Customer Discussions > Science forum

Quantum Mechanics and Chaos Theory

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-64 of 64 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 4:29:41 PM PDT
Re fazakas, 5-2 2:19 PM: "you have to take into account the amplitudes for all possible paths..." Also the phases. That is the key to quantum electrodynamics.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 7:37:45 PM PDT
tom kriske says:
the phases are indeed critical, as the celebrated aharonov-bohm effect wonderfully demonstrates -- verified by chambers in 61, if memory serves.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 3:50:25 PM PDT
The phase is part of the amplitude, as I understand it. Which is why there is interference when one adds amplitudes prior to squaring.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 4:49:58 PM PDT
tom kriske says:
well, assuming you're discussing quantum mechanical wave functions, the amplitude is usually some function of either position or momentum and time, and the phase is the complex exponential factor. so, from that perspective, the two are quite distinct. that said, there's also quantum phenomena, say, with lasers, where the two couple...

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 8:02:47 AM PDT
I'm just going off what Feynman says in his book "Quantum Mechanics and Path Integrals", where he defines "amplitude" as a wave function which is some constant times a phase (complex exponential factor).

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 7:49:57 AM PDT
tom kriske says:
how is that book anyway?

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 8:38:38 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 5, 2012 8:38:51 AM PDT]

Posted on May 5, 2012 8:39:52 AM PDT
tom kriske says:
now what ignorant dope would vote down a question concerning a book?

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 8:46:27 AM PDT
It's excellent. Feynman is a magician. Original insights about QM on every page.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 10:08:55 AM PDT
tom kriske says:
he really was the master - his 'lectures on gravitation', which i think you'd enjoy, is a tour de force of physical and mathematical legerdemain.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 1:00:41 PM PDT
barbW says:
you probably already know, but for others, Bill Gates bought Feynman videos and shares them with the world here;

<Tuva is the republic over there that Richard was interested in>

http://research.microsoft.com/apps/tools/tuva/index.html

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 4:11:15 PM PDT
tom kriske says:
i did not know that, thank you. you are a veritable fountain of both information and inspiration, a continuing source of grace and beauty, in this heartless and decaying world.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 6:18:02 PM PDT
barbW says:
oh, well, I take back all the barbs then, you've never belittled me even when it seemed appropriate, for my own good..

You are the smartest, best informed student of physics, and humble, and you post with unmatched clarity. How's that? No lies, I didn't have to, tom.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 6:47:29 PM PDT
tom kriske says:
you are so sweet werranth, thank you. i promise to never even think bad things about your posts.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  64
Initial post:  Apr 30, 2012
Latest post:  May 5, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions