Customer Discussions > Science forum

Suggestions for good reading...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 11, 2011 8:25:13 AM PST
ChaCha says:
My husband LOVEs Brian Greene. He loves anything to do with theoretical physics, cosmological theory, quantum physics...Pythagorean theory. History of, analasys ofdiscussion of. But I am running out of books to buy him on the esubject. Can anyone suggest a few that have come out in the last couple of years?
PS - he has read the bible, we own a couple. Please don't suggest that.

Posted on Nov 11, 2011 8:50:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2011 8:51:16 AM PST
A. Caplan says:
The Theory of Relativity: and Other Essays ~Einstein

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2011 9:26:35 AM PST
Cuvtixo says:
Running out of physics books??? I suggest going to Books › Science & Math › Physics then click the sort button for the list of Avg. Customer Reviews. A few oldies, but many recent books. Unfortunately listing by publication date will bring up far too many pre-order books for next year.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2011 9:34:09 AM PST
ChaCha says:
Thank you, Caplan. He has definitely read that.
Anything that was published before, say, 2000 he has likely read. Most of what was published after, he has likely read. The trouble is, he travels all the time and leaves the books wherever he happens to be when he finishes them, so I can't look them back over and know exactly which he has read and which he has not. So I thought if there exists a reader who reads this stuff like he does that reader could tell me about anything brand new and promising.

Posted on Nov 11, 2011 11:48:00 AM PST
Jack Shandy says:
The Life of the Cosmos
Three Roads to Quantum Gravity
The Inflationary Universe
In Search of Schrödinger's Cat: Quantum Physics and Reality
Schrodinger's Kittens and the Search for Reality: Solving the Quantum Mysteries
Deep Simplicity: Bringing Order to Chaos and Complexity
Complete Series Bundle RC: The Special Theory of Relativity (Routledge Classics)
Beyond Measure: Modern Physics, Philosophy, and the Meaning of Quantum Theory
Black Holes and Time Warps: Einstein's Outrageous Legacy (Commonwealth Fund Book Program)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2011 11:49:14 AM PST
ChaCha says:
Jackpot! Thanks a million!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2011 12:11:01 PM PST
Jack Shandy says:
Most are from the nineties though..

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2011 12:23:43 PM PST
ChaCha says:
Well, there were three you listed he has not read - Schrodinger's Kittens, Beyond Measure and Black Holes and Time Warps - so you've just saved Christmas. :)
Thanks!

Posted on Nov 11, 2011 3:27:44 PM PST
Jim says:
GRACE..God's redemptive activity creating excitement
JOY..Jumping Out Youthfully
BEING..Beginning Experience In New Genius
FULL..Free Undertaking Luscious Love
MAKE..Mature Arrangements Kept Exotic
FAITH..Finding All Intricate Truths Helpful
SHARE..Simple Help Allowing Renewing Energy
LIFE..Living Intensely Forging Eminence
GO..Getting Open
SOLVE..Simply Orchestrating Learnable Values Extensively

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2011 9:47:53 PM PST
Doctor Who says:
Lisa Randall
Warped Passages: Unraveling the Mysteries of the Universe's Hidden Dimensions
Knocking on Heaven's Door: How Physics and Scientific Thinking Illuminate the Universe and the Modern World
Shing-Tung Yau
The Shape of Inner Space: String Theory and the Geometry of the Universe's Hidden Dimensions
If you have not seen Hawking's books, there are worth reading even if they are a bit general.

Posted on Nov 11, 2011 11:22:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2011 11:23:44 PM PST
In physics, Vilenkin's mind blowing hypothesis of infinite O-regions (plus it's a killer history of the field of cosmology from its renaissance roots through Guth to the turn of the 21st century):
Many Worlds in One: The Search for Other Universes

Kip Thorne's mind blowing (and now classic) application of relativity to demonstrate how wormholes are time machines (plus it's a killer history of physics and cosmology from Einstein to the mid 90s):
Black Holes and Time Warps: Einstein's Outrageous Legacy (Commonwealth Fund Book Program)

Has he read up on chaos theory, complexity, and emergence? These are mind blowing transformative ideas. I'd start with James Gleick - one of the most gifted science writers ever. His seminal book on Chaos theory changed my life (and many lives). His new best seller "The Information" puts Shannon information theory in a larger scientific and cultural context. It is a world view changing essay. Also his biography of Feynman is extraordinary (and Feynman is extraordinary):
Chaos: Making a New Science
The Information: A History, a Theory, a Flood
Genius: The Life and Science of Richard Feynman

A good introduction to emergence:
COMPLEXITY: THE EMERGING SCIENCE AT THE EDGE OF ORDER AND CHAOS

Perhaps the seminal book on emergence, by Stuart Kaufman. Contains some truly mind blowing ideas:
At Home in the Universe: The Search for the Laws of Self-Organization and Complexity

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2011 11:26:36 PM PST
Oops, sorry. I see Jack Shandy already recommended Black Holes and Time Warps. Ok - now it's been recommended twice. His chapter on Chandrasekhar is particularly brilliant. It's a fantastically written account of the triumph of relativity.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2011 6:02:12 AM PST
ChaCha says:
Wow - thank you so much. We have both read all of Feynman's own works - this looks like something we can both read and enjoy. And no - I don't think he has read extensively on Chaos. Though he has read At Home in the Universe. Many worlds in One looks good too.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2011 6:02:54 AM PST
ChaCha says:
Thank you!

Posted on Nov 12, 2011 7:33:14 AM PST
Looks like a forum I can enjoy. Thanks for the leadership.

Posted on Nov 12, 2011 8:16:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2011 8:21:55 AM PST
D. Colasante says:
Wow! I'm a little jealous of your husband. I'm lucky to get through two books a year. I'm not dyslexic or otherwise impaired (as far as I can tell), it just seems there are lot more books than solid theories. It's nice of your husband to share his finished books with others by leaving them behind.

Have either of you considered writing? I'm sure your comments would be welcome in Amazon threads. It's purely ad lib, and as you know (I presume), you don't even have to use your real names! And some of us are wanting for input. For example [alert: shameless self promotion follows], I asked the following question nearly two weeks ago (in "Time to Turn Things Around") without a single attempt to answer. Pity, an overlooked fundamental degree of freedom in physics would be of some importance.

As a point particle moves along its world line, is there any reason it could not also be spinning around it?

It could be something to think about while stalled taxiing for takeoff. Happy Holidays!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2011 8:34:00 AM PST
DC: without a single attempt to answer.

Resurrect it every once in a while. Somebody will take it up eventually.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Nov 11, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 12, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions