Customer Discussions > See A Kindle In Your City forum

Using kindle in mexico

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 196 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 6, 2008 4:38:08 PM PDT
Are there prohibitions against downloading books to Kindles in Mexico

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2008 6:36:50 PM PDT
Elsi says:
Not as long as you download to your computer and transfer to the Kindle with the USB cable. (Assuming that there are no legal restrictions on what books you can buy.) The Whispernet connection is only available in the USA.

Posted on Feb 25, 2009 3:35:23 PM PST
There are no legal restrictions on what books you can buy in México.

Posted on Mar 4, 2009 8:26:34 AM PST
Luis Venegas says:
I have Kindle for iPhone in Mexico. When I try to buy a Kindle book (with 1click method) the next message appears:

"We are sorry...
We could not process your order because of geographical restrictions on the product which you were attempting to purchase. Please refer to the terms of use for this product to determine the geographical restrictions. // We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you".

Any ideas? (By the way: I can't find the "terms of use" of the book)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2009 9:23:06 AM PST
You can definitely download the Kindle books in Mexico, but I think you have to go download to your computer, then to the Kindle...I'm not sure if the process is the same for iphones. It may be because the wireless connection directly to an iphone is not functional.
I once got a message that there were geographical restrictions on the PRODUCT, i.e. the book. It was a mistake. If you email Kindle support, they should be able to get you going in this regard.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2009 9:23:34 AM PST
You can definitely download the Kindle books in Mexico, but I think you have to go download to your computer, then to the Kindle...I'm not sure if the process is the same for iphones. It may be because the wireless connection directly to an iphone is not functional.
I once got a message that there were geographical restrictions on the PRODUCT, i.e. the book. It was a mistake. If you email Kindle support, they should be able to get you going in this regard.

Posted on Mar 4, 2009 8:46:42 PM PST
Hay alguna persona que tenga el kindle en Mexico que nos diga como funciona, tengo tiempo queriendolo comprar pero no se que tal funcionaria aqui.

Tengo cuenta en amazon y siempre pido las cosas a un pobox que tengo en texas.

el dia de hoy baje la aplicacion para el iphone y me parece algo con lo que creeo me tendre que conformar de momento.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2009 5:00:13 PM PST
R. Uphoff says:
Add a US invoice address (of a friend, a hotel, doesn't matter as no physical product will be shipped), define it (temporarily) as your default 1-click address - and you are done! No "geographical restriction" message any more. That's what I am doing from Spain.

It's stupid anyway, as you can buy and get shipped Amazon books to any part of the world...

Posted on Mar 5, 2009 6:56:35 PM PST
Readnswim says:
Javier,

Con tal de que tengas una tarjeta de credito con el pobox en texas tu puedes tener un Kindle y comprar los libros. Lo que tienes que hacer para conseguir los libros es ponerlos en el computer y despues pasarlos al Kindle por medio del USB. El whispernet no funciona en Mexico.

Posted on Mar 6, 2009 12:20:50 AM PST
Thanks for all the posts as I am trying to sort out this issue before we leave for Europe in one week. The post by R. Uphoff...what do you mean a US address? Can you tell me again what you do? I live in the states but I am aware that while in Europe I will have to download to my computer and then to my kindle. Can you explain? Thanks and I appreciate your reply!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2009 5:25:03 AM PST
MexFrank says:
Luis,
this happens to me when I use a Mexican Credit card. Use a US credit card and you will be fine.
Saludos

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2009 5:29:12 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 6, 2009 5:31:35 AM PST]

Posted on Mar 8, 2009 9:55:53 PM PDT
ReadnSwim

No puedo por que me dice que mi tarjeta debe ser de USA me pide el billing information. El cual no coincide con el de mi tarjeta de credito ya que es de un banco mexicano.

Posted on Mar 8, 2009 10:03:22 PM PDT
Uphoff

I cant do that cause my credit card is from a mexican bank. And i cant put another billing adress. If i use another billing andress mi card reject the charge.

The only adress i can change is the shipping. Thats where i enter my pobox info when i order any other product from amazon

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2009 12:12:40 AM PDT
j says:
Luis, I had the same problem yesterday, and I am in Kuwait! You change your credit card info under my acct to a U.S. issued (billing address) one and it will work. order by 1 click method. go to all departments (left side of amazon home pg) and access kindle. at bottom of your kindle page, you will have list of books (not the one on the right side). click on the + symbol at the left of the book and it will give you more info. On the right hand column it says download, click that and download (i prefer to save on desktop so i don't lose it for the time being) it will download in a matter of seconds) plug in ur kindle with USB connection, go to MY COMPUTER and click on kindle. There is a folder called documents. Open this and you will see all ur other books. Drag ur newly downloaded book into the same folder and in 2 seconds it is in ur kindle. u don't even have to "safely remove" the kindle device. unplug and it is there!!!! Oh, if ur using the iphone instead of computer, make sure u have downloaded the apps from apple. u can get from apple website or from itunes and go to apps. no charge. once this is done, if u have wireless (doesn't have to be whispernet) you can access ur acct at amazon to do this on iphone. hope i didn't confuse u

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2009 12:17:32 AM PDT
j says:
Esther, I have traveled to several continents. Currently I am in Kuwait with my Kindle. Going thru customs in Europe, Middle East, U.S. my kindle has never been questioned. Only Sony PSP, Wii and computers have been swabbed through customs. Iphone and Ipod touch both with wireless capabilities along with Kindle have never been checked. I download books in Kuwait that are probably prohibited due to strict social and religious values, but I wouldn't worry about Mexico. Its like asking, can i surf the web for prohibited sites (i'll be nice and not mention them) its nobody's business unless ur being tracked by the u.s. govt. we are all a little 2 afraid of the patriot act huh?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2009 4:04:45 AM PDT
R. Uphoff says:
A Spanish Amex card worked for me. Visa and Mastercard appear to be less "globalised" cards.
Amazon's policies are absurd. You can buy physical books, but you can't get the same book in electronic format.

I actually switched to the iRex iLiad which works with the Mobipocket eBook store (donde encuentras también muchos libros en español). It's not as straightforward to use as the Kindle, but it has a much bigger screen, a touchscreen which allows you to add handwritten notes to your eBooks and is OPEN SOURCE. (It's the typical European product - less userfriendly, worse marketing, but much more powerful because of being "open standard").

Posted on Oct 2, 2009 12:51:46 PM PDT
Do you know how I could download a newspaper without whispernet? If I buy the annual suscription would I be able to download it to my computer and then to my Kindle?

Posted on Nov 3, 2009 7:12:48 PM PST
Elbarny says:
Buyers in Mexico and LatAm beware:
Not all Kindle content is available in Mexico, current amazon Kindle bestsellers are only for U.S. customers.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2009 7:50:53 AM PST
j says:
If you buy & set up ur kindle in u.s. & have click 1 to buy, you can download any book avail from kindle and transfer it via computer USB 2 ur kindle. I don't have the international kindle but the one before it and I use mine & have bought books via my kindle acct in the country of Kuwait, so if u know how, it should be the same in Mexico unless ur using a dial up or internet connection that is censored. Even mine in is censored in Kuwait, and I can still get my erotica!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2009 4:51:21 PM PST
I live in the Dominican Republic and buy my kindle books with a dominican credit card. Even though the whispernet does work here, I am downloading the books via the computer because if I use the Whispernet it will recognize that I am not in the States and will change my locations and the availability of books. Am very happy though with the Kindle and don't mind downloading via the computer, it's fast and easy. Good luck!

Posted on Nov 6, 2009 5:31:32 PM PST
peek-a-boo says:
I live in Monterrey, and have the international Kindle, and can easily download books either via the computer or wirelessly (though international fees are charged... about 2 dollars).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2009 5:27:06 PM PST
Hola. Yo compre el kindle de la misma manera que compro los libros en amazon y me llegó a mi dirección en México en 4 días. Desde el mismo kindle he podido comprar los libros sin problema y en menos de 5 minutos ya están descargados. Yo estoy encantada de haberlo comprado.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2009 5:29:18 PM PST
I have the first version which doesn't have the capacity for directly downloading books, but it's really no problem to download them from my laptop where they appear in seconds.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2009 11:04:19 AM PST
Me podrias dar tu correo electronico por favor, igualmente yo estoy en monterrey me gustaria chatear 5 minutos para que me ayudes con unas dudas del kindle y comprarlo a la brevedad. Gracias. mi msn es cruz35@hotmail.com saludos.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  121
Total posts:  196
Initial post:  Jun 6, 2008
Latest post:  19 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 29 customers

Search Customer Discussions