Customer Discussions > See A Kindle In Your City forum

Will the kindle fire work outside of the US?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 7, 2012 1:37:22 PM PST
eugenia says:
I live in El Salvador and would like to buy one, but I've heard that the app store doesn't work here.

Does this happen with the other kindles? I would like to buy one with ads because I don't mind them and it's cheaper.

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 6:16:48 AM PST
Mike C. says:
Call customer service! If it is all internet driven, it should work..

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 7:27:34 AM PST
Hello, I am from Trinidad and recently purchased a Kindle Fire. I'm not sure about the warrantly issues but the Kindle works fine. The only issue I have encountered is the inability to downlaod certain kindle books. It askes for a US address linked to my CCard (both for free and paid content). Other than that... great.

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 7:27:02 PM PST
I don't have a kindle fire, but a regular old kindle - 3rd generation. I live in the United Arab Emirates with a US amazon account linked with my CC (debit account). I've never had any problems downloading anything here. Thinking about a Kindle Fire in the future :)

Posted on Mar 10, 2012 10:37:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 10, 2012 10:38:19 AM PST
S. Donald says:
I bought a kindle fire in the States, but I live in Canada. You are restricted in apps (severely) and books. Now, to get this sorted you can do the following. The first one is to get a u.s.a address (use a friend's), then get an American credit debit card ( this means opening up an American account). A lot of dancing but it does get you to be able to order apps etc. We are winter Texans so spend a lot of time in the States, so need to be able to access all the things down here. I have taken it into Canada and have bought books and apps while in Canada too, and everything works. This a good product.
Your reply to S. Donald's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on Mar 10, 2012 2:24:39 PM PST
Joanne Morah says:
I have both the Kindle and the Kindle Fire. I love the Kindle. The Kindle fire battery life sucks. You are in the middle of a good book and the battery life is dead. That is the only problem I have with it. I take the old kindle on trips with me. Both have my books on it which I love as well.

Posted on Mar 17, 2012 5:44:02 PM PDT
Well I bought both a Kindle Fire and a Kindle Touch for a trip to Malaysia. Both are able to download books (from Kuala Lumpur). The Touch is nicer in that respect of course because mine is a 3G (still works in KL). But at the hotels I get free Wireless anyway. The Kindle Fire has had no issues downloading books.

My only gripe is that I bought the Kindle Fire to be able to stream my videos while I was in the hotel (I'm a Prime member) and that functionality doesn't seem to work for me over seas. The audio is great on the Kindle Fire though so at least I listen to audiobooks.

The other reason why I brought both on my trip was because I wanted a backlit version for reading on the plane. Nonstop from the US to Asia is a long flight and the lights are off for the bulk of the trip. I don't worry about losing the charge because of plugs on the plane. Granted that is Business Class. But... when I fly to Europe Coach class, there are still plugs.

Overall, I'm happy about owning both for International travel.

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2012 6:33:21 PM PDT
Renie says:
I'm going to Germany and would like to bring the Kindle Fire. Is there an issue with power supply for recharging? The last time I was there they had different looking wall plugs. Also, can enyone tell me how widely available Wi-Fi is in Europe?

Posted on May 14, 2012 4:14:40 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 14, 2012 4:15:25 AM PDT
Tony Talbot says:
I know the Kindle Fire won't work in the UK. I looked into it before I bought one! I believe it's more of a technology - wireless problem than anything else.

Posted on May 14, 2012 2:02:27 PM PDT
A. Dunleavy says:
I am a content Kindle fire User, I live In Ireland, I have no problems downloading books. It is a pity not to be able to buy Movies and to download Apps, but I knew this before purchase, So I cannot complain.
To answer above query "WiFi is easily accessable in Ireland with free access in most shopping centres and Hotels.

Posted on May 14, 2012 3:15:21 PM PDT
Angel54 says:
When I was in Jamaica, mine worked fine.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  11
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Mar 7, 2012
Latest post:  May 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions