Customer Discussions > Science forum

A government with "Ministry of Creation Science..."

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-22 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 15, 2013 1:01:26 PM PST
auramon says:
South Korean government removed the Ministry of Science and Technology a few years ago, and now they are planning to restore a science department. They named it "Ministry of Future Creation Science", and on occasion they call it "Ministry of Creation Science."

Some folks may remember the incident - the attempt by Korean religious (Christian) fundamentalist groups to alter certain facts related to evolution in science text books used by Korean schools - around June 2012, which was reported by nature and science magazines.
The name of emerging Korean science department reflects unbelievable level of hostility toward science and irrationality of those people who are now taking over the government.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 2:12:06 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 6:53:45 PM PST
you wanna move there?

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 7:36:23 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 11:31:09 AM PST
Bubba says:
Things sure have changed since I lived in Korea.

Edited after I investigated the OP's claims: Things have changed since I lived in Korea; Korea has became a science and technology powerhouse and is looking forward to even more triumphs in science and technology.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 7:45:02 PM PST
coughbscough

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ministry_of_Science_and_Technology_(South_Korea)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ministry_of_Education,_Science_and_Technology

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 6:43:32 AM PST
Brian Curtis says:
Finish this sentence: "A government with a Ministry of Creation Science..."

... is pathetic?
... reflects the ignorance of its legislators?
... should be overthrown ASAP?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 8:04:07 AM PST
A. Caplan says:
andthehorseirodeinontoo? says: better than a ministry of atheist lies
>What does science have to do with "atheist lies"?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 8:18:19 AM PST
See this:
http://www.thekoreanlawblog.com/2013/01/new-korean-ministry-of-future-creation.html

The description seems to indicate it has nothing to do with creationism. Note the comma in the name.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 8:49:38 AM PST
auramon says:
"The description seems to indicate it has nothing to do with creationism. Note the comma in the name. "

In Korean, it is exactly "Ministry of Future Creation Science", and christian fundamentalist group that wants to take evolution out of textbooks are behind it. They helped Park, daughter of former dictator, to be elected last month.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 9:30:05 AM PST
Bubba says:
According to http://www.thekoreanlawblog.com/2013/01/new-korean-ministry-of-future-creation.html

"The MFCS will be, primarily, involved in promoting investment in research and development. I am hopeful that the MFCS or whatever it will finally be named will not be a tool to simply return taxes to conglomerates. Korea is in desperate need of growth in the SME sector and new businesses to compete with the ubiquitous and, hopefully, the MFCS can play a vital role in satisfying this need.

Other proposed changes in the Korean Administration include:

Creating the post of Deputy Prime Minister of Economy
Creation of a Ministry of Maritime Affairs and Fisheries
Trade Section of Ministry of Foreign Affairs taken from MOFAT and merged into the Ministry of Knowledge Economy
Korean Food and Drug Administration moved from the Ministry of Health and Welfare to the Office of the Prime Minister
Creation of the Social Security Commission.
Establishing a National Security Office in Cheong Wha Dae"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see a government administrative reorganization and possibly some new regulatory agencies; I see nothing to to with Creationism. Some of the rearrangements sound very political, such as moving the Korean Food and Drug Administration from the Ministry of Health and Welfare to the Office of the Prime Minister.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 9:47:36 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 9:55:46 AM PST
Make no mistake. I find creationism appalling.
Still, it seems you could easily cite a source that supports your contention. Otherwise it's just more conspiracy theory.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 10:44:29 AM PST
auramon says:
"I see nothing to to with Creationism." Because the government is double playing. Their use of language and propaganda is such that from outside of Korea, things look normal, but to the people in Korea, their aim is glaring and clear. Unfortunately you cannot read Korean, but their intention to reflect religious fundamentalists' idea is clear from their acts (annointing folks from The Association of Korean Creation Science as the chiefs of the Ministry of Creation Science) and use of language is unequivocal. I hope you can read Korean written in the banner in the following photo.

http://online.kofst.or.kr/Board/?acts=BoardView&bbid=1031&nums=47515

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 10:46:31 AM PST
auramon says:
No thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 11:27:01 AM PST
Bubba says:
EVERYTHING in that photo was celebrating science and technology, there was NO Creationism in it AT ALL. It was celebrating the triumphs of science and technology in the past year and hoping for even more triumphs of science and technology in the new year. It may be a bit odd to Westerners, but it is a typical Korean gig.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 11:40:05 AM PST
Bubba says:
Where are you from in Korea? I lived on the west coast, near Kunsan City.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 11:52:04 AM PST
auramon says:
Read the banner. It clearly says "Creation Science Department", even without "Future".

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 11:52:16 AM PST
auramon says:
Seoul.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 12:44:11 PM PST
auramon says:
"Things sure have changed since I lived in Korea."

Only in terms of lucrative technology and industry, but not in basic science.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 12:45:49 PM PST
auramon says:
is incredibly ignorant,
is totally irrational,
is a disgrace to humanity,
is unqualified,
should be overthrown, defenestrated, and put to oblivion

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 1:54:40 PM PST
Bubba says:
A sign on a table in the same room said "Do Not Taste a Food With Your Bear Hand", and one on the wall said "We Work Wealthily Doing Your Living Through A Book".

http://www.engrish.com/

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 5:00:33 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 5:14:21 PM PST
Us Texas dumbell Creationsts we didnt know about this.

We knew Creationsim had taken over education in Turkey.
Which was 100% secular only 25 years ago
The largest and most powerful country in the mideast
Second largest Moslem country in the world
Almost 50% bigger than germany.

And we all know how Creationism is on a roll here in the West.

And its doing a land office business in China.
The number of Christians going up 30000% in 25 years.
to about 300 million.
Almost all Catholics and hard-line Bible thumpers.
Yes you read that right. 30 thousand percent. Kid you not.

But Korea?
We handnt a clue!
Honest, this is a big surprise to us.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  22
Initial post:  Jan 15, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 16, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions