Customer Discussions > See A Kindle In Your City forum

Kindle in New Orleans

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 61 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 28, 2012 7:17:53 PM PDT
CCH says:
Any avid readers/Kindle owners in New Orleans, LA?

Posted on Mar 29, 2012 7:50:44 PM PDT
I have just purchased my kindle about a month ago and I love it. I mostly have classics and fairytales on mine. The only problem I had was I purchased the wrong one (regular kindle touch) instead of the 3G one. I don't have wi-fi in my building where I live.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2012 8:09:54 PM PDT
CCH says:
Ava Daniel-Johnson: You might try calling Customer Service and explain you bought the wrong one, they might exchange it for the 3g, though you might have to pay the difference. I have the 3g+Wifi so that I could download books anywhere anytime when not in a Wifi hot spot. I also borrow books from the local Public Library which is also a nice option.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2012 8:11:44 PM PDT
CCH says:
Ava: You also must have WiFi to download books from the Public Library.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 12:33:15 AM PDT
Gift Card says:
Yes, but when you have a kindle, it comes wi-fi accessible, not always 3G. Library should be accessible if they have wi-fi.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 12:35:37 AM PDT
Gift Card says:
I'm close, in Lafayette. Love locals like James Lee Burke and "Wading Home" - stories based here. Any suggestions?

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 8:49:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 31, 2012 8:50:10 AM PDT
CCH says:
Gift Card: I have found several Louisiana Mysteries. I just read Hot Blooded and Cold Blooded by Lisa Jackson, in that order. Both very good LA Mystery Thrillers. Other LA Mysteries I downloaded are Big Easy by Eric Wilder, Veiled Eyes by C.L. Bevill, Whispers of the Bayou by Mindy Starns Clark. I love James Lee Burke too, and read several of his books years ago. Sometimes I just enter Louisiana Mysteries in the Amazon Search box and several come up. I downloaded the 2 Lisa Jackson books from the Public Library in Jefferson Parish. That is one feature I enjoy, because they are FREE to borrow.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 11:30:48 AM PDT
CCH, thanks for the info but I should have clarified that I found out that I did find out on day 2 that I purchased the wrong one and had to return it to get the 3G one. The lady at Amazon.com was very helpful with her suggestions because quite frankly I really don't like hanging out at places that have wifi. I do have to learn the library borrowing thing when I get a minute I haven't really read any louisiana mysteries but I guess I will. I need to get a list of stuff to read when I decide to take a vacation.
As for book borrowing, I need to see if I still have the JP card that I had when they let Orleans parish residents use it or if I can pay for one if I have to. I also had a card for another parish that I paid for a while back.

BTW, are any of you folks going to the concerts this weekend for the final four or jazz fest. BTW, the jazz fest cubes are out. They came out Tuesday.

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 12:43:25 PM PDT
CCH says:
Ava: I have an Orleans Public Library Card also, but found the Jefferson Parish Library had a much wider selection of eBooks for Kindle. So, I got my card at a library in Metairie, no cost for the card, it's FREE. I am able to borrow some Best Sellers and New Books Releases from the Library at no cost. I plan to go to Jazz Fest but not the Final Four Fest. I am currently out of town.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 7:41:53 PM PDT
Oh okay. It's just that there are free concerts this weekend by the river. Don't care about the final four. BTW, the 2012 food list is out for jazz fest.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2012 11:14:31 AM PDT
Sharon228 says:
i am not in new orleans, but i am in guflport.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2012 2:15:10 PM PDT
CCH says:
Hi Sharon, close enough to The Big Easy. Happy Reading!

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 10:07:19 AM PDT
Kate Kulig says:
Hi all, my ebook, Bloody Murder Bloody Murder (Bloody Murder Mysteries) takes place in New Orleans and it's only $2.99. I consider James Lee Burke one of my inspirations.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2012 10:38:59 AM PDT
CCH says:
Thanks Kate, I love James Lee Burke and I will add this one to my Wish List. Have you read Last Car To Elysian Fields by James Lee Burke?
Also, check out Cold Bloodied by Lisa Jackson another very good New Orleans Mystery/Thriller.

Last Car to Elysian Fields (Dave Robicheaux Mysteries)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2012 2:56:34 PM PDT
Kate Kulig says:
CCH, I did read Last Car to Elysian Fields. It was riveting! I'll give Lisa Jackson a try.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2012 7:36:57 PM PDT
CCH says:
Kate: Actually Hot Blooded is the 1st one and Cold Blooded is the 2nd book of the Series. Both are good, I borrowed them from the Library. Also, check out
Darkness on the Edge of Town (Laura Cardinal Series, Book 1) by J. Carson Black.

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 8:11:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 5, 2012 8:12:37 PM PDT
My novel BARONNE STREET is set in New Orleans. The Kindle edition is only $2.99.

When an ex-girlfriend is bludgeoned to death, New Orleans fixer Burleigh Drummond must rely on his Machiavellian skills to solve and avenge her murder.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2012 8:54:47 PM PDT
CCH says:
I read Baronne Street last month, have it in my Kindle Library, and it's a good book. I enjoyed reading it!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2012 9:49:07 PM PDT
CCH says:
Kate: I recently purchased Bloody Murder, have it in my Kindle Library. Plan to read it next. I enjoy reading books that take place in New Orleans or surrounding Parishes, specifically Mystery/Thriller, Suspense, and Legal Thrillers.

Posted on Apr 7, 2012 8:37:07 AM PDT
CCH says:
Black mCover® Leather Folio Cover Case with built-in inner pocket for Amazon Kindle Touch (Built-in Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Touchscreen)
by mCover®

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2012 10:05:10 AM PDT
Kent thank you, I will find the book and buy it. CCH, no offense but I have been set off buy the price of the case, so I made my own with a real book and instructions on the internet.

Posted on Apr 7, 2012 9:02:48 PM PDT
CCH says:
Ava: That sounds pretty neat. Where did you find the instructions? How did it turn out?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2012 12:34:53 PM PDT
CCH: Thank you very much. It's good to hear from readers.

Kent

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2012 12:35:48 PM PDT
Ava Daniel-Johnson: Please let me what you think. Kent Westmoreland

Posted on Apr 9, 2012 3:30:44 PM PDT
CCH says:
Kent: Can you recommend any other Mystery/Thriller/Suspense books that you have written that take place in New Orleans or ebooks by others? Thank you!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the See A Kindle In Your City forum

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Participants:  19
Total posts:  61
Initial post:  Mar 28, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 7, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions