Customer Discussions > Science forum

Darwin believed in God

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2012 12:56:59 AM PDT
Doctor Who says:
"But that doesn't make what they stood for wrong. Their position was right in their own time the same as it was right a century earlier and a 1000 years earlier than that."

The societies would hardly agree. The social structures already existed when they arrived. They were simply the catalyst that shifted the political to match the social, and they bent the norms of a few people quite out of shape, but the society already embraced the message.

YOU may think they were right, but everyone you listed shaped your world. In essence you were trained to think they were right.

Do you think the samurai were wrong to kill their injured enemies? Was their ethic of killing their enemies as quickly as possible wrong? Is their practice of assisted suicide wrong?

I don't believe your absolute moral system is ready to handle these situations. You have no culture to fall back on here.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2012 12:58:51 AM PDT
Doctor Who says:
Says the man who exemplifies moral certainty is hurting and killing millions of people all over the world.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2012 1:03:31 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2012 1:13:47 AM PDT
All of that is just horribly confused. The "convictions" of your "beliefs" are giving you a lot of trouble; you need to disabuse yourself of both. Hope seems to be small, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2012 1:17:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 3, 2012 1:26:30 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2012 1:22:58 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2012 1:45:48 AM PDT
You do not know about the trouble your beliefs are giving you, but that's just part of the trouble. If you are content with where you now are, that will be only transitory. Having large hope may be okay, but faith needs to drop to zero, because it is bogus. I doubt you will ever find this out in time.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2012 6:42:40 AM PDT
Irish Lace says:
Tsk, Dr. Janus. Go to your room.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2012 6:43:45 AM PDT
Irish Lace says:
You're about 14 aren't you?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2012 6:48:16 AM PDT
Irish Lace says:
"No he didn't discover anything. There were scientists and naturalists way before Darwin who discovered evolution. "

His magnificent scientific discovery was the method by which evolution works: Natural Selection. His beliefs regarding God are still entirely irrelevant.

Forest, if you will reply to a post by using the "Reply to this post" link at the bottom left of each post, we will all (including you) find your posts easier to follow. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2012 6:52:04 AM PDT
Irish Lace says:
"SinSeeker you did not explain why Darwin brought in "the creator" in his works whilst none of his influences and predecessors did. "

What difference does it make?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2012 6:53:08 AM PDT
Irish Lace says:
" Wrong is wrong, and there is no socially normal about it."

This is wrong.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2012 6:58:20 AM PDT
Irish Lace says:
"SinSeeker Irish Lace on the previous page wrote that Darwin discovered evolution."

No, numbnuts. I did not say that. I said, "What Darwin is remembered for is his magnificent scientific discovery. His thoughts regarding God are no more relevant to the facts of evolution than his thoughts regarding boxers vs. briefs."

Or did you not KNOW that Darwin's magnificent discovery was the _mechanism_ of evolution? Is that the problem. Are you a creationist looking for a fight who is getting crapola from creationist websites? So far, it appears that this may be the case.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2012 7:00:05 AM PDT
Irish Lace says:
"I am not a creationist (I actually am a webmaster of an anti-creationist website whichs gets millions of clicks a month)."

Uh huh. And yet you can't figure out how to use the "Reply" tool on this discussion forum.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2012 7:03:17 AM PDT
Irish Lace says:
Eugene, this is an excellent example of what you'll consistently get if you try to have a conversation with roach. I suggest you quit now before you spend any more precious time on him.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2012 7:04:11 AM PDT
Irish Lace says:
"Wrong is wrong. Social structures have nothing to do with it. "

This is still wrong.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2012 7:08:31 AM PDT
Irish Lace says:
"By the way, I recommend a good sociology course. "

Technically, I think roach has to graduate from high school first.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2012 7:09:55 AM PDT
noman says:
RE: "Forests says"...Darwin was a conman who stole his ideas from others...Alfred Wallace was the real brains.

**Strange then that Darwin and Wallace were lifelong friends and that Wallace himself never accused Darwin of theft, but rather had this to say:

"The present work will, I venture to think, prove, that I both saw at the time the value and scope of the law which I had discovered, and have since been able to apply it to some purpose in a few original lines of investigation. But here my claims cease. I have felt all my life, and I still feel, the most sincere satisfaction that Mr. Darwin had been at work long before me, and that it was not left for me to attempt to write "The
Origin of Species." I have long since measured my own strength, and know well that it would be quite unequal to that task. . . . My own more limited powers have, it is true, enabled me now and then to seize on
some conspicuous group of unappropriated facts, and to search out some generalisation which might bring them under the reign of known law; but they are not suited to that more scientific and more laborious
process of elaborate induction, which in Mr. Darwin's hands has led to such brilliant results.2"

http://cup.columbia.edu/media/2914/slottenexcerpt.pdf

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2012 7:22:30 AM PDT
Irish Lace says:
By George, you've got it!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2012 7:29:16 AM PDT
Irish Lace says:
"Doctor, my moral system is not absolute; it is open to alteration if I have sufficient reason to change my paradigm. And my moral system handled these situations easily. And I don't need culture to fall back on; I believe what is right because it is right, not because I blindly follow the culture I am currently living in. And when, and if, I have reason to change my moral system, I will. "

Wow. Just... wow.

No, nothing absolutist going on here at all. This is highly nuanced.

If a brick wall can be considered "nuanced."

Posted on Sep 3, 2012 7:32:18 AM PDT
Irish Lace says:
Hmmmm.... do you suppose Forest was just another seagull? Looks like that might be the case.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2012 7:35:38 AM PDT
barbW says:

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2012 7:52:11 AM PDT
S. Kessler says:
First learn to ask a meaningful question. That wasn't it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2012 7:55:37 AM PDT
S. Kessler says:
AC: Eugene, actually, slavery is more prevelant now than it ever has been,

SK: Really? What is your source for this assertion?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2012 8:00:05 AM PDT
S. Kessler says:
The fact that humans are a social species and need other humans to survive requires altruism among the group. Morality stems from the need to keep the group intact and productive.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science forum
Participants:  57
Total posts:  1874
Initial post:  Sep 2, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions