Customer Discussions > See A Kindle In Your City forum

See a Kindle in Singapore

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 217 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 13, 2008 2:29:45 AM PDT
Jen Marceaux says:
I was really apprehensive about getting a Kindle to use overseas, but I have had it for about a month now and I absolutely love it! If you want to see mine before you make the investment, I'm happy to show you.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2008 2:11:46 AM PDT
Siti Rohaya says:
Hi Jen!

You have a Kindle in Singapore? Cool! I've been surfing the net and trying to find ways to get it into Singapore. How did you do it? Do you face any problems here? Like getting the Kindlebooks wired to your kindle?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2008 10:54:03 PM PDT
JPL says:
Hi Jen, does all the functionality like Amazon Wireless still work when here in Singapore?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2008 10:48:09 AM PDT
Bookie says:
the wireless doesnt work outside of the USA- you can still buy books using your amazon account online and then download them to your PC and upload them via a cable to your kindle- not exactly instantaneous- but much easier (and cheaper) than slugging it down to orchard to Kino or Borders! Kindle rocks.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2008 10:14:41 PM PDT
Annoyed says:
Hi Siti

Thought you need to be aware of this, you can only buy kindle books if you have a US issued credit card. My husband was so excited about kindle, he went ahead and purchased a kindle unit without any prior research only to discover that he cannot purchase any kindle books without a US credit card. We are quite upset that Amazon allows one to purchase the gadget using non US issued credit cards but not the books. Still fuming...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2008 3:26:41 AM PDT
Jamieson Teo says:
Sounds to me more like a distribution issue. Its the same as buying an iPod in Singapore but not able to buy the music from iTunes. Its a licensing problem, nothing much Amazon can do.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2008 1:19:01 AM PDT
Siti Rohaya says:
Really?! wow! That's really disappointing.. I'm really excited about Kindle...So the fact that we need a US Credit Card is a turn off.. Thanks Annoyed!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2008 2:05:06 AM PDT
Book Lover says:
You don't really need a US credit card. You can just buy gift cards and apply those to your account.

Jen - I'm another fellow Kindle owner in Singapore too!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2008 2:48:46 AM PDT
Siti Rohaya says:
Cool! But how do you get Kindle shipped to Singapore? I tried ordering, but was not successful due to "geographical reason" or something like that.. Any advise?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2008 5:41:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 20, 2008 6:44:13 AM PDT
Book Lover says:
Ah - Like most other people I got the Kindle in the US. The first 1 I got I had a friend buy and bring it back to me. The 2nd one I got for my sis when I was in the US. I wished the wireless worked outside the US! It's pretty cool to be able to buy and have the book downloaded immediately

Purchasing it requires a US address for it to be shipped to and a US credit card i think.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2008 7:12:14 AM PDT
Annoyed says:
Book Lover
Err...That's strange cos I had the same idea, bought a $100 gift card but I still can't buy anything from the kindle store. You can only use the 1-click function to purchase from the kindle store, i.e. u need to purchase using your credit card! As Jamieson says, it's a licensing problem so I am sure they would have anticipated this loophole - true enough they did.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2008 7:20:13 AM PDT
Annoyed says:
Siti
It's no problem purchasing from singapore, which is what we did. Just use one of the online shopping and shipping service such as vpost. Amazon ships to your vpost US address and vpost (by Singpost) ships it to your Singapore address. But I am honestly telling you kindle doesn't work in singapore. You can download some kindle compatible material from a few websites but these are mainly DRM free material i.e. very old books like the classics. All the new publications you need to buy from amazon kindle store in order to be able to read them on your kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2008 8:40:12 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 21, 2008 8:56:31 AM PDT
Book Lover says:
Annoyed

That's weird - I purchased some gift cards with my HSBC Singapore credit card and had no problems using them to buy Kindle books when I applied them to my account. It could be that I also have a US based credit card linked to my Amazon a/c. I have no problems buying the books, downloading them to my pc and then via USB to Kindle

I was thinking of just asking my friends to buy me Amazon gift cards instead of gift vouchers from Kino or Borders as B'day gifts :D Now I wonder if those will work

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2008 10:34:55 PM PDT
Siti Rohaya says:
Hahaha...Now I'm very confused...
Should I...or should I not..I don't have friends in US, nor do I have any US-based credit card... It's really wasted if I can't get the books when I have Kindle..
confused confused....

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2008 9:22:47 PM PDT
J. Lew says:
Dear Booklover,

Thanks for your thoughts on the Kindle. Was wondering if you have been able to use Kindle for email, and how uesful do you think the product has been for that purpose? Have you considered getting a pdf for the purposes of reading as well? What made you decide on the Kindle?

Many thanks for your thoughts in advance,
Joyce

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2008 7:38:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 31, 2008 7:42:45 PM PDT
Book Lover says:
Hi Joyce

I'm not using the Kindle for email at all. In fact i'm not even sure if you can use it for email. The Kindle's primary function is not email but as a book reader. Most of the paperbacks I read are not available in PDF format or due to DRM, you can only read on a laptop . I've always felt that nothing beats a good old fashion book in hand but the Kindle has made me chaged my mind.

I've read ebooks for a long time as some of the independent publishing houses only have them in ebook format and it get's tiring on the eyes after a while. I don't have that problem with the Kindle. And it's really convenient to just take my Kindle instead of packing 4-5 books when I travel. And the Kindle is kinda easier to read when ur lying in bed :D

Also, as many in Singapore know, buying books here is very expensive compared to the US. I'm a book addict and easily spend SGD500 plus a month on paperbacks. I now just pay the same price as if in the US - so I save a bundle and I do not have to wait for the book to arrive in Singapore! My regular bookstore is sad to have lost most of my business but the cost savings is a huge factor for me

Another factor is the space. I have so many books that I've had to rent a storage unit to store my books. Now my books are stored on a memory card.

I'm happy to show my Kindle off.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2008 10:51:40 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 6, 2011 2:43:06 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2008 10:52:51 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2008 10:53:45 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2008 10:54:20 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 6, 2011 2:43:07 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2008 10:55:15 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 6, 2011 2:43:07 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2008 8:18:41 AM PDT
ally says:
Annoyed
If you want to purchase kindle books via Gift card. please delete your credit card records in Amazon. You will be able to purchase any books from Kindle books shop.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2008 8:50:47 PM PDT
Jen Marceaux says:
I had mine shipped to my mom in the US and then she mailed it to me here. I have no problems putting the books onto my computer. I just use the cable instead of the wireless method.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2008 8:51:36 PM PDT
Jen Marceaux says:
No - you cannot use the wireless here in Singapore. That's the downfall. It worked perfectly when I went back to the US to visit, but here you do not get the Whispernet or the Wikipedia. You do get the dictionary, though, and I have no problems putting the books onto my Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2008 8:52:26 PM PDT
Jen Marceaux says:
have you tried purchasing a gift certificate with the credit card and using the gift certificate to pay for books? Just a thought!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  104
Total posts:  217
Initial post:  Jun 13, 2008
Latest post:  Dec 27, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 65 customers

Search Customer Discussions