Customer Discussions > Science forum

The Big Bang Never Happened

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 3259 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 3:03:09 PM PST
Ben West says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 3:12:41 PM PST
tom kriske says:
And in Deuteronomy it was predicted that humanity would be plagued by high cholesterol and hypertension due to excess red meat consumption...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 3:26:31 PM PST
That's not correct. The galaxies are moving apart because space itself it expanding, thus increasing the distance between any 2 points in the universe. It has nothing to do with being "pulled by gravity".

Posted on Jan 13, 2013 3:27:35 PM PST
It's all relative...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 3:29:43 PM PST
Then why are the galaxies still moving away from each other?

They are being pulled by the gravity of the multiverse in which we live

BPL: Doesn't work. The gravity inside a uniform spherical shell is zero. Isaac Newton demonstrated that in the 1600s.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 4:18:50 PM PST
noman says:
RE: "Kenyon says:
Your post didn't add to the discussion, so I 'legitimately' no voted it. And I almost never do that."

**See...you can learn. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 10:19:06 PM PST
Jean Kilczer says:
Isn't that still just a theory with no actual proof?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 10:20:22 PM PST
Jean Kilczer says:
Yeah, yeah, Tom, but what's beyond the super-duper universe? LOL

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 10:24:55 PM PST
Jean Kilczer says:
Gee, I didn't know that. I'm still trying to figure out how Noah got all the dinosaurs on board. It must have been one big mother boat. No wonder our forests are decimated! What were you thinking, God?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 10:26:55 PM PST
Re Kinczer, 1-13 10:19 PM: "Isn't that still just a theory with no actual proof?" It is rarely possible to prove that ANY scientific theory is correct [1]. Scientists believe that a theory is correct if it has been tested by checking its predictions in many instances, and in all such instances the predictions turn out to be correct. For more on this, see [2, 3].

1. The theory of evolution is an exception: it is provably correct. See "saunderse" in "Belief in the Christian god is absurd" for details.
2. Popper, Conjectures and Refutations.
3. Popper, The Logic of Scientific Discovery (Routledge Classics).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 10:35:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 13, 2013 10:54:00 PM PST
Jean Kilczer says:
I agree, Robert.
Does anybody want to venture into the influence of dark matter and dark energy? From the little I know about them, they seem to be an integral part of what keeps the universe working so well.
As for evolution, I've heard that those poor beleaguered Polar Bears are trying to do some quantum leaps to adapt to the warming seas.
As for overlaying our incredible, sublime, and mysterious universe with a god who just happens to look exactly like us, perhaps it's better for religion, which does do some good deeds, to ask "Why" instead of getting into "How."

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 10:51:21 PM PST
Jean Kilczer says:
if you go back far enough, I think I read somewhere that cats and dogs evolved from the same species, as did all whales and dolphins from the same species as the hippo.
How do you explain the ninety-eight or so common DNA of humans and chimps? We're closer to chimps in that respect than chimps are to gorillas. We humans are a spectacular species, but that doesn't keep us from being subject to nature's laws. We're not the end-all. We're the most violent species ole earth has ever seen, and our technology, that gift and curse, may end up being our demise or our savior. If nature doesn't do us in first.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 2:43:20 AM PST
G. Heron says:
Drifter

If the universe has always existed and infinite how do you get around Olber's paradox?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 3:47:37 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2013 3:48:57 AM PST
JK: As for overlaying our incredible, sublime, and mysterious universe with a god who just happens to look exactly like us, perhaps it's better for religion, which does do some good deeds, to ask "Why" instead of getting into "How."

BPL: I believe anthropomorphism was condemned as a heresy in the 4th century.

An atheist attacking Christianity without knowing what it actually says looks just as dumb as a creationist attacking evolution without ever having studied the theory, and for the same reason.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 5:24:05 AM PST
Cosmic inflation solves the paradox. It puts enough of the universe permanently beyond where light could ever reach us to allow a dark night sky.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 5:38:53 AM PST
G. Heron says:
arpard fazakas

"Cosmic inflation solves the paradox. It puts enough of the universe permanently beyond where light could ever reach us to allow a dark night sky. "

In the real universe I agree but in the postulated universe that has always existed and is infinite I don't see how the paradox can be avoided.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 6:26:56 AM PST
Irish Lace says:
"I get them simply because I am religious. "

I disagree. I think you get them because you came roaring onto these boards with your back up and started slinging insults around like confetti. When you post thoughtfully and quit making accusations that you can't back with facts or evidence (ex.: "The voting that is being done here, is being done by the same trolls that stalk the Religion Forum. I am being no voted by the same people who do it to me, in the Religion Forum.") the No-voting will likely lessen. It won't stop because some people use it to express disagreement, but it will lessen and your Yes votes will likely rise.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 6:29:15 AM PST
Irish Lace says:
"It is hard to keep a discussion grounded, when participants are putting on erudite airs. "

And you wonder about why you get no-voted? Your point about logical proof was well stated and relevant. Was the snotty concluding comment necessary? Does it add to the discussion? No, Kenyon, it does not. Thus....

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 6:31:21 AM PST
Irish Lace says:
Actually, Kenyon, it did "add to the discussion" as you yourself had brought up the issue of who it was that was no-voting you and why.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 6:49:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2013 6:50:13 AM PST
barbW says:
cosmic inflation probably requires a finite beginning in time, (since we think we know what caused inflation)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 6:54:17 AM PST
Let's postulate that the universe has always existed. We know that at one time "shortly after" the Big Bang it was in an extremely hot, dense state. At this point there were no stars or galaxies, not even any elementary particles. Then there was a brief period of enormous, exponential expansion of space, which permanently placed most of this hot, dense "material" beyond the horizon of observability for us. A few hundred thousand years later, when the first stars began to form, this meant that there were many sight lines from us where the material that would have formed stars was moved permanently beyond the horizon of observability, thus allowing for a dark night sky.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 9:18:28 AM PST
barbW says:
there were no elementary particles, but inflation "placed most of this hot, dense "material" beyond the horizon of observability for us."?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 9:23:31 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2013 9:23:58 AM PST
barbW says:
The reason Olber's Paradox is no longer a paradox is because the universe is expanding and dissipating. As soon as the expansion ever stops, the universe will begin glowing in incandescence in every direction, especially if there's a blue shift.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 9:25:34 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 9:30:38 AM PST
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science forum
Participants:  57
Total posts:  3259
Initial post:  Jan 13, 2013
Latest post:  Apr 25, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions