Customer Discussions > See A Kindle In Your City forum

Does Kindle work in Puerto Rico?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 170 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 6, 2008 3:37:21 PM PDT
I am wondering if Kindle gets signal in San Juan, Puerto Rico where I live? I travel alot to central and south America so information on signal axcess map would be helpful as well.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards
John Halloran
CEO
www.certifiedgoldexchange.com
www.woomail.com

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2008 5:35:50 AM PDT
M. Grajales says:
I have a feeling the answer would be no. The Kindle connection is through the Sprint EVDO network, not 3G as some may think. Sprint includes coverage (EVDO) in Puerto Rico as part of US plans. However, when you look at the Kindle coverage map, it excludes Puerto Rico. I'm assuming that Sprint has different coverage areas for the Kindle versus phone service.
Here's a link to the map. http://www.showmycoverage.com/mycoverage.jsp?id=A921ZON

I hope I'm wrong. When I visit my family, it would be nice to have coverage if I needed it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2008 5:17:33 AM PDT
I live in Puerto Rico and was wondering the same thing The coverage map shows that sprint does cover all the coastal areas of PR, with EVDO access... so is there anything else that would be stopping whipernet from working?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2008 2:12:45 PM PDT
Yes, it does. I just spent a week on vacation in Rincon and enjoyed reception all through Puerto Rico (Flew in to San Juan).
Hope you decide on a Kindle, I love mine!!!
Good Look
Sandy

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2008 4:44:41 PM PDT
J. Maynard says:
I understand that the Kindle also works in the U.S. Virgin Islands, Hawaii, and Guam. I do not know whether or not it works in American Samoa.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2008 4:02:11 PM PDT
K. Holland says:
I live on st john in the us virgin islands and I have one and it works here! I have to go to an area where sprint cell service works. I also had to have it sent to my sisters house in the states and have to use a credit card that is u a based other than those tiny glitches I love it . I always have a ggod book to read . The only bookstore of any consequence is on st Thomas so I have saved alot of ferry fees as well!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2008 4:47:05 AM PDT
beachbaby says:
I live in Vieques - has anyone kindled in Vieques successfully?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2008 3:36:54 PM PST
I tried to place an order for the kindle earlier today,it is not letting me have it shipped to Puerto Rico(neither PO Box nor Physical address),however the sprint signal test seems to be strong enough in most parts of the island. I may have to order it and have it shipped in the continental US. If you have further info please post.

Manolo Chaves
Sunny Planet

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2008 11:21:18 AM PST
J. Leonard says:
This may be a stupid question- how about parts of East Africa? Would anyone find it worthwhile to load a kindle with books in the US, then travelling?

Posted on Apr 18, 2009 12:23:29 PM PDT
jaime says:
The Kindle works in Puerto Rico great, with the Sprint system. The problem is that Amazon does not support Puerto Rico as a billing state. MY mom ran into this problem. She bought the kindle, but with her credit card with a puerto Rican address, it would not accept it. I really wish Amazon would look into changing this. Im not completely sure what the exact details as to why, but they could open up to many more customers.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2009 6:19:46 AM PDT
I loaded mine up and then traveled to Cyprus. Although I couldn't purchase any new books, I was of course able to read anything I already had loaded on there. It was wonderful for traveling!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2009 2:30:32 PM PDT
Rincon Pete says:
Hi,

Thanks for the info! I just got a Kindle 2 and I'm traveling to my vacation home in Rincon, Amapola House. I'm so glad it works there.

Peter Aviles
vacation@amapolahouse.com
www.AmapolaHouse.com

Posted on Apr 19, 2009 8:29:13 PM PDT
Varna Girl says:
How about Ontario, Canada? I just bought the Kindle 2 a few minutes ago. Since I travel to Canada every weekend, I'm hoping it will work there.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2009 5:42:57 AM PDT
just got back from three months at palmas del mar and i can tell you that all the books that i down loaded before i left the states worked perfectly----i was able to contact amazon and read about new books and even get a sample of any book but----ehere is some kind of crazy arangement ehere you can't buy anything from pr so you could not get the whole book, i don't think if your credit card is from pr that they could sell you a kindle.
dosoldgoldys.

Posted on Apr 20, 2009 7:46:08 AM PDT
yhalos says:
I live in the San Juan area and I got my Kindle2 a few weeks ago and it works just fine. I LOVE IT. !!!!
I had it shipped to my cousin in the states and she sent it to me. The only way to download and buy books with the one click is to change your billing address to someone in the Continental U.S. I'm sure Amazon is working to get this fixed because it makes absolutely no sense when we are part of the U.S. and the signal is working fine here.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2009 8:04:46 PM PDT
Queen Bee says:
No the Kindle does not work in Canada. I know this because I sent an email to Amazon asking them about this.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2009 8:51:52 PM PDT
"I have to go to an area where sprint cell service works."

Assuming you mean on St. John, generally where does Kindle work and where not ? Is this a line of sight to St Thomas consideration ?

Posted on Apr 20, 2009 9:09:59 PM PDT
S C says:
The Kindle will let you read existing pre-downloaded content world-wide.
You can download new content worldwide by connecting the USB cable to your computer and downloading over the internet.
You can download wirelessly over "Whispernet" only via Sprint, and supposedly only in the US (though if Sprint serves you somewhere else, it would be worth checking whether you can reach Amazon). It won't download new content wirelessly ANYWHERE without Sprint being the carrier.
Amazon will only ship within their recognized US states.
You probably need a US credit card and address to actually order the device and possibly to download books.

Posted on May 7, 2009 11:35:46 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 4, 2011 8:26:15 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2009 11:50:30 AM PDT
J. Reovan says:
I live in St. Thomas. Am considering a Kindle 2. Your post in about a year old. Is your Kindle still operating fine? Any new problems outside of the signal strenght in certain areas?

Posted on Jun 30, 2009 3:41:38 PM PDT
I currently live in Guatemala, Central America on a sailboat. I have a Kindle and it works by downloading the books to my computer and then transfer to the Kindle. Works for me!

S/V Dragonheart
Rio Dulce, Guatemala, Central America

Posted on Jul 1, 2009 2:40:57 PM PDT
karmaqueen says:
I live in San Juan, and have owned a Kindle 2 since April. I love my Kindle and the download speed of books is 3G here (seconds). I did have to have my Kindle shipped to my daughter's home in Washington DC (paid with my credit card with a San Juan address) because Amazon could not ship it to Puerto Rico, eventhough they have shipped almost every other thing i have bought from them before, here. My surprise came when I tried to use the same credit card to buy my Kindle books, after multiple errors I called Amazon customer service and they told me I could not use the same credit card (San Juan address) and I needed to have one that had Continental USA address on it. I solved the problem by using one from my daughter ( transfer money to her account ), but its really a pain.
I would not give up my Kindle for all the money in the world, and even after only these few months (and all the inconveniences detailed above) I cannot imagine what I did before I had it!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2009 7:23:20 PM PDT
Globetrotter says:
karmaqueen,

I found a simpler way.........purchase a gift card with your credit card,( gift cards can be purchased with a credit card from out of the US) then deposit the gift card to your account. When you want to buy a book, use the credit in your account to pay for it

Posted on Jul 9, 2009 10:23:42 PM PDT
I am in South Africa and am using my Kindle effortlessly.I download my books from my computer and pay via gift card.

Posted on Jul 10, 2009 1:10:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 10, 2009 1:27:57 AM PDT
Please remember that the Kindle "works" anywhere you have high-speed internet access. There is obviously the whispernet ability (like the area around my NJ home). If there is no whispernet service (like the area around my VA home) any books purchased can be downloaded to your computer via the "manage your Kindle" page here on Amazon and then moved to your Kindle via the USB port. Instead of taking 2 minutes to have a book on your Kindle, it takes maybe 5 minutes. I just returned from a month in VA and the first visit with my Kindle. I was prepared to be stoic about the inconvenience and, much to my surprise, found it wasn't at all inconvenient.

In summary, don't let lack of whispernet access convince you not to buy a Kindle. The only thing that might make me think twice is if there is no high-speed internet. I have no idea what your download time would be with dial-up or even with DSL. That would be a question for the Amazon people.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the See A Kindle In Your City forum

This discussion

Participants:  119
Total posts:  170
Initial post:  Jun 6, 2008
Latest post:  Jan 29, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 24 customers

Search Customer Discussions