Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Storm Fire TV Stick Grocery Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Fire HD Kids Edition Kindle Voyage The Walking Dead\ Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day
Customer Discussions > Self-help forum

What the Bible says about bigotry...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 28, 2012 6:58:40 PM PDT
"So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them." - Gen 1: 27 (note that it doesn't say that God created just SOME of us, but God created ALL of us in God's image and likeness) and "And God saw EVERY thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good." - Gen 1: 31 (If you are dissing God's creation, you are dissing God.)

"Judge not, that ye be not judged...Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?" - Matthew 7

"Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God. He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love...There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love." - I John 4

"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." - Exodus 20

"And one of the scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, and perceiving that he had answered them well, asked him, Which is the first commandment of all? And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord: And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment. And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these." - Mark 12

"By their fruits ye shall know them." - Matthew 7

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law." - Galatians 5

"Yea and verily I saith unto you, bigotry stinketh." - Karen 1: 1

Posted on May 28, 2012 6:59:40 PM PDT
But wait! There's more!

I Corinthians 13:
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not love, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not love, I am nothing.

3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not love, it profiteth me nothing.

4 Love suffereth long, and is kind; love envieth not; love vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,

5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;

6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;

7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

8 Love never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.

10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

13 And now abideth faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Posted on May 29, 2012 4:33:59 PM PDT
Jared Smith says:
Let me save you some time, god doesn't exist.

Posted on May 29, 2012 6:43:59 PM PDT
S. A. Young says:
Ouch Jared... pretty clear and succinct with that answer. I often find myself thinking the same way. I wonder if God is that great scientist in heaven and looked down at his experiment called mankind and saw all the killing, the hate, the misery that the powerful inflicts on the weak and say to himself... That's not how I really hoped this experiment would go and decided to try again somewhere on the far side of the universe, hoping to get it right.
If there was a God, surely all of the madness that we have on this planet; would be easily dealt with for a being that was all powerful. Surely.
I have no problem with those that believe. Guess this is just one of those issues that I cannot commit one way or another too.

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2012 10:58:13 AM PDT
This might tell you something about how my pointy little head works: I once thought that God was maybe leading me to atheism. :)

As for whether or not God exists? Well, I think that depends on how you define "God." I do not believe that God is an anthropomorphic old dude living in the clouds somewhere, tossing down thunderbolts and zapping his "image and likeness" to eternal damnation for being what he created them to be. That just makes no sense, whatsoever, to me.

So I guess I'm an atheist when it comes to that kind of a god.

But I was raised in a way of life that instilled in me a belief that God is, literally, Love - as it says in I John 4. Not a supernatural anthropomorphic being - but supremely natural - another name for the power of good. And I have seen enough evidence and proof for God, Love, in my own life, that, at this point, it would be really disingenuous and dishonest for me to try to say I don't believe in God. I've experienced and witnessed incredible healings of illness - many of them diagnosed by medical professionals - that can't be explained by medical science (melanoma, blood test that indicated rheumatoid arthritis, complications in childbirth, instantaneous healing of mastoiditus, etc.) and I see evidence for my God in the kindness, honesty, beauty, and intelligence I see expressed all around me.

And this is probably going to come up, so I'll just address it right now: No, I don't think of God as some kind of Santa Claus, who's here to fix my problems. When I pray to God, I'm not begging or pleading with some anthropomorphic being to have mercy on me and mine. I think it'd be ridiculous to plead with Love to be Love, or to plead with Truth to be Truth - God is unchanging Good, and there's no reason for me to beg her to be more than she is - when I pray what I'm doing is trying to align my own thoughts with Love. It's my responsibility to get into harmony with God - not God's responsibility to somehow do something different than she's already doing.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Self-help forum
Participants:  3
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  May 28, 2012
Latest post:  May 30, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions