Customer Discussions > Self-help forum

Letting men know they're a potential RAPIST

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 85 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 7, 2011 7:28:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 7, 2011 7:29:06 PM PDT
thames says:
There's a fairly common situation these days of being a male and jogging or walking in the park and women pretending to get on the cell phone when they see you approaching on the sidewalk or path (by approach I don't mean going up to them to talk, I mean heading towards them as you jog. To be clear).
OK, maybe we're potential muggers too in addition to rapists. Or a serial killer like the guy in the Lifetime movie you watched.
Thanks!
I've seen it time and again and it is retarded, rude and cowardly behavior. And talked to other guys about it.
And guess what? You should probably get over yourself.
(And no I'm not scary looking or paranoid and Yes sometimes a woman may in fact be getting on her phone to actually call or answer it.)

Posted on Sep 8, 2011 2:44:12 PM PDT
Maliengus says:
Pretty sad that women feel so unsafe in this world. It is what it is, 2 cents. Don't take it so personally. Maybe an I-pod would help take the focus off what every women in your path is doing or not doing. At any rate, get over it and enjoy your run.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2011 2:58:26 PM PDT
Actually I think 2 cents makes a good point, especially since, it seems to me, the whole thing is at least partialy due to scare mongering by a group of self-appointed "scientists" who call themselves "evolutionary psychologists".

According to these characters, taking a leaf out of Richard Dawkins' book, all men are potentially rapists because we are all merely live troop (DNA) carriers, intent on passing on our genes at every opportunity.

If we are to believe the EB's, it seems that although the vast majority of men manage to "keep it in our pants" - except when the activity is genuinely consensual - such behaviour is actually UNNATURAL! And the only "real men" are the ones who are constantly on the alert to jump some unsuspecting female in order to pass on their genes.

Perhaps not surprisingly, this rubbish has been seized upon by certain parties as supposedly incontravertible evidence that men, even the apparently civilized ones, are in fact just as profoundly animalistic and potentially dangerous as they always suspected.

2 cents may be exaggerating slightly, but I have certainly noticed, over the last 10-20 years, that even in broad daylight, and on streets where there is a steady flow of human traffic, a significant proportion of single women tend to move to the opposite side of the pavement from any man or group of men coming in the opposite direction.

In my opinion this is a tragic state of affairs, both for the women who feel such behaviour is necessay, and for society as a whole. And not as easily dismissed as Maliengus would have us believe.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2011 4:54:10 PM PDT
Maliengus says:
I didn't dismiss it. I address the tragic state of affairs in my first sentence, not my last.

Posted on Sep 10, 2011 11:14:53 PM PDT
jhp says:
Why does this bother you? Maybe she's just making a call, you know? Or maybe, if you're staring long enough to figure her call is fake, you're spooking her. In fact, what she does with her cell phone probably has nothing to do with you. Whatever it is, it really isn't your business, anyway. Ignore it and keep jogging.

Posted on Sep 12, 2011 7:33:48 AM PDT
Maliengus

I see what you mean. I just don't understand how you can recognise a problem and then tell 2 cents to "get over it".

The two things *seemed* inconsistent, to me. So I decided to be really conventional and let "recency" prevail over "primacy"

;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2011 11:07:29 AM PDT
You really have a bee in your bonnet over this -- first Health forum, now here?

Posted on Sep 12, 2011 11:08:44 AM PDT
The Gift of Fear and Other Survival Signals that Protect Us From Violence

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2011 1:32:38 PM PDT
Maliengus says:
I see what you mean too, A.J. Perhaps a better choice of words would have been "don't take it personally."

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2011 2:11:07 PM PDT
ColdShot says:
fear rules and controls people

where do you suppose that fear originated?

I call it psychological warfare...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2011 7:41:43 AM PDT
Maliengus

'Perhaps a better choice of words would have been "don't take it personally".'

That reads well, IMHO ;-)

Posted on Sep 14, 2011 6:24:30 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 5, 2011 5:02:25 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2011 4:58:44 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 10, 2012 6:27:40 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2011 4:59:57 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 10, 2012 6:27:40 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2011 5:08:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 20, 2011 3:40:03 PM PDT
thames says:
It is psycho-logical warefare. Feminists have the concept of "the gaze". The male gaze that the patriarchal pigs -men- inflict on women in public. Ex. A woman enters an office and men look at her. This is "violent" and "oppressive" when the males of the group gaze upon her in a way that indicates they think she is beautiful because it "objectifies" her and she is subjected to feeling less than a whole person.
These days when men are in public many women feel it is OK to display facial gestures and behaviors that indicates they view him as a potential criminal or "pig" rapist, mugger, etc. The male is made to become self conscious of his status as a "pig" rapist, potentially. He is assumed to be possibly less than human.
The tables are turned, if you will. It is a reversal.

Posted on Sep 19, 2011 6:42:21 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 5, 2011 5:02:26 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2011 7:07:35 PM PDT
thames says:
What part of Mexico do you live in, "B"?

Posted on Sep 19, 2011 9:30:23 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 5, 2011 5:02:26 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2011 10:07:48 PM PDT
thames says:
Well without one bit of sarcasm I'll say that La Paz sounds like a real swell place. It ain't the same in Juarez but it isn't like when you stroll down the Avenue des Champs-Elysees, either.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2011 11:04:11 PM PDT
lolwut

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2011 12:59:26 AM PDT
thames says:
The Panthor, you're in Colorado. Me too. Howdy.

Posted on Sep 20, 2011 8:52:37 AM PDT
H. Williams says:
As a woman who's nearly been raped, and been raped before I will say that maybe you need to get over yourself and accept that if women feel this threatened in society there is a problem. Seems as if you're trying to blame them, for something they have no control oever.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2011 10:46:47 AM PDT
Howdy back!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2011 11:54:20 AM PDT
B. House wrote:

"The United States American way is so convoluted with grief, arrogance and depressed mental view. No wonder your government goes to war so often."

Are seriously suggesting that EVERY American thinks and acts the same way? Or that EVERY Mexican thinks the same way and understands members of the opposite sex to the same degree?

Seems pretty unlikely to me. But hell, what do I know? I suffer from the illusion that my fellow humans are as individual as myself, even when they are choosing to congregate in so-called like-minded groups.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2011 12:38:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 20, 2011 12:41:56 PM PDT
Scarlett says:
B. House - I'm amazed you have any men left in Mexico smiling with a true heart because apparently most of them are in our prisons:

Sharp growth in illegal immigration and increased enforcement of immigration laws have dramatically altered the ethnic composition of offenders sentenced in federal courts. In 2010, Latinos accounted for 50% of all sentenced federal offenders, more than triple their share of the total U.S. adult population.

We're drowning in 20 million of your fence jumpers looking for handouts and you have the nerve to tell us how great it is there and how we're selfish? How many millions of Americans do you have coming to Mexico and dropping anchor babies so they can stay in your country? I'm thinking none. My daughter teaches high school and all of the Mexican kids get free lunches. Their parents can't be bothered to throw a taco in a brown bag. They'd rather let the Americans feed them with the taxes that the illegals don't have to pay. I could go on for hours but don't you dare disrespect my country and it's people.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Self-help forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  85
Initial post:  Sep 7, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions