Customer Discussions > See A Kindle In Your City forum

Prices on New Kindle release

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 178 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 25, 2011 9:28:32 PM PDT
D. Hampton says:
Every time there is a book I want to read that is newly released it cost more than the hardcover price. While I realize things are usually more expensive when they are new I will not now or ever pay more for an E-version than the Hardcover.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2011 4:08:20 AM PDT
Annie Reader says:
I totally agree with D. Hampton, I mean the whole purpose of using a Kindle is to get books cheaper, and be able to acquire out of prints editions. Most of the out of print books are free and allow me to get books I have wanted to read but could not afford or were not available anywhere. But some of the newer books are frightfully expensive and I have to do without or go to the library. I do hope this will change in the future.
Anna R.

Posted on Sep 26, 2011 6:32:33 AM PDT
R. Bibolini says:
Probably following a well designed marketing plan. Start cheap and when customers hooked start raising prices

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2011 10:36:41 AM PDT
Tim says:
Except that a large number of people who were happy paying will start turning to other sources such as torrents rather than pay ridiculous prices for the e-books. Just like with movies, tv, mp3s...They have to realize they have to compete with 'free'

Posted on Sep 26, 2011 11:31:42 AM PDT
There is a solution, of course: Don't buy books done like this. When you spend a dollar, you're voting with that dollar.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2011 12:12:12 PM PDT
David Taylor says:
Where did you get the impression that the purpose of a Kindle is to get books cheaper ? If you want to get cheap books go to the Library, a thrift store or borrow from your friends. The purpose of a Kindle is convenience. People will spend $6.00 for a cup of coffee or $100.00 for dinner for two but complain about $12.99 for an e-book - isn't there something more important for you to be upset about ?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2011 12:35:30 PM PDT
Tim says:
It should be cheaper because the publisher does not have to print, ship, or store the e-book. How can you justify charging the same price for an electronic copy as for a hardcopy? Not only that, but my electronic copy is severely limited compared to the physical. I can not sell it back, I cannot lend it to more than 1 friend ever, without giving them my account, and it wasn't until last week that I could get them from the library.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2011 12:49:52 PM PDT
I personally am not upset paying 12.99 for an e-book I however do not get how publishers can charge more for an eBook and in some cases significantly more The Town by Chuck Hogan for example is 9.99 as an eBook and 7.99 as a mass market paperback. That in my opinion is price gouging I dont mind paying for new and popular releases but paying 25% more for an eBook is ridiculous

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2011 2:29:58 PM PDT
David Taylor says:
You have valid points, however the price for e books is determined by the publisher, not Amazon or Kindle. The bottom line is that a specific book in a specific format sells for x dollars - if you object to the price don't buy it - most people don't object, so I don't see much changing.

Posted on Sep 27, 2011 5:26:36 AM PDT
Movie Queen says:
I bought my Kindle for the convenience of having multiple books all on one device the size of a rather thin single book. I love the fact that I can carry my whole library with me when I travel!! The price of the books is irrelevant...there are tons of free books available on Kindle (so many that I will probably never be able to read them all)!!!

Posted on Sep 27, 2011 7:24:21 AM PDT
Sorwen says:
Sadly some Publishers are charging hardcover prices for eInk books even when a hard cover isn't releasing. I haven't see ones charge more than the hadcover price, but I'm not surprised. Some Publisher are fighting eInk because they have their Upper East Side addresses(or equivalent) to pay for not book storage.

Posted on Sep 27, 2011 7:24:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 27, 2011 7:25:09 AM PDT
I've watched it happen over the past few years and seen the big publishers slowly coerce ebooksellers to adhere to the Agency Model. That's why some ebooks cost more than a hardcover copy of the same book. Of course, there are always the indies, though some people won't even consider buying indie books because of the perception that indies aren't as well written, edited or produced as those from the big publishers. I'm sure that's true to a certain extent, but not true of every indie book. One of the problems I have with some indie author/publishers is that they see what the big publishers are charging for books and they believe they should charge the same. So, while some indies charge .99 cents for one short story, there are other indies who charge .99 cents for an entire book of short stories. Amazon's seeming adherence to the Agency Model is leading indies to charge more for their books and is lending credibility to the big publishers' arguments in favor of the Agency Model. The big publishing houses have gone from watching the train that was bearing down on them, bringing their doom, to waving happily from the windowseats. It's the readers' choice; spend big bucks for an ebook, or shop around until you find what you want cheaper, someplace else.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2011 8:59:54 AM PDT
The latest Eragon book was priced higher than the hardcover, its all pre-order still so numbers can change and I know Amazon always respects the lowest price, but I chose not to preorder the book, I would rather wait a year to read it then to pay more for an ebook (again as stated before, no ink, no paper, no cover, no shipping, no storage space needed in warehouses, etc) I resent when they are higher and even when they are equal. With the whole 'go green' movement there should be incentive to NOT want to kill a few million trees on a new release book.

Posted on Sep 27, 2011 9:01:19 AM PDT
When a book is released in paperback with a price of $7.99, the Kindle price show be lowered accordingly. I'll pay extra for a favorite author's new release, but for the most part, I don't want to pay full price for something that costs next to nothing for the publisher...no printing, shipping, storage, etc. If I have to, I'll go back to ordering from the library or waiting until the books hit the used book stores.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2011 7:43:26 PM PDT
S. Breeden says:
Of course the big selling point when i bought my first kindle(the month it came out) was that you could get most NY Times bestsellers for 9.99 or less, so price was definitely a marketed factor. I have purchased a few for 12.99 and none for more, though I pre-ordered the new Stephen King book with enhancements that I am paying extra for.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2011 8:43:06 PM PDT
E. Rodarte says:
Why should I pay extra for a version of the book in its natural form? It costs nothing to email the file to a Kindle. Books aren't handwritten these days -- they are stored electronically. Why should I pay extra money for a file in its native form? I'm willing to go up to $10 with some new releases, I think that's fair-- but gouging us for the same price [or more] than a hardcover so the publishers can cover their antiquated business models? No thanks. As J M McDermott says above here -- I'm voting with my dollar and my vote is "No".

Posted on Sep 28, 2011 3:35:54 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 28, 2011 8:12:56 AM PDT
JayDee says:
As many times as it has been written that Amazon does not set the price for a Kindle book, how many of you are still complaining about Amazon setting the prices - and how many are finally complaining to the right people? The publishers of a book. If you only complain on the forums here, how will the publisher ever know the amount of anger you have for the price of the books? Get together somehow and send your complaints to the publishers. Otherwise, while it may make you feel better to let out your anger- it is doing no good at all at the level it needs to get to. So, complain to the publishers.

Complain over and over and over. But not to Amazon/Kindle. I would bet they would gladly lower the price if they could. Just as I am sure they would put more books in the Kindle format if they could - but that too is up to the publishers. For the books I would love to read on my Kindle, but can't because they won't allow it to be put into Kindle format (yet) I just keep clicking on the "let the publisher know you'd like to see this book in a Kindle format". I'll still have to wait until the publisher of that book decides they will make as much or more money from the readers who would buy the book in a Kindle format but will not buy it as it is now published.

One example is James Michener's HAWAII. I have a hardback copy of it. I've read it numerous times over the years. I would so love to read it again but my eyesight won't allow me to see that small font. So I buy books that are ONLY in Kindle format now, because the font is large enough for me to read again. That makes me so happy! But I'd still love to read all my favorites as well as so many newer books. That won't be possible though, until those books are in an eBook format - and Kindle happens to be the only eReader I want, after testing some others. I've been reading constantly since I can now buy Kindle books, but those are limited by which ones the publishers allow to be put into the Kindle format.

The fabulous book THE HELP would not have been possible for me to read had it been published by a company which though it would make more money in the hardback and paperback format. Look what a success it is instead! I know the publishers do not listen to me, but maybe they would listen if there were numerous "Me's" asking them to put some or all of their books in Kindle format, as well as in any other formats they choose. So, when you see a book in only print style, would you help people like me by just clicking that you would like to see that book in a Kindle Format? So if you do click to see it in Kindle format, thank you so much. Maybe someday I'll get to read anything I want, once Amazon reaches the goal it has had for years- and that is to put every book ever written in a Kindle Format.

Posted on Sep 28, 2011 5:02:48 AM PDT
I'll just use my kindle for library books and bypass the expensive publishers. Still buy the lower priced indie books though...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2011 9:07:55 AM PDT
Tim says:
I know it's not Amazon's fault for the prices. Actually it is because of Apple that we have these issues. Before Apple released their store Amazon did not allow prices above $9.99. However, Apple let publishers set whatever price they wanted and in order to not lose books Amazon had to follow.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2011 6:27:11 PM PDT
You could equally argue it should be more expensive because you don't have to find shelf space for it, you don't have to wait in for it to be delivered, you just click and start reading within a minute. You can carry your entire library with you everywhere you go. If you lose a book you can just download it again at no extra charge.

If people stop buying e-books the price will start to fall. If people complain but buy anyway, why do they expect the sellers to listen to their whinging when they demonstrate by their actions that they are not actually unhappy with the price? It's not as if an ebook is a critical acquisition.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2011 7:14:46 PM PDT
John says:
It's because of us if we buy them. I'm not buying this one at this price!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2011 9:31:19 PM PDT
David,

Some of us are on a budget when we are buying Kindle books. I hate
paying more than $9.99 although I have on a few occassions because
I wanted the book so bad. Otherwise I put those expensive Kindle
books on a tag list and hope the price will go down in the
near future. I agree with those who say they don't want
to pay more for a Kindle book than a hardcover book.
It would seem to me that a Kindle book is much less
expensive to produce. I've produced two so far and
I know it does take a bit of time to get them right. Still
I sell mine for 99 cents. Which I think would be an
excellent price for anyone who is a new author. Then
the price can be raised later if the book gets
really popular.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2011 9:33:15 PM PDT
Movie Queen - You are right about all the free books. I've
been taking advantage of that at amazon lately. I just
look up the top 100 free Kindle books and pick and
choose. It is great. Checking the list a few times
a week sure does save a lot of money. I've noticed
those books go back to regular price pretty
quickly.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2011 9:40:33 PM PDT
15 Expert Lessons for Retirement Planning - This Kindle book is regularly $49.99 which
is way too much money for an eBook. I got it free today because it is in
the top 100 free Kindle books. However I would never have purchased
it otherwise.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2011 7:59:42 PM PDT
Because we buy from Amazon. If the fruit in the produce section is rotten you complain to the store not Granny Smith. It is Amazon's job to deal with customers. They should at least know how they feel. But at the end of the day you vote with your purchases. Period.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the See A Kindle In Your City forum

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Participants:  102
Total posts:  178
Initial post:  Sep 25, 2011
Latest post:  Sep 8, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 16 customers

Search Customer Discussions