Customer Discussions > See A Kindle In Your City forum

Kindle for HP Touchpad outside US not available

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 22, 2011 7:40:42 AM PDT
Carlos Diaz says:
I hope someone can help me... I bought an HP Touchpad this past weekend hoping I could use the Kindle app as I do on my iPad and iPhone. But to my surprise the app does not open, it takes me to the web store and after a few seconds it says that the app is not availabe in my country (Puerto Rico). Is there a work around that I can do touse the app?

I bought this tablet instead of a Kindle because of the huge discount it had and considering it would cost the same as a Kindle and the fact that ithad color, internet, etc. It looked like a no brainer, but now I cant read books from my kindle account on this device.

Thank, I hope someone has a solution.

Posted on Aug 22, 2011 1:47:53 PM PDT
JDL says:
exactly the same problem I'm having... Praying there's a workaround, I bought it to read my ebooks... Mostly

Posted on Aug 22, 2011 3:16:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 22, 2011 3:18:37 PM PDT
It's possible to install Android honeycomb on the HP touchpad, but I don't know how well it works. Do a google search for project android, or just search for android and your hp touchpad model #

I've downloaded builds for other devices and they work. Sometimes there is 100% functionality, other times some things work while others don't. You usually can download a dual boot option so you can test out the functionality before overwriting your webos software.

Good luck.

Jon Goff
Author: The Rune that Binds

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2011 5:05:45 PM PDT
Carlos Diaz says:
Well, looks like I did solve the problem... Since I didn't have any apps installed in teh Touchpad (at least the ones I had were free), I did a full restore and registered a new web os account with another email. When I opened the Web store a list of countries came up and Puerto Rico was already highlighted like it had happened the first time I set up. Instead of clicking 'ok' or submit like I had done before I highlighted United States and hit 'ok'. Now on the web store I can see paid apps, I searched for the kindle app and it showed up which before did not happen. I went back clicked on the kindle icon which took me to the web store and then the install page came up.

Once the app was installed I launched it, logged in and my saved books showed up.

I accesed the kindle store through the app but after I logged in the web pages did not show up correctly, so I logged in through my iPad and downloaded a sample as a test but sent it to my Touchpad not my iPad and it worked.

So I guess problem is solved if you click on United States as the place you buy from. My mistake was clicking on Puerto Rico (where I live and by the way a U.S. Territory) because once you click on a country you can't change it. That's why I had to reset the device and open a new web os account.

Hope this helps... Good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2011 1:26:36 PM PDT
Suewhite2 says:
I had no problem downloading books to the kindle app, but when I tried to download some kindle word games, they don't show up on the app. Does anyone know if they are somewhere else on the hp touchpad or is it just that only books download and no games.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2011 8:43:06 AM PDT
Quackers says:
Kindle apps will only work on the Kindle. The books are a just a file, whereas the games and other apps are programs written specifically for the Kindles' operating system. Think of trying to run a wii game on your xbox. This is also the reason the Kindle games will not work on your ipad or pc.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2011 8:29:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 30, 2011 8:36:17 PM PDT
Marlana says:
I was so heartbroken that I didn't get a HP touchpad in time. I was looking forward to downloading the kindle app, just like I have it on my iPhone and MacBook Pro on an HP, but they sold out so fast:( I can have my kindle app AND I can add Stanza for e-books that I don't get from Amazon on one device. I also like that the Kindle app on my laptop will not only let me connect to the dictionaries, wikipedia, but also to google. I love exploring with google sometimes if I want background information on a person or some other historical info. I'm glad you solved your problem and are now able to use your Kindle app. I'm still a little bit disappointed I missed out on that :) well a lot disappointed. That's what I get for not paying attention. But lucky, lucky you ..... congratulations!!!

Posted on Sep 4, 2011 9:56:38 AM PDT
JulesMac says:
Sounds like Kindle is fishing to see demand prior to releasing a workable Kindle app...just a note to Carlos, I had done the same with Amazon in order to get us content.. (registered with new email and us address). Worked fine until purchased, nailed with credit card info. Amazon gift card might work? Just a heads up..download what you can until gigs up..thry don't remove past content ;)
I was lucky enough to get my hands on a Touchpad, would like to get a workable Kindle app on there (sticking with Cnd acct though, lesson learnt!)

Posted on Oct 1, 2011 3:49:00 PM PDT
I have the Kindle on the touchpad. Is there a way to set-up the Kindle so everytime you go the k
Kindle you see all of your book and not on the page you left?

Posted on Oct 6, 2011 10:21:11 AM PDT
Can I read kindle ebooks on my HP touch pad in Canada? I downloaded a freeby and after a couple of pages it goes blank and freezes. Can someone help me with this please

Posted on Oct 26, 2011 3:41:40 AM PDT
VICKIE PAUL says:
I got the Kindle ap to download on my touchpad but cannot get the download of any books to work. I called Amazon support and they said they do not have Kindle in the 3OS operating system yet. What can I do?

Posted on Oct 28, 2011 8:17:14 AM PDT
The only options that I have seen and used are to make use of a proxy or vpn when using the store outside the US. The kindle app works great, but I had to reformat some of my pdf files using calibre which worked well.

Posted on Oct 29, 2011 4:12:46 PM PDT
Ryan says:
If you have family members/ friends inside the US, and you set them as your location, the books should download fine. Hope this helped you, or you find a solution soon!

Ryan; Author of The Tablet Guide and The War Donkey

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 10:10:05 AM PST
Melody, I share the same problem. The Kindle for HP Touchpad app seems to have issues. The app installs fine, but once you open a book, you can not close it and open the library again. Unfortunately you can read one book at a time, uninstalling Kindle and re-sending the book(s) you want from your Amazon Kindle account each time. Hopefully something better will come along, but for now it seems that this is a failed app.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the See A Kindle In Your City forum

This discussion

Participants:  13
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Aug 22, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 27, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions