Customer Discussions > See A Kindle In Your City forum

Using Kindle on a cruise

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 39 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 15, 2011 8:54:18 PM PST
Linda Ealey says:
I'm going on an eastern Caribbean cruise in January 2012 and want to know if I can use my Kindle while out at sea--whether to read books already downloaded or download new books while at sea?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2011 11:01:00 PM PST
Jody Plummer says:
You will definitely be able to read books already downloaded. You don't have to hve Wi Fi on to read books. You will probably have to be at port to download new books.

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 11:18:52 PM PST
Sandy Shores says:
I was able to download new books while on a New England Cruise from Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2011 1:23:42 AM PST
Linda Ealey says:
Thank you very much for your quick response. Just wanted to be sure about NOT paying any additional costs to read any of my downloaded materials.....happy holidays!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2011 2:16:01 AM PST
I have just been on a cruise to the South Pacific and was able to read my downloaded books while at sea.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2011 7:11:36 AM PST
Sandy Shores says:
Don't forget to take your chargers..I almost did. I would hope that a good cruise ship would have those on hand but let's not fiind out that way. After January I'll let you know about Panama, Virgin Islands, and Costa Rica.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2011 7:26:41 AM PST
No wireless needed to read material already downloaded. Turn it off and save your battery. I purchased books whilst on a cruise to New Zealand last Winter (e.g. in port in Auckland) so yes, you should be able to purchase new books in port. All you need is a 3G signal.

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 11:03:03 PM PST
Cars&Guitars says:
Glad to see this topic pop up. I'm also going on a Caribbean cruise next Summer, and I was wondering this exact same question myself. My parents assured me that I can use the Kindle to read and play off-line games only, since the internet onboard the ship is ridiculously expensive. Glad to see I'll be able to read books using the Kindle just fine without issues.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011 4:50:41 AM PST
Luis Diego says:
Sure you can. Once that you had downloaded a book, it's on your kindle, there is not need a internet connection at all.

Regards,

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 3:07:28 PM PST
we got waterproof bags for our kindles and used on our cruise on the beach and poolside and they worked great!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2011 7:33:05 PM PST
Mark Twain says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 20, 2011 8:39:29 AM PST
I have even downloaded a new book on a cruise ship using 3G - but that only worked once.
Waterproof "bags" for Kindle are great- read in the pool or jacuzzi. To be safe download all the books you could possibly read on your cruise before you go - this means transferring them from the "archives" to the device before you go - and transfer some extras to give yourself a choice. You'll find that almost everyone reading by the pool on a ship is reading a Kindle. I hardly see anyone reading real books there anymore. I like to find some "cruise related" book to download before a cruise. That seems fun to read when you're ON a cruise.
Be sure to pack the charger plug and cable. I find that I need the Kindle PLUG - the Kindle cable doesn't seem to fit all the way into my other USB plugs - and other micro cables don't seem to charge the Kindle. So be sure you take chargers that make the "lightning bolt" show up on your Kindle screen.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2011 10:03:56 PM PST
Yes, internet on the ship is very expensive and slow. Having just returned from a cruise to the Bahamas, St. Thomas and St. Maarten, I regret spending the large amount that resulted on the ship's internet access after it was all said and done.

I used the cruise ship's internet cafe's computers, my netbook and the Kindle to access it. When accessing the ship's wi-fi via Kindle, I had to sign in via Kindle's browser before continuing. Updated blogs and several books were downloaded onto my Kindle while using the ship's wi-fi. Even though the wi-fi was available all over the ship, I found it was fastest right there in the internet cafe and very, very slow in my Deck 10 stateroom.

It's best to limit ship's wi-fi access to downloading your subscribed Kindle blogs and leave the ebooks until you have 3G access, and to have lots of books already downloaded to your Kindle before the cruise.

Posted on Nov 20, 2011 10:54:58 PM PST
It's not free to download your blogs. It costs $4.95 (per week I think). I cruise a lot and always have my Kindle and charger although I must admit it never occurred to me to purchase a waterproof cover. I'll have to look into that, thanks.

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 10:03:15 AM PST
A. Dong says:
My guess is that, unless you have 3G on your Kindle, that you might have to pay for wi-fi access on the cruise.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 7:29:05 PM PST
Just returned from a trip to Paris and a cruise up the Seine River. There was free WIFI on board the cruise ship and my Kindle worked flawlessly. I'm getting a new Fire for my wife for Christmas.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2011 10:10:55 AM PST
many many people read books on kindle on the ships. Just download the books before you leave home. I'll suggest my Darcy Farthing cruise crime novels for cruisers, now $3.00 for kindle. passengers say they like reading them because they have information about Caribbean and So. American ports woven into the stories.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2011 11:04:15 AM PST
Sandy Shores says:
Thank you for your suggestion on cruise crime books. yikes..I will try one now in case i want more for January cruise to those areas, plus costa rica, Panama and virgin islands. Hoping they are not scary because i need to relax.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2011 12:01:21 PM PST
Don says:
the tested facts: Kindles are absolutely great on a cruise. By all means take it! WiFi is spotty, but may work near a window docked in ports or on shore (free or paid), or if you buy ship minutes and the browser requires your account then connects (Princess, Celebrity, RC) then the store will work too.. . Be sure you do the ships logout page or you continue to burn scarce minutes. Where you get signal depends on where you are - in some staterooms and balconies it works, and public areas, but maybe not upper or main decks away from antennae.

3G from AT

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2011 12:07:28 PM PST
Don says:
more--3G (AT&T) is the way to go if your Kindle has it. All Free - it works in and near most ports and cities, except small Islands with non-partnered local mobile service, like St. Kitts. Works up to 100 miles offshore, ( off Seattle &Alaska cities) till ship cell switches to roaming satellite. I bought a Costa Rica travel guide riding the tour bus. I'm a cruiser and long time Kindle guide author, and always cover this in my books.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2011 12:19:20 PM PST
Love 2 Read says:
If you have WiFi with 3G you should also be able to download books. I took a cruise to the Bahamas and I was able to download books.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2011 12:21:55 PM PST
Frustrated says:
Yes ma'am. Shouldn't be a problem with books already loaded. You might have an issue as you probably won't have access to the Whispernet or the Internet while at Sea. Have fun!

Posted on Nov 30, 2011 11:30:22 PM PST
Sam says:
Hey Cruisers!
Agree with others, K. Albe summarized well. Your 3G works where there are towers - not many at sea! Depends on how close to land you are if you're getting 3G.
But why worry about it? Download archived and new books before leaving so you don't waste time on your cruise. You'll find lots of sllloooowww downloads, depending on where you are, which cruise line, etc. So take care of it before leaving.
Don't forget your charger - yikes!
If rooming with other(s), buy a reading light. Ships don't usually have convenient lighting, and the rooms are so small, it's hard to have a light on without keeping others awake. We did a Disney cruise, and I ended up not being able to "Kindle" myself to sleep, because the light would have kept the hubby and kids awake. Betcha I bought one as soon as I got home! :)
Enjoy your cruise!

Posted on Dec 1, 2011 1:29:00 PM PST
Jerseykat says:
Used my Kindle2 on a cruise to Alaska last spring. Obviously I could read previously downloaded books, but I was also able to download books via 3G during the trip. Now you are pretty close to shore during this cruise but you are also in Int'l waters (Canada) alot. Would be curious to see if this would work also on a Caribbean cruise.

Posted on Dec 1, 2011 1:59:42 PM PST
Susan says:
I carry plastic zipper bags whenever I travel, and pop my K2i into one whenever I'm near water or sand. This also comes in handy if you like to take a bubble bath and read, too. ;-)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  30
Total posts:  39
Initial post:  Nov 15, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 26, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions