Customer Discussions > Self-help forum

What's the most meaningful life lesson you ever learned?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 220 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 7, 2010 1:00:09 PM PDT
I did a radio show about my latest book last week and we took calls from listeners who wanted to share their life lessons with us. As always, the best insights came from average Joes and Janes who learned from experience--rather than some television star who wants to share the challenges of hiring a butler. So what's your story? What life lesson really sticks with you?

Michael Rosenbaum
Author
Your Name Here Guide to Life: The book you'd have written, if only you had the time.

Posted on Jun 7, 2010 2:34:03 PM PDT
Never let a repairman work on your property while you're not looking. If you must bring it in and leave it, wait for it there whenever possible. Never make an oral contract for any transaction. Don't leave a pet at the vet without waiting for it. Always take it home at the end of the day. Avoid any dog groomer that wants to pull ticks out. They will fall out on their own. Rental housing wastes money. Renting to own or morgaging is cheaper.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2010 3:05:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 15, 2010 11:27:31 AM PDT
Y>Y says:
Never judge any woman (or man!) until you have walked two moons in her moccasins.

Posted on Jun 8, 2010 6:40:14 AM PDT
rmlboston says:
I translate that questions into: What one thing would I want my children to learn from me? It would be that you have full control and responsibility for your life - experience, health, emotions, accomplishments, joy, etc. It gives great empowerment and self-confidence when you know that from the beginning. Everything else falls into place if you know this one thing.

Posted on Jun 8, 2010 11:37:07 AM PDT
When I was about 17, one of my mentors commented to me: you don't need your parents permission to do what you want with your Life. That was a huge Wow.

I think we are all "conditioned" to conform to expectations, from family, schooling, social structures etc. It was in this moment, when I intuitively understood something about this. We only feel we need that approval, permission or support... because it is a myth we have bought into. if we release that.. so much guilt, ill-will, resentment and animosity.. just goes away.

That lesson and: whatever anyone puts out there.. ( any emtion, reaction, anger, slight/ slander/put down etc).. it is ALWAYS ALWAYS ... their own stuff. the recipient.. is just in their path ( or on their "stage").. however.. what you choose to do with it ( react, owning or believing it, getting sucked into it).. that's YOURs... ::)))

Dancing in Your Bubble: ancient teaching, modern healing
Dancing In Your Bubble: Ancient Teaching, Modern Healing
http://yaguarcita.zoogma.com
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Dancing-In-Your-Bubble/72469044045 http://yaguarcita.zoogma.com/spiritualwordoftheweek
www.horsewisevt.com

Posted on Jun 8, 2010 11:37:42 AM PDT
Dancing In Your Bubble

Posted on Jun 9, 2010 7:29:47 AM PDT
Letter Size says:
Sand people always travel in single file to hide thier numbers.

Posted on Jun 9, 2010 8:05:36 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 21, 2011 9:21:27 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2010 10:07:52 AM PDT
ME robert- is this comment in response to my entry? if so- I never said I blamed my parents.. or lacked courage.. I have no idea where you got that.. other than your own stuff....

:)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2010 12:34:38 PM PDT
R. Malkin,

Thanks for your response. My kids and I talk a lot about choices and it's one of my favorite chapters because I made the mistake big-time as I was growing up. . We make a choice to stay or go, do or not. We can change our minds, make another choice if we want. But if we decide someone else's choice controls our lives, we cede all our freedom and power to them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2010 12:40:37 PM PDT
M.E. Roberts,

One of the big lessons I learned was that telling people what THEY should do is seldom effective. I might read them wrong and recommend the wrong thing, which only makes any situation worse. I don't know whether Teri has courage or blames parents, but if a lesson got learned about dealing with life more effectively, that's great.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2010 12:43:14 PM PDT
Realist,

This is so deep and wise I'm not sure I get it. But it reminds me that it's way too easy to jump to conclusions based on limited data.

Posted on Jun 9, 2010 1:41:02 PM PDT
N. Perz says:
Here are my rules:

1. Don't ask a question unless you're prepared to hear the answer;
2. If you don't want to be contradicted, then don't say stupid things;
3. Never argue with stupid people;
4. If you don't ask for what you want, then you have no right to complain when you don't get it;
5. If you haven't tried yourself, then you don't need help;
6. Never let someone tell you something can't be done if they, themselves, have never tried.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2010 3:40:12 PM PDT
I just think it's really funny.. what and how someone can and will infer... when nothing to that affect was ever stated....

:)

Dancing in Your Bubble: ancient teaching, modern healing
Dancing In Your Bubble: Ancient Teaching, Modern Healing
http://yaguarcita.zoogma.com
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Dancing-In-Your-Bubble/72469044045

www.horsewisevt.com

http://yaguarcita.zoogma.com/spiritualwordoftheweek/

http://www.horsewisevt.com/Farm2market/

Posted on Jun 9, 2010 4:22:49 PM PDT
The powerful magic I felt when I first saw our newborn son ---

Posted on Jun 9, 2010 6:52:31 PM PDT
Jane says:
I learned that if you are a complete person that truly loves themselves and being alive, you can be dirt poor and all alone and yet be perfectly happy and content.

Posted on Jun 9, 2010 8:07:05 PM PDT
The greatest lesson I ever learned was that if you take small steps day by day you can achieve miraculous feats. Many people are shortsighted and either give up too soon or go to hard in the beginning and burn out. But if you draw long, mid and short term plans and stick to them amazing things can happen.

Posted by Bakari Akil II, Ph.D., author of Pop Psychology: The psychology of pop culture and everyday life!
Super You! 101 Ways to Maximize your Potential!
25 Tips for the Budding Ph.D.

Posted on Jun 10, 2010 1:09:15 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2010 2:05:44 PM PDT
Trolling with the homies...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2010 3:21:38 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 21, 2011 9:21:34 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2010 3:30:19 PM PDT
Bakari Akil,

My dad said that if you picked up a calf every day, you'd eventually be strong enough to lift a bull. I was never interested enough to test out the theory, but I think it applies to most things in life.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2010 3:31:36 PM PDT
Jane,

Were you ever dirt poor and all alone and perfectly happy and content at the same time?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2010 3:34:22 PM PDT
N. Perz,

Good advice all around. I particularly like 5 and 6.

MR

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2010 4:36:56 PM PDT
Jane says:
Yes sir

Posted on Jun 10, 2010 5:07:58 PM PDT
Alpha says:
Never marry a drug addict.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Self-help forum (415 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Does material success gives you happiness or is happiness different from material success? 6 27 days ago
Are there any self help books not containing religion? 96 Mar 12, 2014
Is there a Key to Happiness? 1303 Mar 11, 2014
Why is the God of the Bible so angry? Also - Adam and Eve... come on? 8559 Feb 17, 2014
i made a easy 20% gain in the stock market today with solid proof 0 Jan 25, 2014
Is It Really True There is Solution For Everything? 4 Jan 21, 2014
Attractive? "How can I know that what was taught to me was helpful or harmful?" 0 Jan 17, 2014
Why is it so difficult attempting to live one's dream? 4 Dec 29, 2013
I have worked successfully with crack/cocaine users for many years feel free to ask me any question 38 Oct 29, 2013
Home remedy for skin tags? 13 Oct 14, 2013
What inspires you to keep going when too much life gets in the way? 3 Sep 9, 2013
how to make ourselves happy 5 Aug 28, 2013
ARRAY(0xd9de3c14)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Self-help forum
Participants:  131
Total posts:  220
Initial post:  Jun 7, 2010
Latest post:  Nov 7, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 27 customers

Search Customer Discussions