Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Storm Fire TV Stick Grocery Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Fire HD 6 Kindle Voyage The Walking Dead\ Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day
Customer Discussions > Self-help forum

Why Christians Do Not Ignore The Old Testament

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 18, 2008 10:57:28 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 17, 2012 6:30:47 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2008 9:15:19 AM PDT
MeowMix says:
Probably depends on the kind of Christian your'e talking about. It's been my experience that the OT is read and used as a basis for sermons quite regularly in evangelical churches, but much less often in what used to be called "mainline" denominations. Go to a Presbyterian, Lutheran, Methodist, or Congregational church and you're much more likely to hear a sermon from the NT than the OT.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2008 10:37:32 AM PDT
LG says:
I belong to one of the mainline denominations you listed and there is an old Testament reading at each and every service. You are correct in your assumption that the sermon will most likely be based on one of the New Testament readings, however, the Old Testament will not be ignored and should not be ignored.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2008 12:57:47 PM PDT
FashionSense says:
Jesus came not to eliminate the Old Testament but to fulfill it. No one up to that point had kept the laws of the Old Testament and Jesus came to be the only one who would.

The Old Testament has books known as the minor prophets that give prophesies of things yet to come.

Posted on Jun 10, 2012 12:49:07 PM PDT
There is no New Testament without the Old Testament. One should never preach the Law (OT) without closing with the Gospel (NT). To do so would distort God's Word.

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 12:48:18 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 12, 2012 12:48:55 AM PDT]

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 8:17:38 AM PDT
A. Harris says:
Because Jesus did not do away with the Law of Moses but fulfilled it with shedding of his blood.

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 10:26:38 AM PDT
The Bible is really cool in that it's a collection of writings from people who lived thousands of years ago and took the time to write down their thoughts and feelings about life - and their writing connects us to them - lets us see that people dealt with the same feelings that we deal with today - there's joy in those pages, and hope, and great love - there're stories of self-sacrifice and selflessness and courage - and there're also stories of obsession and greed and jealousy. And it's interesting, to me, to see how people dealt with all that stuff - as a society, and as individuals.

But there's a distinction made in the Bible between the "spirit" and the "letter." It says somewhere that "the letter killeth" - and I think when people interpret the Bible literally word-for-word they are killing the spirt, the essence, of its meaning. The Bible is chock full of symbolism. Interpreted literally, a lot of it just doesn't make any sense - it's full of contradictions and things that are just loopy. Interpreted literally, Revelations is a complete nightmare, and the Adam and Eve story has any sane person scratching her head, trying to make heads and tails of talking serpents and a rib turned into a woman and a Creator sending his creation to hell for doing what he made it capable of doing.

And sometimes it's really tempting to just throw the whole thing in the trash and be done with it - there is a lot of insanity displayed in that book - narrow-mindedness, rigidity, misogyny, tribal warfare, chaos and mayhem and rape and murder and hypocrisy - and I can understand without a doubt why people might hate it. But when I read that book what I see as a history major is the evolution and progress of society and mankind - gradually moving away from a god of war - a vengeful, angry, jealous anthropomorphic god - to God as, literally, Love. When I read the first chapter of Genesis I see the beauty of creation - I don't get hung up on the whole seven days and seven nights thing - I don't think that's to be interpreted literally - what I see is a creation made in God's image and likeness - beautiful and good and perfect. When I read the story of Adam and Eve, it's obvious to me that I'm reading an allegory. When I read the songs that David wrote I know I'm reading the words of a man who struggled with the same things I've struggled with in my life - I see his flaws and I see his mistakes and his victories, and I see him growing and maturing and I take comfort in that. Jesus' healings are evidence, for me, of the power of our thoughts, the power of love and good overcoming the challenges we all face - and they give me hope. Revelations is totally symbolic - in my mind, at least.

I don't ignore the Old Testament, but I think it's important to keep what we read there in context with the culture and times in which it was written - and to view the Bible as a work that's not static, but dynamic - that shows us a progression from beginning to end.

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 9:39:48 PM PDT
TI254 says:
Throughout the Bible, in numerous verses Jesus clearly declares that the only way one is going to heaven is by following the laws of the Old Testament, even when asked how to go to heaven he asks the person if they have followed the laws brought down by Moses. So it is clear to anyone who reads the Bible that Jesus was a Prophet of God, and he even says so himself in the Bible, yet people can say what they want about Jesus.

But the Bible is there for all to read. And not once did Jesus call himself a son of God, but the son of Man, and he even said that he has no power of himself but through God. Someone even called him good Master, and he corrected them asking them why he called him good, that there is none good but one, and that is God. He also clearly teaches that there is one God. And he even prays the way Muslims and some Jewish sects do, by kneeling down and placing one's face on the ground, this way of praying is mentioned throughout the Old Testament and in the New Testament it shows that Jesus prayed this way himself.

So clearly the Christianity you might see in churches is not the same Christianity Jesus was following. However Jesus said not to condemn others, and I am not, I am just pointing out how the New Testament is a fulfillment of the Old Testament, NOT a replacement, and how you should rely on the word, rather than judging by the dogma that others have created in substitute for the REAL teachings of Jesus. Look up "Dr. Zakir Naik Colombo" on youtube and you will find a video in which verses are mentioned indicating the different passages which speak of the final messenger of God, Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him). Also look up "Muhammad in hebrew" on youtube, and you will see conclusive proof that Muhammad is the Prophet of God according to the Old Testament. Also check out miraclesofthequran dot com for proof that there is no deity worthy of worship but Allah, and Prophet Muhammad is his messenger.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Self-help forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Mar 18, 2008
Latest post:  Jun 25, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions