Customer Discussions > Science forum

was the moon landing real or fake, and why?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 2551-2575 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Apr 15, 2012 5:19:57 PM PDT
Yog-Sothoth says:
I sorta got that impression as well. NO ONE can be that dense without doing it on purpose. BUT - it has made for some entertaining reading...kudos for that ;-)

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 5:35:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 15, 2012 5:36:45 PM PDT
If anyone wants to read my hoax parodies, I've started posting them here:
http://everythingisahoax.tumblr.com/

I figure they're not actually adding to the discussion, but they seem to amuse people, so I'll just post them there.

The Titanic one has already attracted an angry teenage girl debunker. Go figure!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 10:26:06 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 16, 2012 10:31:54 AM PDT
Lj3d says:
Thanks Daryl and actually, they do add to the discussion because they point up the idea that things do not always appear as they seem to. I recall in elementary school before the landing that we were taught stars would be visible even in daylight on the moon. Of course, my teacher didn't take into account ones eyes having to adjust etc. because she was teaching 4th grade. But if teachers nationwide were teaching this, then its no wonder some people were curious when they saw lunar images with no stars.

Good idea putting your ideas on the web. And its good someone got upset because it goes to show you only no press is bad press as Hearst was once reputed to have said. I had a website with my stuff years ago and it attracted nobody. I doubt even bootleggers would have stolen it.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 12:03:37 PM PDT
John McClain says:
"But, in any case to the Moon we Did Not Go."

Medication your brain still needs.

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 12:10:44 PM PDT
Jack Letta says:
My real question is why they were racing there?

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 3:45:33 PM PDT
Jack: It is in our nature as humans to race, Race to climb Everest, race to the north and south poles, race to cross continents, race to traverse great rivers. We like to race, and a prizemoney reward at the end is also good, apart from the Glory and Honour. The space race began as an early arms race, and just kept on expanding outward into the solar system.

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 3:46:47 PM PDT
John Mc: You may be onto something here. Could iruri be a not as intelligent breed of YODA

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 4:27:52 PM PDT
Jack Letta says:
Arms? Alien technology or what? What else would've been there?

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 4:47:38 PM PDT
Umm...no arms race as in weapons race. Arms/weapons race started as a race for weapon technology superiority after world war 2. From Germany's V2 rocket technology brains the two countries, Soviets and US, took rocket scientists. Hence the famous quote, 'our germans are better than their germans' The US fortunately acquired Werner Von Braun and the technology developed to lob nukes at each other was then applied to launch satellites to watch how they planned to lob nukes at each other, and that in turn became the race to get to the moon and beyond just to physically show how much better they were. That is how the arms race became the space race ...savy?

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 4:49:12 PM PDT
Essentially it was a grown boys big intergallactic p!ssing competition.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 5:44:00 PM PDT
Jack Letta says:
Why the dark side of the moon then? What was pushing them to do that? They had the only guy who could do it? What was the rush then? Von braum was the only one, why a race?

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 6:08:41 PM PDT
You're related to iruri aren't you?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 8:06:56 PM PDT
Lj3d says:
Jack Letta says: My real question is why they were racing there?

Lj3d: The USA and Russia realized they had amassed enough nuclear weapons to destroy humanity several times over in a single half hour nuclear exchange. A new way had to be found to replace war as an instrument of sabre rattling. Apollo served to galvanize industry in the largest peacetime p****ing contest ever conducted without resorting to war. America is all about competition. Who is better than whom. Naturally the Apollo program served to stimulate competition on a scale never before seen and never seen since. Massive, unanticipated social changes That began in the early 1960s made supporting large scale space efforts impossible financially. By the early 1970s, Apollo ended with the USA having won the moon race. Since the space race was a much lengthier proposition, we decided cooperation with Russia was in our best interests and the space race ended with the Apollo Soyuz Test Project (ASTP) in 1975.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 8:11:17 PM PDT
Lj3d says:
Jack Letta says: Arms? Alien technology or what? What else would've been there?

Lj3d: There is no evidence of alien technology on the moon. Its popular to believe NASA participated in covering up some alien discovery, but one has to ask why NASA would be stupid enough to cover up the very thing that would guarantee gargantuan budgets for decades to come. After Apollo, NASAs budget went from an average of 2% fed spending to todays paltry .6% fed spending. NASAs last record budget was over four decades ago. Other gov agencies almost never go longer than a decade tops without setting a new budget record.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 8:18:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 16, 2012 8:22:32 PM PDT
Lj3d says:
Jack Letta says:
Why the dark side of the moon then? What was pushing them to do that? They had the only guy who could do it? What was the rush then? Von braum was the only one, why a race?

Lj3d: Non of the Apollo missions had been planned to land on the lunar farside. There were some post Apollo studies done which entailed a relay comsat that would have been required to provide uninterrupted communications. The recent Bush lunar base concepts entailed landings at the south pole in areas permanently shaded by the shadows of mountains. There is no dark side of the moon. This is a popular myth that gained a lot of traction via Pink Floyd. The moon rotates every roughly 30 days which is why it has phases. When the moon is a new moon, all of the Apollo landing sites are in two weeks of darkness. When full, the Apollo sites are in lunar daytime. Von Braun was not the only one capable of getting people to the moon. He was simply the most visible of a large cadre of German rocket scientists that could do it. There were plenty of American rocket scientists as well.

John Hoboult was an American engineer that proposed a method of reaching the moon which was actually adapted by 1962. Von Braun proposed Earth Orbit Rendezveous (EOR) as the preferred method of reaching the moon. Hoboult proposed Lunar Orbit Rendezveous (LOR) which became the method actually used to reach the moon.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 8:42:19 PM PDT
Lj3d says:
Kurt H. Debus, Konrad Dannenberg, Krafft Arnold Ehricke were three other prominent Germans captured with Von Braun. Noteable Russian rocket scientists included Konstantin Tsiolkovsky, Yuri Kondratyuk, and Sergei Korolev. Korolev was the guy once known simply as the chief designer in US intelligence circles because they did not know who he was until after his death in 1966. American engineer Hoboult actually got the idea for LOR from Kondratyuk, who had proposed the idea decades before Apollo IIRC. Debus became the Director of Kennedy Space Center during the Apollo era.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 11:13:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 16, 2012 11:30:30 PM PDT
roundaboutte says:
THE race in my opinion was for the high ground.And I have several reasons why I am sceptical about the films I have seen of us on the moon.Maybe you can clear those up Lj3d.1st No atlas pictures- (An astronaut standing with his arms up holding the Earth.)As a matter of fact rarely(once) if any photographs of the earth from the moon (surface) at all.When the paying public in 1969 -1972 has never seen Earth from space.2nd

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 11:18:12 PM PDT
roundaboutte says: "sceptical about the films I have seen"

Can you be more specific, and outline those reasons for your scepticism?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 11:32:16 PM PDT
roundaboutte says:
Yes I just edited please read.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 11:39:06 PM PDT
Lj3d says:
No Atlas pics uh, guess nobody thought of them. But if you look at the Apollo 17 EVA, one of the most famous earthshots from the lunar surface was of the Earth over the flag and Cernan. Then there was the Earthrise shot from Apollo 8 which was taken in orbit around the moon. Anyone could have seen the Earth from space in 1972 by simply looking at National Geographic, Time and other media coverage of Gemini and the Earth orbiting Apollo missions. They are there if one looks for them.

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 11:54:10 PM PDT
roundaboutte says: Yes I just edited please read

Ah... another comedian, just what we need. Welcome aboard.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2012 12:14:42 AM PDT
roundaboutte says:
Thank You,

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2012 12:34:22 AM PDT
roundaboutte says:
I just looked at the national geographic(apollo 17 cernan flag) photos some had the bottom half of the earth covered and others the right half of the earth covered .Whats up with that?

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 12:57:22 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 17, 2012 12:58:07 AM PDT
Both photogaphs were taken within minutes of each other but the difference in the appearance of the earths phase is due to the angle that the shot was taken. One shot favoured a horizontal frame, the other was angled to the right which meant the darkside of the earths phase appears to favour the right side when in reality it is still facing down towards the lunar surface.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2012 12:32:35 PM PDT
Lj3d says:
Iruri, if you are still with us, here is another question for you to ponder along with the no stars question and the photography questions.

If as you believe, they went to low orbit and used a transparency of Earth to show they were in translunar space...can you explain the Apollo 8 footage known as Earthrise? Or Apollo 17 footage showing a spectacular view of Earth at a distance of some 15,000 miles taken during transposition and docking? Is the picture known as the blue marble a mere transparency?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Science forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
The Origins Of Life 2676 59 seconds ago
A real scientific question for physicists: 149 29 minutes ago
Evolution - what the fossils say 465 41 minutes ago
Macheath asks "Is Neil DeGrasse Tyson a Fraud" 27 46 minutes ago
Connections between relativity and quantum mechanics: progress already made 119 54 minutes ago
Global warming is the most serious problem of our generation part 2 5056 1 hour ago
Energy cannot be created or destroyed 1408 2 hours ago
Why are Darwinists here so scientifically illiterate? 9197 3 hours ago
Is it possible to know the "truth" about anything? 21 4 hours ago
Solar Flare will Knock Out All Electronics in 12 Hours. 59 4 hours ago
Is Neil deGrasse Tyson a fraud? 348 11 hours ago
Nasa is lying Asteroid will hit the Earth in less than 24 hours. 105 17 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science forum
Participants:  219
Total posts:  5480
Initial post:  Nov 23, 2010
Latest post:  16 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions