Customer Discussions > Science forum

Darwin believed in God

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 2, 2012 2:28:50 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 26, 2013 2:09:30 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2012 2:36:35 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Sep 2, 2012 2:45:12 PM PDT
SinSeeker says:
andthehorseirodeinontoo? says "illogical"

Pot, meet kettle!

Posted on Sep 2, 2012 3:28:17 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 31, 2013 5:37:10 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2012 3:34:20 PM PDT
S. Kessler says:
Darwin never did any such thing. He was not out to "prove" anything regardingn God, one way or the other. Darwin seems to have lost his faith after his beloved daughter Annie died. His wife did fear for his soul. But Darwin never came out an claimed to be an atheist and he had no agenda regarding god.

Posted on Sep 2, 2012 4:14:15 PM PDT
SinSeeker says:
I'm curious to know what difference the opinion of a mid-nineteenth century naturalist as to the existence or non-existence of a creator would make to the validity or otherwise of early twenty-first century evolutionary theory.

This is brief but worth a read:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/belief/2009/sep/17/darwin-evolution-religion

It shows the pointlessness of simple-minded descriptions of Darwin's feelings about theism.

Posted on Sep 2, 2012 5:00:05 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 26, 2013 2:09:38 PM PDT]

Posted on Sep 2, 2012 6:26:07 PM PDT
Did he still believe in God when he married his cousin?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2012 6:38:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 2, 2012 7:26:20 PM PDT
Doctor Who says:
That was normal. Sorry, you can't blame a man for doing what is normal and social appropriate in his time.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2012 6:44:51 PM PDT
Irish Lace says:
It doesn't matter if Darwin was or was not a theist or even a "creationist." What Darwin is remembered for is his magnificent scientific discovery. His thoughts regarding God are no more relevant to the facts of evolution than his thoughts regarding boxers vs. briefs.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2012 7:13:17 PM PDT
"His thoughts regarding God are no more relevant to the facts of evolution than his thoughts regarding boxers vs. briefs."

Oh, I don't know IL, at least he let his knowledge hang out.

Posted on Sep 2, 2012 7:38:14 PM PDT
In "Origin" Darwin mentions the Creator only in passing, and does not use God in the theory of evolution itself. So Darwin's work cannot be described as religious creationism. Nor, AFAIK, did he use evolutionary theory to prove there was no God.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2012 8:11:35 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2012 8:13:36 PM PDT
SinSeeker says:
I'm curious to know what difference the opinions of pre-nineteenth century writers as to the existence or non-existence of a creator would make to the validity or otherwise of early twenty-first century evolutionary theory.

I don't have time to go through all of the people you mention to find out whether or not they mentioned a creator in their work, and I don't see any relevance in doing so except as an historical curiosity. However, I'll make a few random observations.

The concept of evolution was discussed for several millennia before Darwin. His great contribution was to clearly outline a simple mechanism (natural selection) and to painstakingly back up this insight with a very detailed observational study.

Diderot was an 18th century atheist, imprisoned for his beliefs, whose "Letter on the Blind" (1749) referred to the evolution of species without supernatural intervention. It's not surprising he failed to refer to a creator. Lord Monboddo was a deist and judge who wrote about language and legal matters. As theories about the evolution of language don't seem to excite the religious in the same way as the evolution of humans (despite their clear contradiction of the Tower of Babel fable), it's probably not surprising he didn't feel the need to invoke a creator.

Patrick Matthew's book "On Naval Timber and Arboriculture" (1831) was about how best to grow trees for constructing Royal Navy warships, hardly a topic likely to require mention of a creator. He remained a believer in natural theology, the viewpoint that was overturned by Darwin's insight. When he made Darwin aware, through correspondence, that he had a similar idea years before, Darwin acknowledged him in later editions.

In a letter to J.D. Hooker in 1863 Darwin wrote "I have long regretted that I truckled to public opinion, and used the Pentateuchal term of creation."

"What does Richard Dawkins think about `the creator' mentioned in Darwin's book becuase [sic] Dawkins describes himself as a `Darwinist'."

This question is meaningless. In the UK, "Darwinism" does not have the same negative connotations as it does in the US, and is widely used as a short hand term for evolutionary theory. Rational people (as opposed to religionists) are not required to accept everything that someone writes, even if they agree with some of it.

I think we all know what Dawkins thinks about "the creator."

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2012 8:15:08 PM PDT

Posted on Sep 2, 2012 8:17:24 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 26, 2013 2:09:49 PM PDT]

Posted on Sep 2, 2012 8:22:32 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 26, 2013 2:09:55 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2012 8:25:32 PM PDT
That allegation doesn't relate much to the OP. Where are you going with all this?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2012 8:27:09 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2012 8:27:13 PM PDT
Doctor Who says:
In the social context of his time and society, I suppose not. Societies choose what structures to follow. There are no universal structures, apart from insest which is known as the universal taboo but definitions of insest do change from culture to culture. To answer your question, no there is nothing wrong with social norms that we would consider terrible today. We may even condemn them, but I think it is important to remember we are condemning the practices, not the people who followed them. You exploit child labor. Should we label you as evil or simply accept that you live in a time when that is allowable?

In future would you be good enough to include something to distinguish me from the other doctor? there is enough confusion without adding more thank your.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2012 8:29:29 PM PDT
S. Kessler says:
Roachie, you profundity is so impressive. Not.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2012 8:29:46 PM PDT
SinSeeker says:
cockroach idiotises "why did he care about his daughter's death"

Well, it appears he was very close to his children, and Annie died at the age of 10, a devastating event for any parent.

cockroach idiotises "threw a tantrum"

This is a despicable way of describing the grief a parent experiences when they lose a child.

Why don't you scuttle back into whatever hole you crawled out of?

Posted on Sep 2, 2012 8:30:29 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 26, 2013 2:10:04 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2012 8:32:03 PM PDT

Posted on Sep 2, 2012 8:35:42 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 26, 2013 2:10:09 PM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 75 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science forum
Participants:  57
Total posts:  1874
Initial post:  Sep 2, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions