Customer Discussions > See A Kindle In Your City forum

Is there Kindle coverage outside of the US?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 166 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 5, 2008 1:59:17 PM PDT
Has anyone bought one of these and used them in Europe or Asia?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2008 7:52:00 PM PDT
The Kindle Whispernet is only available in the US. However, you can connect via USB cable to internet connected computer, and synch your purchases with your Kindle account on Amazon. I'll be taking an extended trip shortly; I'm loading up the Kindle before I leave, and will add to it via computer along the way.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2008 12:16:52 PM PDT
Cordelia says:
I am simply wondering if I can read what I have downloaded in my Kindle overseas. I'm not worried about being able to purchase anything new while I'm away.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2008 2:43:17 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 5, 2010 10:00:54 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2008 2:43:39 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 5, 2010 10:00:03 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2008 3:04:23 PM PDT
K. Roussi says:
I actually just called Amazon and asked the same question and the answer is yes.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2008 5:10:15 PM PDT
Is the answer yes to is it dual voltage or the charging via the computer? Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2008 9:06:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 9, 2008 2:01:01 PM PDT
J. Maynard says:
Yes, the Kindle charger will work with the various mains voltages -- any voltages from 100 Vac to 240 Vac, either 50 Hz or 60 Hz power line frequency. You do need an adapter to adapt the U.S.-style two-blade plug on the charger to what the various power points (power outlets) require in various countries. It's only the shape of the plug that needs to be adapted; the Kindle charger, like a laptop's power supply "brick" will work on the various mains frequencies and voltages used in various countries.

As for "charging via the computer" - don't try to use the Kindle's USB cable to charge it. You really do need to use the charger that comes with the Kindle (or a similar charger that provides 5.0 Volts for the Kindle and plugs into 50-60 Hz, 100-240 Vac power mains).

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2008 10:09:48 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 5, 2010 10:00:03 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2008 3:43:19 AM PDT
Cordelia says:
Thanks, James. You just sold another Kindle!

Posted on Apr 24, 2010 11:24:08 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 24, 2010 11:28:29 AM PDT]

Posted on Dec 29, 2010 5:10:32 AM PST
Kindle 3G Wireless Reading Device, Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 3G Works Globally, Graphite, 6" Display with New E Ink Pearl Technology
Can I charge my kindle in Israle with only an adaptor plug? Do I need to convert elec from 230 to 120?

Posted on Dec 29, 2010 11:43:33 AM PST
MaggieMay says:
I gave my brother a Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi before he left for Afghanistan. He loves it and is using it with out any problems. He was on his 9th book when I last heard from him.

Posted on Dec 29, 2010 5:39:57 PM PST
I can without problem download books on my Kindle in Belgium, Europe.

Posted on Dec 30, 2010 12:33:33 AM PST
PMPH says:
Just got a new 3G/Wifi, live in Beijing and no problem downloading (Dec, 2010)

Posted on Dec 30, 2010 11:19:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 30, 2010 11:20:57 AM PST
I use my USA purchased & registered K2 over in UK without issue. I usually carry the usb cord to charge from my laptop but sometimes take the power cord and use with an adaptor (voltage changer not needed). I can also browse internet and buy/download books with no issue. I do have the international K2i though, rather than the US only version. (This is not an issue with K3, I beleive) Some magazine downloads or eMail to Kindle incurr a small fee, I think, but I haven't done that and never paid any fees. . .

Hope that helps??

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2010 7:14:09 PM PST
I took mine to Germany, Switzerland, France, and Austria. I downloaded the books and materials I wanted before I left. To my surprise, I was able to connect to the Internet and read my emails (and return them) via AOL. No fees to pay to the hotel for my access!

Posted on Dec 30, 2010 9:24:58 PM PST
kw says:
I have the android kindle app and it works great in bangkok, thailand via wifi. I have many friends who use the kindle here as well.

Posted on Dec 31, 2010 9:42:43 AM PST
Kylie Rixon says:
I, and about 6 of my friends, have Kindles working perfectly in Australia - including the 3G and Wi-Fi.

Posted on Dec 31, 2010 10:14:53 AM PST
WL says:
kindle dx in Poland. Works like a charm with 3G. It was registered to my U.S. address (credit card); no VAT, no extra fees when I order from Amazon Kindle store. No restrictions, quotas or any issues with 3G and content delivery. Charger works fine. You will need power adapter plug outside U.S. Battery life is excellent.

Posted on Jan 1, 2011 1:52:20 AM PST
simona b says:
You can use a Kindle and download via wireless PERFECTLY in Italy, France, Switzerland, GB (I tried). I bought my Kindle from Amazon US, and I charge it via USB or with an adapter plug that you can actually find in many shops in Italy.
I download books in less than a minute, the only problem is that in Europe they charge $ 2,30 for each download!!!

Posted on Jan 1, 2011 2:03:28 AM PST
Chris Ranga says:
I bought my Kiindle in the US and use it in Austalia and Asia and have no problems at all downloading books and the charger works with an adapter just fine.

Posted on Jan 1, 2011 5:52:44 AM PST
Reymos says:
I bought my white kindle 3G in the US last summer and Im travelling now in the UK. It is working. I purchased thru Amazon.com and browse for free ebooks from Amazon.com and Amazo.co.uk. What you can do is download the free kindle application for PC and you can also synchronise your ebook list in both devices. It means that you can download the ebooks thru your computer/laptop first and then manage it thru your amazon account where you send the ebook file to your kindle unit. You can also transfer ebooks from the computer to kindle using the normal function: drag or copy files. Please note that your can share ebooks with devices registered on the same amazon account. For freebies (esp the classical stories) can be shared by emails or just share the links.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2011 5:56:00 AM PST
Reymos says:
This is not true! The kindle whispernet is available every where as long you have an internet connection. You can even download a free kindle application for PC/Mac which allows you to synchronize your ebook collection from any registered devices - from laptop/computer to your mobile gadgets.

Posted on Jan 2, 2011 1:47:44 AM PST
alby says:
Live in South Africa. Bought my kindle on amazon.com in August and got delivered in 2 days. Books are delivered wireless in minutes. Only problem some of latest ebooks not available to purchase in Africa.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the See A Kindle In Your City forum

This discussion

Participants:  140
Total posts:  166
Initial post:  Jun 5, 2008
Latest post:  Apr 20, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers

Search Customer Discussions