Customer Discussions > Self-help forum

Do you think that women are most times negatively portrayed in the media?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 16, 2011 5:53:41 PM PST
Carla Ladd says:
Just looking at popular music videos and "reality" television shows that portray women as cat-fighting, gold-digging, promiscuous loud mouths, I would say "yes".

Posted on Feb 16, 2011 7:49:29 PM PST
Moco says:
Not necessarily "negatively", just absolutely portrayed. As in, women in the media tend to have very limited roles leading to the belief that all women ought to fall into those roles which is pretty limiting for those who don't. Yeah there's a lot of negative stereotyping of women going on on TV, but that's standard for men too and we shouldn't forget them.

I don't mind if there are bad or indecent women on TV. That's realistic because there are indecent women in real life too. What's unrealistic is when most females on TV are indecent, or perfect moms, or princesses, or whatever. It's weird too because diversity is generally more entertaining, at least in my opinion.

Posted on Feb 17, 2011 7:50:00 PM PST
Kathy Kirk says:
I think that women are portrayed in an unrealistic way which can lead to negative perceptions and beliefs about women.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2011 2:04:47 PM PST
Aria says:
It is certain

Posted on Feb 24, 2011 8:22:44 AM PST
Squirrel Red says:
EVERYTHING is unrealistically portrayed on TV. Everything. I don't think women in general
are worse than anything else, though.

Posted on Feb 28, 2011 7:34:52 PM PST
Helen says:
we shouldn't believe anything that comes from the mainstream media. They are trying to get people to judge a certain way. We ARE WONDERFUL AND POWERFUL

Posted on Mar 3, 2011 5:02:54 PM PST
J. Popernack says:
Either they are portrayed negatively or have negative actions towards them. It seems just as common for a woman to be a "selfish piece of meat" as well as being raped or beat. It really bothers me.

Posted on Mar 5, 2011 10:48:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 5, 2011 10:49:39 AM PST
Zmom says:
This ad alone ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGmRKSds9OY ) made me never want to buy a Kindle...look at how the man is made to look like a doofus while the chicka is "all that" with her expensive sun glasses! Bet the sun glasses have more to do with her ability to read in sunlight than anything. The man (not a stud either) an sitting there in a white T shirt and no sunglasses and the "babe" in a bathing suit and sunglasses. Want to ask that question again, "Do you think that women are most times negatively portrayed in the media?" It is men TODAY who are portrayed negatively. Watch TV ads closely and you will start to see it!

Posted on Mar 5, 2011 1:00:15 PM PST
D. S. Huff says:
Look at the advertisments on TV. It looks as though all decissions being made that are correct and or wise, are being made by females. Normally it will show a man who's looking un-kept (hair, cloths & etc) and is doing something that's off ballance while the female who's wise, proper and correct in all ways is what's being portrayed.

I put a double ss in decisions because any female reading it would jump to the conclusion that this was written by a guy based on that alone. Did you?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2011 1:12:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 6, 2011 5:58:13 PM PST
D. S. Huff says:
Hey ZMOM.... amen to that! I felt the very same way when I saw that advertisment too. Another one is Granny with the mortgage company who says to the guy something like "now that's the only thing smart you will do today" when he decides to call the 1-800 number for a mortgage loan. Now don't quote me on this word for word, but the TV ad leaves you with that feeling about the guy. In other words, he doesn't normally do anything correct.

This mortgage company may only advertise in Illinois and Missouri, so you may not have seen it. They WON'T be getting any of my business now.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2011 5:41:28 PM PDT
MEddy says:
Yes, but I haven't had commercial television signal in 14 years so don't get pummeled by it daily. When I do see them on t.v. [like in a restaurant] they seem to be represented as much smarter & stronger than in real life; also, obviously always physically attractive.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 6:53:00 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 6:57:20 AM PST
Chilly Down says:
I have thought for years and years that women are portrayed poorly in the media.

I remember sharing with people close to me - and I'm not saying this to be funny - that if I were a visiting alien from outer space and looked to the media, most especially talk shows, I would view these human creatures called "women" as the most pathetic, problem-ridden species one could find on planet earth.

I'd love to see a new kind of talk show made that deals primarily (say 80~90%) with MALE problems - men and their problems and hang-ups, physically, psychologically, emotionally, intellectually, etc. Not that I keep up with TV, but why ISN'T there such a show on television focusing mainly on men and THEIR problems? Or is there such a show (and I'm just not aware of it)? If anything, it would certainly be a *novel* idea, and you can bet the ratings for this kind of show would be high, high, high. I also believe that such a show should be hosted by a dignified and reasonably compassionate woman.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 12:16:50 PM PST
Zmom says:
Have you ever watched "The Bachelor" or "The Bachelorette", your desire to see men and their problems would be satisfied if you did!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 7:40:52 PM PST
Chilly Down says:
No, I haven't. I've seen those shows advertised, but aren't they equally split, so to speak, with respect to both genders? Those are the shows in which one person (either a man or a woman) is looking for a mate amongst a small group of opposite-sex individuals, correct?

What I'm talking about with the post I left above (to which you responded) would be a show - probably some sort of talk show - *primarily* and thoroughly dedicated to exposing and dealing with men and the problems THEY face, the hang-ups & insecurities THEY have, etc., with help or counseling, of course, being made available for, and offered to, every guest on the show. I'd love to see it hosted by a dignified woman, as well.

So no, I'm not really talking about shows such as the two you mentioned, but thanks for your input.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 7:51:45 PM PST
Zmom says:
It is pretty hard to get real men to spill their guts. Men must need the trust factor to talk, in most cases, about things personal to them.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:22:22 PM PST
Astrocat says:
It's the saint/whore dichotomy. Women have, since Biblical times, been expected to be either one or the other. Normal, ordinary, everyday, intelligent, loving women are just not acceptable in the Christian world. They go against the grain because they present nothing to be overly praised or overly condemned.

And guess who writes most of the stuff on TV? Hmmmm?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Self-help forum (421 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Why is the God of the Bible so angry? Also - Adam and Eve... come on? 8584 20 hours ago
Adults sleep better with a pacifier...any comments? 12 3 days ago
Is there a Key to Happiness? 1324 11 days ago
My Philosophy of Life 2 Mar 18, 2015
Can we really predict future based on past ? 1 Mar 18, 2015
Information that's not widely available 1 Mar 18, 2015
If Bible-god hates Gays so much, why does he 452 Mar 18, 2015
What is the best new Self Helf book you have read? 195 Mar 14, 2015
Why is it so difficult attempting to live one's dream? 7 Oct 17, 2014
Source of Happiness - Your own heart OR External People (lifeconcepts.info) 0 Oct 16, 2014
Heart and Mind - How to bring them together 0 Oct 16, 2014
Are there any self help books not containing religion? 97 Oct 16, 2014

This discussion

Discussion in:  Self-help forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Feb 16, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions