Customer Discussions > Self-help forum

Why is the God of the Bible so angry? Also - Adam and Eve... come on?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 5226-5250 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Apr 24, 2012 5:18:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 24, 2012 5:26:19 PM PDT
ZombieDiva says:
William, I did not speak unkindly to you, so chill out. It doesn't matter who you directed the questions to, as this is a public forum for discussion. Anyone can reply to any posts here. I'm sorry that you are overly sensitive. Do you hear voices? Does God speak directly to you? Or, do you look for signs that you interpret as answers?

Your questions ARE very skewed, whether you want to admit it or not. The questions are leading, since they are posited in such a way that doesn't actually relate to how Buddhism works, therefore, you are trying to find answers that only fit in with your own interpretation concerning how Buddhism works, get it? And no, God does not exist, only your belief. You are free to believe, that is your choice. But please do not insist that others have to believe as well. Life just doesn't work that way. God, Jesus, and all of the rest of the Bible are just a fairy tale.

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 5:25:34 PM PDT
ZombieDiva says:
Oh yeah, and another thing. I wasn't saying that YOU need to see a psychiatrist because you believe in God, I was saying that IF YOU ARE HEARING VOICES, then you need to seek help. Just because you misunderstood me, doesn't equate to me being mean to you or talking down to you. Own your misinterpretation, do not try to point a finger at me just because you got a little butthurt, that's not MY problem.

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 5:30:28 PM PDT
ZombieDiva says:
I know Simone probably won't care, but I thought she looked nice in her pic in the article in the newspaper. I do agree that they could've picked a better shot of the old precinct building. I'm still confused as to what the building's true purpose is, since she keeps changing it. I would think if she would stick to one thing she might be more successful in getting donations for her cause. Still, I wish her church good luck.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 7:13:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 24, 2012 7:14:17 PM PDT
Sargon says:
Simone, I could be one of the Romans in your Passion Play. ha ha. The one with the spear at the crucifixion? Pontius Pilate? Yeah, something like that.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 1:52:00 AM PDT
ZD

Saved me a lot of work there. You've more or less answered all the questions.

TC

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 2:42:28 AM PDT
Hi William B.

I promise that I will not proselytize, that is not what Buddhism is about.

You do seem to be fixated (determined would be kinder) on having something outside of yourself to worship. I'm not sure if this is because you were in a place of mental suffering and needed to hold on to something at the time.

You have now found God and you seem to be happy, which has got to be good. Nobody can or want to take that away from you & knowing the ins and outs of Buddhism wont help you, since you clearly are in no need of any help from any other source.

Nevertheless, I will try and answer some questions:

1. Buddhism advices you to look inside by meditating and stilling the mental chatter that can drive us all to distraction. It prescribes to the idea that we all possess a piece of divinity and when that is connected to, there is a realization that all sentient beings are one. The result is a feeling of 'belonging' to everything sentient.

When this is achieved, duality (the sense of separation i.e 'them and us', 'you and me', even 'God and me') drops away and there is a feeling of total unity and a realization that there is no 'other' to worship. We are all one.
2. Unhappiness, put simply, is the dynamic between where you are now and where you want to be. All desires creates unhappiness. Some create small concerns, others can drive us to suicide.

The purpose of meditation, which is the mainstay of Buddhism, is to ultimately rid ourselves of desire and become contented to, just be as we are. To rest in the moment and not to mourn the past or fear the future.

3. Reality sets them. Since WE ARE ALREADY PERFECT, there is no need for an outside examiner to confer more on us or to judge us. When the mental noise ceases, we come to the realization of this perfection. You suffer when you mourn the past or fear the future. When you reside in the moment, the 'now', there is no problem, there is only 'bliss'.
4. It's an existential reality and is available to all.
5. Buddha died over 2,500 years ago. How can he be contacted (unless you have a wiji board). When a Buddhist bows in front of the Buddha, he bows to the Buddha nature or divinity inside him/herself. It's not a case of worshiping a statue of the Buddha. Its merely a symbolic of recognizing our own divine nature; something God seems to be dead against as we are all considered 'sinners' in his eyes and need saving - by Him.

William, I'm sure that reading the above will make not a jot of difference to what you believe &, why should it if you have a working philosophy/ faith already.

TC

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 5:42:02 AM PDT
ZombieDiva says:
His, (as well as many others) confusion lies in the false notion that Buddhists worship the Buddha as a deity. Buddha is not worshipped at all, and if he were alive wouldn't want it. He was just a man, and in fact used to be a prince, who walked away from everything in order to learn what true suffering was. And then he learned how to overcome the suffering. Buddhism isn't really a "religion" at all, but a philosophy meant to teach others. Buddha never claimed himself a God, and neither has anyone else. He doesn't speak to anyone, and followers of his teaching do not ask him anything. They are guided to look within and ask themselves.

I find it interesting that people who are firmly entrenched within the Christian faith often misunderstand Buddhism, and try to apply parallels to their own religion. They compare the monks to priests, think that followers are worshipping Buddha's image, and that Buddha is God. That's ALL wrong. But that's why I said that William's questions were skewed, because that is the approach he was taking when he asked those questions. He was looking at it from that perspective, trying to compare one to the other.

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 7:52:56 AM PDT
Nat says:
Any of you know who Jim Jeffries is?

Jim Jeffries is not pastor Jeffries. but speaking of Jeffries. Pastor Jeffries was beaten with an ugly stick and still worships that jerk that beat him. Anyways, So he supports Gov Perry. (holy crap there is no excuse for that) who is 1 of 3 candidates that "god told them to run for president" See he is truly messing with our heads. Smearing Romney just because he belongs to a cult when that is the least of concerns. Jeffries is in a cult too. There is no difference if there is more people in one than the other. It doesn't negate that cult just because it has a huge deranged sycophants in it.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 8:01:09 AM PDT
William B. says:
I deeply appreciate the balanced honesty of your reply -

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 8:08:01 AM PDT
Sargon says:
The latest on NDE's. You'll die for it...

http://digg.com/newsbar/topnews/near_death_explained

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 10:34:48 AM PDT
Hi William.

My pleasure. It will give you the lowdown on what is involved in Buddhism & that it is not a 'belief system', but a way of living moment to moment in the best way possible and as happy as possible without harming others.

As I said before, you have your faith which sustains you. We all need something in this tough life & Buddhism gives me great contentment and peace of mind.

The fact that I'm probably damned & will be back peddling like mad one day may be on the cards. (make sure you're there to back me up!!).

Take care.

TC

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 1:08:40 PM PDT
ZombieDiva says:
Cards are pagan, so be careful there, TC!

I'm not worried about anyone else judging me, dead is dead. As I'm oft to say, Heaven and Hell are right here on Earth!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 1:30:07 PM PDT
ZD

Never thought of that. Damn!!

Neither am i worried ZD, it's much too late for me anyway. Ho hum.

TC

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 2:52:33 PM PDT
Sargon says:
Things can happen so quickly in this life. I still remember a fellow high school student, who I did not know, who was attending a football game and ate a Snickers bar. Perhaps he did not know Snickers had peanuts, or perhaps he didnt know he had that serious an allergy, but ignorance is no excuse when it comes time to meet your dark-robed Reaper. The indifference of the cause, the inane circumstances, and where was God or did he care? Those were my thoughts then. Because he died.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 3:13:20 PM PDT
God was the high school student. God was the high school. God was everyone attending the game and the stadium, and God was the experience.

The experience is only horrible if you truly believe there is but one chance at life - and if you truly believe that, life is already more horrible than THAT experience, so you're friend was spared more horror!

Unless of course you believe in a course in miracles, where this world is entirely a mistake not of God, but if God is all, how could that be?

Stuff to make the mind twist, so I just follow my heart.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 3:18:54 PM PDT
Lady Simone says:
Sargon none if us know when is our appointed time to go meet our maker. It boils down to choice. We can choose to eat peanuts or dandy knowing that we are seriously allergic or not eat it. There are a lot of people who smoke too myth knowing that it can cut their life, they make a choice for instant gratification over discipline.

Sometimes I am so overworked I wish that God would call me home. The wired is heavy to me, full if poverty, avarice, greed, nobody cares, it's a rat race, a hell hole really; but I choose to make the best of it and live my life to the fullest. There is so much suffering in the world. There is much work in the vineyard but the laborers are few, who wants to serve for little reward?our work here is not done, else we would have checked out. Choices, choices, choices that's what it boils down to.

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 3:26:34 PM PDT
ZombieDiva says:
And that's exactly WHY I choose NOT to waste my time in service to a make believe God, and spend more of my time doing things that reward me RIGHT NOW.

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 3:29:32 PM PDT
Sargon says:
Thanks for your input. Another anecdote that sticks in my mind is this. My sister and I were driving on the freeway in Dallas and on a particularly high overpass in the mix master entanglement of high-rise concrete she said a woman committed suicide "right about there" as we sped on. She said she just stopped the car, got out , put down her purse, and climbed over and leaped without hesitation. And I always wondered what could make someone desperate enough to do that. Life is full of possibilities. You have to fight for it sometimes but it's there.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 3:43:46 PM PDT
Posted on Apr 25, 2012 3:26:34 PM PDT
ZombieDiva says:
"And that's exactly WHY I choose NOT to waste my time in service to a make believe God, and spend more of my time doing things that reward me RIGHT NOW."

If you mean living fully aware in the present and making it the best it can be - this is a good thing, but your use of the word reward put an odd kink in things. Why do you need to reward you right now? Reward you for what? Just be and choose joy. You don't have to be rewarded because you are already worthy.

There is also a difference between pleasure - and joy. Many people chase instant pleasure and become addicted and are not only not happy or joyous, but very sad.

Crack might make you feel very good RIGHT NOW, but that's just pleasure, that's not joy. Same thing with sex, food, whatever your addiction is. Joy you can keep doing and it won't harm you or others - pleasure chasing is usually about some sort of escapism and you can have temporary pleasure while feeling absolutely miserable.

It is impossible to feel joy and be absolutely miserable. That's when you know you're pleasure and joy and heart and being are aligned with the true you.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 3:53:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 25, 2012 3:54:44 PM PDT
Sargon says:
Well, I'm enjoying a Guinness right now--a decadent reward for doing absolutely nothing. It is a zen experience, I have to say. The only qualifier or adjunct to this frivolous folly is that this is my last one.

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 5:50:19 PM PDT
Lady Simone says:
I'm relaxing with a rum punch. There's a short documentary on about a Hollywood actress, Delores Hart, she co starred with Elvis and is now a nun. She gave her life to the Lord.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 6:11:14 PM PDT
Sargon, a wonderful post; "life IS full of possibilities".
It means so much more, coming from you; since you have
struggled with real pain. thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 6:19:21 PM PDT
And I sir, am enjoying a ice cold beer myself. I don't need to attach the word 'reward' to it. I'm just enjoying it. I guess I could say it's a reward but reward make's me think of Pavlov's dogs and punishment/reward where as just doing something I choose for the sake of the joy is not a reward for some other action. I mean I guess I can give myself a gold star but do I need to? I already AM the gold star! Excuse me... blurple star or blurpinkle.

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 6:30:27 PM PDT
Oh my god this thread has de-generated to us being a bunch of alcoholic sinners!!!!!! PRAISE THE LORD WE NEED TO BE SAVED:

Live Exorcism Conducted over the Breakthrough Prayer Line:

http://blackout.com/mp3/Pranks/Blackout%20-%20Prank%20-%20The%20Sins%20of%20Kily%20O'Neil.mp3

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 11:31:23 PM PDT
Last one Sargon?? What?? - Ever???

TC
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Self-help forum
Participants:  400
Total posts:  8571
Initial post:  Feb 6, 2008
Latest post:  Mar 24, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 23 customers

Search Customer Discussions