Customer Discussions > See A Kindle In Your City forum

Kindle in Korea

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 33 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 22, 2010 6:03:21 PM PST
felly djuita says:
Anybody use kindle in Korea?

Posted on Dec 23, 2010 5:59:14 AM PST
I do! I have a K2, and it's one of the best investments I've ever made, considering the limited (and expensive!) English-language book options there.

Posted on Feb 5, 2011 11:47:05 PM PST
M. Choi says:
I use a K1, which I've been using in Korea for the past two years or so. It really is a great investment, you can get many books that just aren't easily available here. I download books from my computer to my Kindle. I would note that I got my K1 in the US before I moved to Korea, so I'm not sure if there are copyright restrictions on books you can order from a Korea-based address.

Posted on Feb 9, 2011 5:05:09 AM PST
L. Bravim says:
I use the Kindle 3 in Korea. If you live in Seoul, there are some decent English language bookstores. In most of the country, you have to buy online or go without. The Kindle makes it so simple for those of us living abroad.

Posted on Feb 9, 2011 10:33:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 9, 2011 10:34:48 AM PST
S. C. Kwak says:
I brought my Kindle 3 with me to Korea when I graduated college and came home to Seoul this past December. It's great, because as you guys have all mentioned, the selection of English-language books is quite limited here. That said, the majority of academic works in my areas of interest (anthropology and Middle Eastern history) are yet to be made available on the Kindle, though I'm hoping Amazon will get around to uploading more.

I saw a person using K3 on a subway ride one day - kind of cool, since it's a rare sight here. Would have been funny if I had sat down next to him with my own Kindle. For some reason, I didn't have mine with me that day, which is usually not the case.

@M. Choi - From what I understand to be the case, there does not seem to be any problem with international copyrights but Amazon does charge extra $2 for Kindle e-book purchases made internationally. This is determined by whether the address of the credit card/bank account you use is in the US or elsewhere. I've kept my US checking account when I left the States for this reason, to pay for my Kindle purchases.

Posted on Feb 9, 2011 1:50:30 PM PST
I appreciate this question as my first action/thriller novel The Hidden Enemy addresses a North Korean coup d'état by means of an underground movement lead by an unlikely political prisoner from China. Chang Chi Lee a former leader in the Tiananmen Square massacre was sent to a North Korean prison to break the ties with his student followers, only to be found-out as a viable leader for an uprising in Pyongyang, N.K. The Hidden Enemy

Posted on Feb 10, 2011 10:24:57 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jun 9, 2011 9:55:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 9, 2011 9:56:15 PM PDT
Roger Weston says:
The Golden Catch is an action-thriller that takes place in Alaska and S. Korea.

Overview:
An ex-CIA assassin who seeks redemption.
A beautiful archaeologist.
A treasure hoard on a remote Alaskan island.
A Korean billionaire who unleashes his ruthless killers to get what he wants.
Can a crab fisherman use survival skills from his past to save his friends and his son?

"Jason Bourne meets Indiana Jones" Claire Brandt

The Golden Catch

Posted on Nov 7, 2011 5:15:35 AM PST
Does anyone have a specific recommendation as to a hard cover for a Kindle Touch?

Posted on Jan 22, 2012 12:54:12 AM PST
I'm a New Zealander currently living in Korea. Is it possible for me to buy a Kindle with a NZ or Korean credit card and use the Kindle outside of the US?

Posted on Jan 25, 2012 3:21:25 AM PST
Get the Model with 3G as the WiFi is hard to get even in Seoul in many places.

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 10:06:40 PM PDT
Cloud-spear says:
Can you buy a Kindle FROM Korea? I just moved here and would love nothing more than to get my hands on one. Should I just have it sent somewhere to a friend in the states who can mail it for me via FedEx?

Posted on Apr 1, 2012 6:54:03 PM PDT
Existence In Words I would like to recommend this book. It is my first small poetry book but I am trying to break intot he Asian Korean market.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2012 2:29:22 AM PDT
cherrylee says:
you can have it mailed directly to you

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 2:49:26 AM PDT
Cloud-spear says:
Every time I try to order one it Amazon tells me it can't.

Posted on Apr 19, 2012 8:17:58 PM PDT
Claude says:
I am glad to know that Kindle is taking off and is full of fire all over the world!

Posted on May 21, 2012 6:35:21 AM PDT
Anton Hur says:
I bought my Kindle Touch using a Korean credit card (with an international VISA attached to it) and had it delivered here. It was before the Korea-US FTA came into effect however so I was taxed, but the funny thing was, a month later Amazon REFUNDED me a bunch of money (I forget how much) back to my credit card saying something about giving back some of my tax. It was pretty random but I'm sure they had a good reason to charge me and then refund me, who could keep all the tax laws straight anymore. I can buy all books, download all free books, etc.

Posted on Jun 3, 2012 4:31:25 AM PDT
Denise Dixon says:
I have a Kindle fire and am going to Seoul in Oct. Does anyone know if my map apps will work?

Posted on Jun 3, 2012 11:24:39 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 3, 2012 11:26:13 PM PDT]

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 5:32:40 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 4, 2012 5:36:38 AM PDT
JDM says:
I live in Gwangju and I have a Kindle Touch and a Kindle Fire. I love them both for different reasons. Here in Korea, the only downside is not getting Netflix and stuff for the Fire. My wife and I both LOVE reading on the bus here. At first I was nervous that we wouldn't be able to download books from the store. (this was sort of the case with our Nooks before we sold those.) but the Kindle store easily accessible.
But yes, most of your apps will work just fine.

Posted on Jun 5, 2012 12:00:49 AM PDT
Cloud-spear says:
Hey, guys. Thanks for the replies. I guess there's a difficulty when ordering and you have to go to the international orders page for ordering from Korea. The only problem is sometimes it defaults back to the American page and tells you that you can't order. It took me a number of tries but I finally put the order through and have received my Kindle. Many thanks, joe

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2012 8:51:05 PM PDT
KEB says:
When you say "not getting Netflix and stuff for the Fire" - do you have trouble downloading books for the Fire in Korea? I'm moving there shortly.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 1:11:24 PM PDT
Ty, Felly; I was wondering the same.. Maybe even more so since I am the author of a Korean war memoir; WHAT'S A COMMIE EVER DONE TO BLACK PEOPLE?
(before your time I'm sure:-) I've also often wonder if Korean youth took much interest in such books?

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 4:51:37 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 8, 2012 4:54:00 PM PDT
Re: KEB's question about not getting Netflix: There's no problem downloading *books* in Korea; but Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Hulu, and a few other internet video sites are not accessible here. If you try to access them, you get a little pop-up that says they're accessible only in the U.S. and its territories.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 7:01:23 AM PDT
JDM,

I also live in Gwangju and am looking to purchase a Kindle Touch 3g or Fire, if I must. Do you know anyone who might be selling one?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the See A Kindle In Your City forum

This discussion

Participants:  26
Total posts:  33
Initial post:  Dec 22, 2010
Latest post:  Jul 1, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions