it might bring out our inner neotonous tunicate."

It's already here, the older I get the more sessile I get.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 4:48:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2012 9:42:28 AM PST
Jeff Marzano says:
arpard fazakas says:

[Various forms of anti-aging therapies are going to be a huge growth industry in this century.]

I probably already mentioned this but I think what we are trying to do today using drugs can be done in other ways such as using light and sound.

There's a very interesting past life memory in the following book where this guy remembered being a priest in very ancient Egypt:

Same Soul, Many Bodies

He said they used something called 'energy rods' which produced light and sound to stimulate the human body's ability to regenerate itself. They could for example cause the body to regrow an arm or leg that had been lost in warfare.

These arcane healing arts were practiced in the utmost secrecy in the temples. He said even the people who worked in the temples didn't know where the secret rooms were where this was done.

The secrecy aspect is important and consistent with ancient legends. The Egyptian pharaohs and priests were the keepers of ancient knowledge that the gods brought to this world. This type of knowledge was kept secret from the general population since they would not have understood it anyway and that type of knowledge becomes very dangerous in the wrong hands.

The bible alludes to some of this where Moses and Aaron have the confrontation with the pharaoh's no good magicians. The conflict between Moses and the Egyptians was in some ways a secret war in the sense that it involved secret knowledge.

As you said regeneration is the new frontier in medicine today. Rather than do organ transplants we will probably be able to cause the body to regenerate sick or damaged internal organs, spinal cords, etc..

Although I don't know how far they could go with this idea even in the ancient past. If someone got blown to bits could they just take a fingernail and regrow the guy ? I suspect the person probably had to at least be alive.

My simple understanding is every 7 to 10 years or so the human body recreates every one of its cells. Aging happens because when the cells are recreated the DNA starts to get frazzled around the edges so we age. Perhaps those highly evolved souls in ancient times could cause the body to recreate the cells in a perpetually healthy and useful state. Edgar Cayce during his life as the Atlantean priest Ra Ta made himself young again over a period of 7 years.

When the new age starts on December 21 perhaps we will rediscover some of this ancient knowledge.

Jeff Marzano

Edgar Cayce on Vibrations: Spirit in Motion

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 4:53:54 PM PST
Jeff Marzano says:
Ehkzu says:

[Wouldn't that be something ?]

It sure would.

So the human embryo also has a vestigial reptilian tail when it first forms in the womb ? OK so we leave that gene on. What happens ?

That's interesting since the Sumerian myths apparently contain references to reptilian ancestors of human beings.

New age guru David Icke says Obama and all former U.S. presidents are really reptiles in human form. Hillary and the Queen Of England are also.

They have pictures of them on the internet where their eyes turn green and get vertical slits in them at certain times. That's how they know.

Jeff Marzano

Secret Life: Firsthand, Documented Accounts of Ufo Abductions

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 4:55:24 PM PST
Jeff Marzano says:
arpard fazakas says:

[Actually I prefer Sharon Stone.]

Yes.

Basic Instinct (Unrated Director's Cut)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 5:02:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 5:09:15 PM PST
Jeff Marzano says:
Bill says:

[The combination of rampant genetic manipulation for vanity purposes and a continuation of natural reproduction will lead to a wave of rampant mutations, including new degenerative genetic diseases that we currently can't even imagine.]

Unfortunately during the Cold War some people did imagine it:

Biohazard: The Chilling True Story of the Largest Covert Biological Weapons Program in the World--Told from Inside by the Man Who Ran It

Those mad scientists used genetic engineering to create new versions of ancient pathogens like the plague and smallpox which the human body has never experienced before. They created organisms that could probably wipe out the entire human population depending on what their ultimate goals were when they engineered them.

Interestingly today viruses are becoming resistant to antibiotics which have apparently been severely misused and over prescribed over the last 50 years or so. Just in that short amount of time the human body became the evolutionary vehicle for creating a new generation of super germs.

That happened in Russia with their weaponized anthrax. Some of that crap got into the sewers and infected the rats. Years later they harvested it from the rats and it was like the deadliest form of anthrax they had ever seen.

Jeff Marzano

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 5:04:49 PM PST
Jeff Marzano says:
arpard fazakas says:

[I'm fairly optimistic that we'll be able to cope sufficiently with our current problems to be able to continue to progress as far as collecting and applying scientific knowledge.]

If all of the predictions about the new age are true everyone today should have a deep and intuitive feeling that a titanic struggle that has been going on for many thousands of years on planet Earth is coming to an end. That war has left scars on all of us, not only physically, but on our souls.

Like all wars there's going to be winners and losers.

Jeff Marzano

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 5:06:10 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 5:10:19 PM PST
Jeff Marzano says:
DarthRad says:

[I want Gwyneth Paltrow cloned as Pepper Potts !]

She was in The Avengers. I didn't even realize it was her at first.

Too bad what happened to her in this movie: Seven [Blu-ray Book]

Jeff Marzano

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 12:40:23 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2012 6:44:09 AM PST
DarthRad says:
Seven was one of those dreary critics favorites movies with no redeeming entertainment value that I could see. I fast forwarded through it the one time I tried to watch it. Tracy was one of those disposable girlfriend/wife/female victim/bimbo of the month roles that anybody could have played.

Pepper Potts, on the other hand, wow, what a wonderfully intelligent, intuitive, empowered and yet traditionally feminine creation, the ultimate Executive Assistant and Companion rolled into one. For sure she would never end up with her head in a box. It would be the other guy's head in the box, or his nuts and male appendage, which would hurt lots more.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 9:47:43 AM PST
Jeff Marzano says:
What you said is called a spoiler.

Now if someone watches Se7ven they are going to know what happens.

Jeff Marzano

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 9:28:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2012 9:30:15 PM PST
Interestingly, seems like two of the most prescient novels (in crude ways) are very early ones, which concern the idea of genetic haves, and have nots. Brave New World and The Time Machine

Seems like science fiction has been pretty horrible at predicting how computers have changed society. WIll we have computer controlled nanobots in our bloodstream fighting colds, erasing fat, and building muscles? Will we create artificial intelligence androids to have sex with? Will you be able to buy your own Gwyneth Paltrow bot? If she is still alive, will Gwyneth Paltrow get royalties?

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 10:23:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2012 11:53:26 AM PST
DarthRad says:
Seven deserves to be spoiled. What a rotten movie.

Whenever I watch a movie that I get bored with, I fast forward to the end. Spoiling Seven is a public service.

The Time Machine was more of a tale about de-evolution, not unlike Idiocracy except with a different outcome based on a different starting point.

H.G. Wells was looking at a world being split into the haves and have-nots - the brutish working class which seemed to be selected more for their strength and physical endurance than intelligence, and the educated elites controlling British industry. The stark separation of the two worlds seemed to be leading to two different evolutionary paths. Educated elites at that time were still having lots of children, as birth control was not commonplace then.

Idiocracy sees the current reality of the modern world where the educated elites have few if any children and thus become extinct, while the poorly educated throbbing masses keep pumping out massive numbers of offspring.

Neither of these scenarios deal with the reality of genetic engineering, which is going to be a game changer. Once we figure out how to tweak the genes for intelligence and physical strength and beauty, wow, the world is going to be very different. Which is why Gattaca provides some really interesting insights about how such a world might change.

A genetic clone of Gyneth Paltrow (tweaked to improve a few things even more) seems a more likely reality than a fembot version. We aren't anywhere near as close to building synthetic robot versions of people as we are to cloning real people. Plastic skin and motors and servo gears and computer chips have a long way to go yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 12:05:18 PM PST
Bubba says:
I think that some doctors are already using HGH on some celebrities to keep them "young".

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 1:32:52 PM PST
Ehkzu says:
re: hard to become fat

I have a hunch that as humanity was transitioning from hunting & gathering to farming, having a fat farmwife became a sign of a guy being a modern, successful kinda guy. Though "fat" is relative. "Fat" then didn't mean so obese you had to walk one leg at a time. More like Sofia Vergara vs. Anna Kournakova.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 2:12:06 PM PST
Ehkzu says:
re: clone vs. bot

From the POV of the probable customer, fembots are clearly preferable, because clones can say No.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 2:23:26 PM PST
Bubba says:
Clones can also have STDs, and fembots don't expect you to buy them drinks.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 2:33:55 PM PST
Ehkzu says:
Don't forget the same applies to manbots. They just require a few more gears and hydraulics. And they don't expect you to watch football....
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  126
Initial post:  Nov 9, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 5, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions