Customer Discussions > See A Kindle In Your City forum

Do I need voltage transformer to charge Kindle in Italy?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 24, 2010 11:27:43 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 24, 2010 2:51:02 PM PDT
Travel Lover says:
I am very low-tech, so please bear with me.
I bought a Kindle last year and brought it with me to Italy. I brought the heavy little box (transformer) and 2 round-prong adaptor to plug it in that trip. I read on a previous post (James') that perhaps I just bring the little outlet 2 prong plug in. I hope I understand correctly. Are you saying that I do NOT need to bring the transformer this time? Is there some little voltage switch that I must engage before plugging into the wall in Italy rather than using the voltage transformer? I don't want to burn up my Kindle by just plugging it into the wall with the little outlet round prong plug (adapter) w/o transformer.
(I'm not interested in buying books while traveling or connecting to computer, which I'm clueless about anyway), just reading books bought it US ahead of time and need charged Kindle.)
Thanks so much.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2010 12:46:20 PM PDT
Tom Rockwell says:
You can read the label on the charger that comes with the Kindle -- it shows what voltage you can use.

You don't need the extra transformer. Just the round prong adapter.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2010 2:50:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 24, 2010 2:52:17 PM PDT
Travel Lover says:
Yikes--I need to go find a magnifying glass to read that teensy print on the plug! Literally! I'll try to find the original papers or magnifying glass, then. I haven't a clue what it says....This applies not just to the new large Kindle, but the other one right before it, too, right? No transformer needed on any Kindle model? Thanks.

Posted on Apr 25, 2010 9:13:16 AM PDT
R. Krysiak says:
just plug it in the wall. you'll be fine. i usually just plug mine into the shaver to charge. then i don't even need to bring an adapter. you certainly don't need a "step-down"

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2010 10:20:07 AM PDT
Travel Lover says:
Thanks for your reassurance about only bringing the Italian round prong plug, not the transformer/converter.

Posted on Apr 25, 2010 4:02:57 PM PDT
Lisa Thomas says:
I am in England and I plug my Kindle into the wall here all the time with my adapter plug. It is dual voltage so as long as you have the prong adapter you are fine.

Posted on Apr 26, 2010 1:19:02 PM PDT
InventorNC says:
Yeah, most of the PC stuff works on 110/220 Volts. The trick is to have the adapters. It's not like years ago when I plugged my electric shaver in in Copenhagen and got a housing with blue light showing through!

Posted on Sep 1, 2010 3:44:56 PM PDT
I just bought the Kindle 3. I had the Kindle 1 for 2 1/2 years. I have used it in Australia and the European Union. You just shove an adapter plug on the end of it and put it in the wall. Bingo! It recharges. Australia has a different plug than the ones in the European Union.

There is no need to buy the $19.99 adapter cord unless you want to use it with multiple devices that have USB ports. It is a nice idea if you want to use it for that, but, as for me, I don't believe in spending money for accessories that are really not needed.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 3:06:08 PM PST
I have a kindle fire do I need a power converter or just a travel adapter plug to go to England?

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 5:41:16 AM PST
InventorNC says:
Probably just the adapter plug. Most converters for electronics run on 110 - 220 Volts. Before assuming that your safe look at the markings on the converter. They will list input voltage.

Have a good trip!

Posted on Oct 26, 2013 8:37:06 AM PDT
I'd like to take my Kindle reader (2011 new purchase) to Argentina where voltage is 220 volts. Canada is 110. Can I assume that I will not need a voltage converter, just a prong adapter, in Argentina?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in


This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Apr 24, 2010
Latest post:  Oct 26, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions