Customer Discussions > See A Kindle In Your City forum

Kindle in Japan

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 27, 2010 5:29:01 AM PST
Kuronue says:
Hello! Just wanted to let anyone who happens to be traveling to Japan, the Kindle works great here! Even if you happen to be coming to a tiny little town in the middle of nowhere (like where I live) you will be able to download new books onto the Kindle just fine.

Posted on Feb 27, 2010 9:25:58 AM PST
MH Sargent says:
Thanks to telling us. My father has a Kindle and is going to Japan next month. Please clarify - do you have an Amazon account in the U.S., or is your account set up in Japan?

Posted on Jan 21, 2012 8:11:43 PM PST
I have the third gen Kindle, living in the Tokyo metropolitan area, and I have noticed that leaving the wireless on over here absolutely *devours* battery life compared to when I was in Korea or the US. Probably something to do with how the 3G network is set up here. So I went to only switching on the wireless when I needed to grab a book (which is what a lot of Kindle owners do anyways).

Also, if you bring your Kindle over from another country, the first time you connect to the wireless, it might have you sitting there for a minute or two. It took a while to connect the first time when I got here, probably just because of the device setting up the new wireless configuration.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2012 9:26:56 PM PST
I taught English as a second language in Japan way back in 1972. Don't have any fiction set in Japan (started one work that I might go back and see if I can kick it forward) but you might be interested in looking at my other works. Just search Randy Attwood. Arigato!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2012 9:27:51 PM PST
R.Parklane says:
I live in Tokyo too and you are right about the 3G devouring the battery!

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 10:13:00 PM PST
How can we connect Kindle Fire to YBB wi-fi in Japan? It asks for ID and Password, but Kindle Fire has a window for only password, and writing the password without ID ends in "Error."

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2012 7:29:32 AM PST
Michael Ward says:
Hi Kuronue

Great to hear that the kindle works in Japan. I am a great fan of Japanese writer Haruki Murakami's books. I have just issued a book on the kindle for 99 cents US. It is called "The Banker With a Face Full of Evil" and is about a female assassin who executes seven investment bankers in Stockholm, Sweden. One of her favorite martial arts weapons is a Japanese weapon called the jutte which is made of solid iron and is intended to knock an opponent out with one strike.

Regards

Michael Ward

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2012 7:33:41 AM PST
Michael Ward says:
Hi Randy

I just pulled up your book "Spill" to take a look at. I have just issued a book on the kindle for 99 cents US. It is called "The Banker With a Face Full of Evil" and is about a female assassin who executes seven investment bankers in Stockholm, Sweden. How has your experience been with issuing a book on the kindle. This is my first kindle book although I have had 8 short stories published around the world.

Regards

Michael Ward

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2012 12:21:28 PM PST
Dear Michael,

Thanks for having a look at SPILL. I'm curious. How did you find it? This whole marketing thing is very much a mystery to me.

I started last summer epublishing. Best explanation is this blogpost and you can also look at the blog for more detail about the whole adventure.

http://www.randyattwood.blogspot.com/2011/08/reflections-from-aging-writer.html

Overall, I'm very glad I decided to epublish. I started out with Smashwords to learn the ropes, but my sales via them have fallen to almost nothing. I have two works, SPILL is one of them, in the Kindle Select program, which means you give Kindle exclusivity. Right now I am leaning towards putting all my works on Select.

The writers who seem to have the most success with epublishing are those that write for the easily identifiable genres: zombies, vampires, romance, historical fiction. My stuff doesn't fit well into genres, although I'm nearing completion of getting a book that will fit into the suspense/thriller/mystery genre easily and has a heavy Navajo component.

Thanks again for giving SPILL a shot and for contacting me.

email is randyattwood@hotmail.com

Randy Attwood

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2012 1:49:19 PM PST
jay1000 says:
I borrowed Spill from the Prime Lending Library and I'll review from the standpoint of a retired oil industry engineer. Just out of interest, do you get paid for Prime Library loans? It's not like a Public Library where they actually buy the book.

I spent a year in Ashiya/Kobe in 1984 and Japan strikes me as an ideal location for any type of novel.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2012 2:40:04 PM PST
Thanks, Jay! Hope SPILL gives you a giggle or three. Last pay out, I got $1.70 per borrow. Agree with you about Japan setting. I lived there for 18 months early 1970s and started a work called "Wanted: Native Speaker" but never got it moving for me. I may revisit it. Done that before with works that stalled on me only to find a way out of the corner into which I had written myself when I returned to it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 4:10:43 PM PST
A. Billings says:
Hello, Are you the Minoru Akimoto who did a series (English translation) in Koku-Fan on Imperial Japanese Navy seaplane markings? If so, please contact me: sbillin9@bellsouth.net. Thank you!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the See A Kindle In Your City forum

This discussion

Participants:  9
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Feb 27, 2010
Latest post:  Dec 10, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions