Customer Discussions > See A Kindle In Your City forum

Kindle in Turkey

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 22, 2010 1:15:18 PM PDT
Traveling to Turkey - will the adapter work?

Posted on Sep 1, 2010 3:46:18 PM PDT
Just put the regular cord in the Kindle and shove the European adapter plug on the end. You really do not need the special cord and plug sold by amazon.

Yes, it will work.

Posted on Oct 5, 2010 3:05:39 PM PDT
Sukru Tikves says:
It's basically a USB port, thus you do not need the adapter for the kindle, it would work with any good generic USB adapter, or laptop (but charging might take longer of course).

Posted on Oct 6, 2010 4:59:02 PM PDT
I'm going to use Kindle in Turkey. Is there any problem for downloading?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2010 4:32:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 7, 2010 4:33:50 AM PDT
lwd says:
Nikki -

The title of your discussion caught me off guard. With so many other discussion groups talking about various disasters that happened to their Kindles, I actually thought for a moment that some sadist stuffed your Kindle into a Turkey. (This close to Thanksgiving, it struck me as dark humor.)

In answer to your actual question, I've had no problems charging my Kindle in any country with the necessary adapters. I have, however, had problems downloading both new purchases and "stored" books. Just to be on the safe side, you might want to "activate" all the books you already have for easy access. If you have a K1, put your books on a SD memory card. (That's what I did with my K1 before my husband sat on it, killing it - I still haven't completely forgiven him.)

My new K2 can hold several hundred books, so far it's kept me reading on my longest trips.

Leslie

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2010 9:03:37 AM PDT
Thanks for your help. I will bring an adapter and assorted lug types with me.

Nikki

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2010 9:29:16 AM PDT
Nope. Both 3G (amazingly) and wi-fi work just fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2010 10:07:33 AM PDT
Pectin says:
Kindle does not work in Turkey! You can transfer files directly from your computer but no whispernet. Have fun in Turkey ( I miss it).

Posted on Oct 11, 2010 4:36:36 AM PDT
Sukru Tikves says:
Wireless transfer depends on the model. For 3G only (1, 2, and DX) models, I heard there are problems. But Wifi is (almost) universal and works everywhere.

Posted on Oct 13, 2010 3:48:53 AM PDT
L. Campbell says:
I live in Istanbul and have a second generation Kindle. It blew up when I plugged it into a wall socket (with an adapter plug.) Got a replacement and use a voltage converter to charge. I download books and summaries via computer, which works fine. Problem is that most of the time I get a message that says ''content not available in your area'' when I try to look for books on the Amazon site, so I have to say that I'm browsing from the US.
Your reply to L. Campbell's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2010 1:11:20 PM PDT
Thanks for your help. I won't need to download books, as this will be a vacation trip and not a long stay. I did intend to bring a voltage converter and plug adapters
with me.
N Taussig

Posted on Oct 13, 2010 3:16:11 PM PDT
M. Robertson says:
If you're using the AC adapter, you'll definitely need a voltage converter or else you'll more than likely fry it. I made that mistake with a blowdryer when I was living in France once. I forgot the voltage adapter and sparks flew

Posted on Oct 13, 2010 4:04:56 PM PDT
Whispernet DOES work in Turkey. I'm here right now. It works...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2011 10:44:15 AM PDT
Nilsu says:
How did you do that? I also reside in Turkey and I have a US billing address and I said I browsed in Turkey yet I keep getting an error saying I'm browsing in a different country from the one I selected. I can't download any books.

Posted on Feb 26, 2012 3:24:35 AM PST
Whispernet does not work for me in Turkey. I live in Cappadocia. I can download through a computer just fine though.

Posted on Jan 20, 2013 9:50:01 AM PST
Ozge Gider says:
if i buy kindle fire hd can i download apps when its in turkey?

Posted on Aug 4, 2013 6:01:15 AM PDT
eenusa says:
I would like to buy a Kindle for my mother, who lives in Turkey. I can set her up with my US credit card to pay for the books, but my concern is whether she will be able to browse for and download books (paid and free) to her Kindle from Turkey (specifically, Izmir).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2013 12:45:09 PM PST
Pk says:
She will be able to buy books (and possibly videos, etc.) but won't be able to download apps (applicable for Fire series)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2013 12:45:41 PM PST
Pk says:
No. Unless you use VPN. There are free/easy programs for that though.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the See A Kindle In Your City forum

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Participants:  15
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  Jul 22, 2010
Latest post:  Nov 13, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions