Customer Discussions > Science forum

Creationism..................... can't science offer a credible alternative?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 3480 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 8:38:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 2, 2012 10:27:15 AM PDT
A. Caplan says:
arpard fazakas says: From Edgar Allan Poe's immortal poem, "The Fart".
>Actually "The Fart" was written by Poe's older brother, Steve Allen Poe who also invented the whoopee cushion and the 'pull my finger' joke and, dropping his last name, hosted the Tonight Show (1954-1957).

Starkle starkle little twink
Who the Hell you are, I think?
The drunker I sit here the longer I get.
But, that's okay, because I have all sober to Monday up on.
-Credited to Steve Allen Poe (He claimed Edgar wrote it).

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 8:57:34 AM PDT
Excellent! Gave me a good laugh.

Posted on May 4, 2012 10:05:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 4, 2012 10:23:27 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 10:14:18 AM PDT
ErikR says:
Making stuff up is fun!

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 11:14:40 AM PDT
Open here I flung the shutter, when, with many a flirt and flutter,
In there stepped a stately raven of the saintly days of yore.
Not the least obeisance made he; not a minute stopped or stayed he;
But, with mien of lord or lady, perched above my chamber door -
Perched upon a bust of Pallas just above my chamber door -
Perched, and sat, and nothing more.

You're halfway through the poem Chris, keep going! We may get to the Fall of the House of Usher!

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 11:15:06 AM PDT
John McClain says:
Hi Christopher!

Just to remind you, you still haven't answered that question. Here it is again incase you've forgotten what it was:

So basically, every sighting of a UFO, dragon, ghost, superman, sharks with lasers, or any other outrageous claim made by someone actually did happen because, after all, they observed it happening, right?

Posted on May 4, 2012 11:20:52 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 8, 2012 10:36:47 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 11:29:43 AM PDT
John McClain says:
Hi Christopher!

Just to remind you, you still haven't answered that question. Here it is again incase you've forgotten what it was:

So basically, every sighting of a UFO, dragon, ghost, superman, sharks with lasers, or any other outrageous claim made by someone actually did happen because, after all, they observed it happening, right?

Posted on May 4, 2012 11:32:41 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 11:46:10 AM PDT
John McClain says:
Hi Christopher!

Posted on May 4, 2012 12:12:13 PM PDT
Brian Curtis says:
I like what you're doing, John. Keep up the good work.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 12:23:04 PM PDT
"I mean, why us Crestionists we're sitting in the catbird seat "

How many members do you guys have in the National Academy of Sciences?

Posted on May 5, 2012 5:26:13 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 5, 2012 7:20:53 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 6:39:26 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 5, 2012 7:36:28 AM PDT
barbW says:
i don't wanna believe in that stuff

well, maybe a superman - who's handsome and not too macho...

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 2:16:52 AM PDT
tokolosi says:
"3) Compelling empirical evidence has shown that them supernatural forces exist."

Please provide this "compelling" empirical evidence. (Note: John 2:11, et al. is *not* an example of "compelling empirical evidence")

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 7:23:29 AM PDT
Ferbilini says:
Why not ask your expert Koonin at the Evolutionary Genomics Research Group for an answer. His trouble with accepting possible scenarios of abiogenesis has absolutely nothing to do with him accepting the fact of biological evolution. Be sure to bring up your evidence from john 2.11. Im sure he and his colleagues will be struck with awe in light of such incredible compelling empirical evidence.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 7:49:41 AM PDT
"Given them two, and only two, possibilities, if not A then B
Not naturalistic, then supernatural.
That means Creationism!"

There you have it --- that's the scam alright.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 9:13:12 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 6, 2012 9:43:33 AM PDT
A. Caplan says:
Ferbilini says: Why not ask your expert Koonin at the Evolutionary Genomics Research Group for an answer. His trouble with accepting possible scenarios of abiogenesis has absolutely nothing to do with him accepting the fact of biological evolution.
>I communicated by email with Dr. Koonin. Amazingly, he answered. The results: Dr. Koonin has no reason to doubt as to the validity of abiogenesis. I copied and pasted those emails in the Science Forum. Also, I've read Dr. Koonin's book to which CH refers, but apparently CH has not.

In my personal opinion, CH does not understand statistical probability. The probability is greater than zero and so could happen. Also, Dr.Koonin's reference only refers to a single occurrence. We have no idea how many chemical reactions occurred over millions of years before a self reproducing structure formed, or how many such structures formed over millions of years before a singe one survived long enough to be able to sustain itself and its progeny (for lack of a better word). Add to that the number of possible planets in the universe capable of producing life, whether they be earth-like or not, and the chances of life forming by abiogenesis starts approaching inevitability.

I could get into a long discussion about how life could form on nonearth-like planets, ala Dr. Carl Sagen, how life may have formed in an environment that we would consider deadly, such as black smokers, but no matter what is written, even Dr. Konnin's words, will ever convince CH that his ignorance about science is exceeded only by his apparent inability to write using the English language in a form that allows his thoughts to be followed. He is, however, a master of incessant repetition incessant repetition incessant repetition incessant repetition incessant repetition incessant repetition, ad nauseum.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012 5:52:08 AM PDT
John McClain says:
Hi Christopher!

Posted on May 8, 2012 8:37:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 8, 2012 8:44:47 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012 9:02:44 AM PDT
A customer says:
Christopher Haynes - "Creationism its your only credible explanation for how life it could of started.."

No, creationism isn't even credible, let alone an "explanation". It postulates as a precondition exactly what it pretends to "explain".

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012 9:14:05 AM PDT
John McClain says:
Hi Christopher!

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012 10:15:39 AM PDT
A. Caplan says:
Christopher Haynes says: So them Peer Reviewed Scientists they hasnt got nothing, not even no theory that's credible.
>Sure they do. Why don't you have one of your creationist kids research it.

Christopher Haynes says: Creationism its your only credible explanation for how life it could of started..
>Let's see, creationism is based on a particular religious belief. So if you don't have that particular belief there is no way to arrive at creationism using anything that even remotely resembles science. Creationism is not based on empirical evidence and deductive reasoning, and creationism makes no predictions about the findings of future research. It is, therefore, scientifically useless and untestable.

So, that's your definition of credible?

Posted on May 8, 2012 6:20:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 8, 2012 6:51:39 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012 6:51:25 PM PDT
John McClain says:
Hi Christopher!

[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science forum
Participants:  159
Total posts:  3480
Initial post:  Apr 18, 2012
Latest post:  1 day ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions