Customer Discussions > Self-help forum

I'm a lesbian but I beleive in God what should I do?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 7176-7200 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Feb 20, 2012 3:11:00 AM PST
CMM7MMC says:
I just want to say that I feel so blessed that I'm at an age where I don't have the sexual needs and drives to be worried about this any more. I can just relate to individuals without sex getting in the way.

As to the previous discussion about Old versus New Testament on the matter: I think the New Testament sums it up.
No one is perfect and no one is without sin. There are just so many things that are so much more harmful and worse than homosexuality - like false witnessing, rape(hetero or homo), incest, murder, etc. Only GOD is perfect enough NOT to be a hypocrite. NOT one of us is able to understand GOD's ultimate plan, which includes why some have an un-chosen inborn and enate preference for same gender sex. NO one would choose persecution.

I would ask V in SC to provide a New Testament chapter and verse where homosexuality is explicitly condemned.

See my chapter and verse below to the contrary:

John 08:07: So when they continued asking him(Jesus), he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her(adulteress).

Mathew 07:
001: Judge not, that ye be not judged.
002: For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
003: And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
004: Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
005: Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 6:41:49 AM PST
Keep believing! It is not clear to me what the intent of your question is. I do not follow the logic of it. The way you it is asked it seems that you have asked a question for which there is no answer. In looking at the responses from others most have divided themselves into two camps; the right or wrong of being a lesbian or what if anything, is the nature of God. It is not clear to me how these side issues raised the storm that they did. Perhaps reframing you question might help. Think about asking it this way: "As a lesbian, will God accept my faith?"

Some would say yes while others would say no. You are the final judge of what the answer is The criteria: is your answer consistant with your values, does your answer "feel" right, and does your answer hurt anyone? This is only between you and God.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 6:50:40 AM PST
V in SC is mentally blocked.........aka closed mind.....terminally stuck...

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 2:19:46 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 24, 2012 7:59:03 AM PST]

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 3:57:11 PM PST
Kevin says:
I must say, this is obviously a complicated issue, but this is what I believe:

God made us for his glory. Our purpose, therefore, is to glorify God.

This "glorifying" is a complicated term, but essentially it's what an awesome painting/work of art does for the artist. Nobody who looks at the painting will give the painting credit for its own awesomeness, but they'll give the credit to the artist. In this way, the painting is "glorifying" the artist.

Therefore, the painting's purpose is simply to be what the author intended it to be - a painting. The artist doesn't expect the painting to drive him around, or get him to work on time, that's not the painting's job.

All we have to do is understand what kind of a painting God has made us to be, and be it. God made us to be living, breathing, creative beings, and so just by living, we give glory to God in a small way. In fact, the ancient Jews acknowledged this. The Hebrew word for God is Yahweh, which is the sound of an inhale (yah-) and an exhale (-weh). Pretty neat, huh?

In response to your question, Genesis tells us, "So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them." God created men and women, with the intent that they "be fruitful and multiply" (if ya know what I mean). When women love women, or men love men, and they seek out physical relationships with each other, yes, this is love, but is this glorifying God? My belief is that with the introduction of sin into the world, came a corruption of our sexual nature. This is obvious - there are rapists and pedophiles. Who is to say that what a pedophile feels toward a child isn't love? But is it love that glorifies God, or is it love that is born of selfishness?

I believe that physical relationships between any other than a man and a woman is either the result of selfishness, or it simply isn't the painting that God intended us to be.

I can't relate to you, I'm sorry, but I can understand.
I hope you figure this out. Praying for you :]

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 4:44:41 PM PST
ambjg says:
Well..the old Testament says don't waste sperm and men shouldn't have sexual relations, but it NEVER mentions anything at all about women loving each other. If you don't believe me, get a really good, accurate translation and read it. The word "homosexual" is not used it in anywhere.

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 5:56:05 PM PST
Do any of you people have a thought of your own? You address this issue as if there is something wrong with being the way God made you. Listen to yourselves!! I've found that people who bible thump are so unsure of themselves and their thought processes they are like small children.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 6:00:16 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 24, 2012 7:58:24 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 11:23:53 PM PST
iris says:
you and i may be able to think clear and feel within, however, not everyone is you and i.
i believe there are those that hide under religion and use religion as a crutch and i also believe that religion to some is a tool to help get them through the day.
if you can't bring your own thoughts what is the point ?it's ok to use references but you got to bring a little bit of you to table too.
the point is God gave some a different set of brains
call it ignorant, call it dumb, call it a crutch or call it "it is what it is"....
as long as we know what we are dealing with than it's easier to just deal
say-it believe-it live-it
say-itwear.com

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012 8:27:54 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 24, 2012 7:57:37 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2012 12:03:04 AM PST
iris says:
authorpholloway, nice to hear from you-thanks for sharing your words.
i on the other hand have a different philosophy about your belief on brain potential-this is what i had written on my blog a couple of months ago:

each of us are special in our own way... each of us possesses skills that make us special in our own way... each of us is a special someone...

Posted on December 5, 20112

not everyone is fortunate enough to have the means, the know how's, the brain parts, the skills to learn, to accomplish and to work in the same way or field. there is no one that is better than someone else. each skill is hard in its own way, each skill has stress in its own way, each skill has sacrifices in its own way.

not everyone can be a doctor, not everyone can be a mechanic, not everyone can be a teacher, not everyone can be a big rig cross country driver, not everyone can be engineer, not everyone can be waitress.

each of us are special in our own way. each of us possesses skills that make us special in our own way. different skills offer different recognition in all societies, however, I think it is extremely important to be grounded, appreciative and to have an understanding that each of us is a special someone and no one is better or less than anyone else.

there are so many individuals out there making a difference for us every day that so many of us take for granted and don't think about...each of them is a special someone...

not all of us have a mom or dad who packs us a school lunch with our favorite sandwich , our favorite fruit , our favorite drink and our favorite dessert all neatly placed in our lunch box or container so it stays fresh till lunch time. whether it is by choice (if you can afford to buy lunch) or not (if the state provides you with one) our hard working school cafeteria chefs take pride in what they do to help make a difference for others. they try to prepare the best school lunch they can by offering taste, presentation and nutritional value under the strict guidelines and budgets they have to work with everyday. each of them is a special someone...thank you

did you ever think about who keeps the school clean when you drop your candy wrapper, spit out your gum , when you through something away and miss the trash can or spill something? our custodial staffs work so hard under sometimes the most unpleasant conditions keeping things clean to look nice but more importantly free of germs that can affect all of us. each of them is a special someone...thank you

each of us in our own special way bring individual parts that together create our whole that we all live and relish in. each of us are special in our own way. each of us possesses skills that make us special in our own way. each of us is a special someone...

say-it believe-it live-it

i agree that there are some that use religion to hide behind-the righteous no gooder's , however, i want to believe that religion does help others that have not been taught or know or have had experiences that have affected them in a way that a structure like religion, if that's the only place they know to turn to, does help them in a way they are looking for help.

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 1:21:46 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 22, 2012 5:54:15 AM PST]

Posted on Apr 28, 2012 6:48:01 AM PDT
HelenM says:
Seth Speaks: The Eternal Validity of the Soul We are all a part of All That Is, he/she did not fax the Bible or write it. Read "Seth Speaks" and you will find your answer. God is not a religion, and we are all made in his/her image. Part of what we are here to do is learn and question our beliefs, because, as Seth says, you create your own reality with your beliefs. Judging someone says more about the judger than the judgee. Learn to not care what other people think, and "follow the day and reach for the sky". Seth
writings were to help "pull a lot of heads out of the sand." It changed my life, and I would recommend it to anyone, regardless of your beliefs.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2012 9:14:53 AM PDT
That is the same thing the serpent told eve do you really believe that God do not want her and adam to not have knowledge just like God, simply by eating the fruit. Disobedience to God led to their demise satan whispering in eve's hear, just like satan is using you. God says obedience is better than sacrifice, whatever her issues are God can definitely clean her up, so that she may live pleasing in HIS eyesight. Bible reads God does not like when others cause His little ones to sin, His children. BEWARE!

Posted on May 5, 2012 12:13:04 PM PDT
Nat says:
This is complete BS. HOMOSEXUALITY is epigenetic. It is in chromosomes. There are literally many thousands of other species who have homosexual populations. It is beneficial to evolution and if it weren't for that barbabic ancient illiterate book people hold so dear there would be reason what so ever to discriminate. If GOD hated gays, it makes no sense as to why he made us and so many other species homosexuals.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 1:39:41 PM PDT
LaT sssssss.....lol. it is 2012 and you still believe in talking snakes?! Really!? The Bible is just a book(s) nothing more. All the rest is just voo-doo or doo-doo, which ever you prefer.

Posted on May 5, 2012 10:31:15 PM PDT
jpl says:
Stop believing in your god.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 4:42:05 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 6, 2012 5:08:16 AM PDT
LovingBuddha says:
This is specifically addressed to LOLWUT's response / post from 2/20/12:

The most I can say about your answer is that it is a very gentle misunderstanding and explanation of what you believe to be true. Maybe that's out of your selfishness and ignorance. Comparing rape and pedophilia to genuine same-sex love is offensive, insulting and shows a complete and utter lack of understanding of what real love is. I'm frustrated because you sound like Rick Santorum who doesn't even believe that a hetero married couple should have the intimacy of making love UNLESS it's intent is to procreate. And, since you can't use birth control, you'll have sex in your marriage about 10 times and one of them won't be on your wedding night! Now, I admit, God wants couples to preserve the sancitity of the marriage bed but He never meant to eliminate intimacy. From my reading and studying of the Bible, God (through Paul) thought that it's better for everyone to not have sex but, if you can't live without it, then it's completely okay. Celibacy is reserved for ONLY those who can follow it through.

God also demands that we follow the laws of the authorities that exist because He puts them in their positions of authority. Same-sex marriage is legal in 7 states and others allow civil unions. That means we have to live by those laws, accept them and RESPECT them.

Also, there is a vast difference between the old covenant and the new covenant; the Old Testament and the New Testament. In the Old Testament times, homosexuality was rampant. It was a natural part of daily living. A huge problem, the only problem, was that powerful adult men (who always hung out in the temples) were taking advantage of young "templeboys" (the actual meaning of the word used). The concern wasn't about consenting adult same-sex relationships but about the exploitation of innocent children. Jesus never said ANYTHING to denounce this truth. The major theme in the new convenant is love which is amply described by Jesus and in 1 Cor. 13. There should be no need to rehash that concept.

I found your last statement, which I presume you intended to mean that you couldn't understand and you would be praying for her, to be incredibly condescending and judgmental...and that is a blatant sin. There's no argument about that. I'm also left to question why you are even a part of this discussion. Do you roam the internet blogs to espouse your own versions of reality and impose them on others? Or, do you have some fascination with same-sex relationships that you want to remain hidden.

And, by the way, when you say "Yahweh," the "Yah" is not said during an inhalation. And, all of the names given to God are descriptions of His nature and not one of His names describes a bigoted, unloving, homophobe who completely lacks understanding. If you really understood the Lord and you really understood the nature of homosexuality, I think you would have a completely diferent attitude. God does create us in His image and no-one knows what that image is except as we see Him through His Son who only taught us how to love...not judge, not be a bigot or a homophobe. Afterall, Jesus IS love. If we are all created in His image and many are born as homosexuals, then God/Jesus/the Spirit innately know and understand homosexuality.

One last thing...if people are not created as homosexuals, then why is it that that scientists have found the same percentage of the animal kingdom being homosexual as in people. They have also opined, based on uncontroverted scientific evidence, that there are hormonal changes in the women who bear homosexual children. It was NOT a choice the child made. The scientists have also found that the brains of hereosexuals and homosexuals differ in structure. How can that be a choice? I think you know the answer to that.

I pray for all people who lack a true understanding of homosexuality and God. There have been innumerable murders and brutality against homosexuals and it all comes from fear, ignorance, homophobia and total, unequivocal selfishness.

One final thought...the role of a true Christian is preach the Gospel not judge those who hear. If you believe someone is in sin, then you offer them your understanding but NEVER impose it. God/Jesus NEVER shoved the truth into people's mouths. If people want to know, you are only responsible for giving your opinion, showing the people scriptures, ENCOURAGING THEM TO STUDY IT OUT FOR THEMSELVES and then you MUST respect the person's ultimate decisions and beliefs. Anything else is judgment, something that is a very clearly a sin. True Christians are NOT God. They may always try to be godly, but they are NOT God.

For those who struggle and try to hold the dialectic of being gay/lesbian and being a Christian, please don't take on the judgment of those who profess to be Christians. Usually these (maybe well-intentioned) people are Pharisees. Remember, Jesus called the Pharisees and the Teachers of the Law "hyporcites," "a brood of vipers," "white washed tombs," and, of course, sinners (just like all of us...no-one is different. I pray that you will have the courage, strength and conviction to come to your own understanding, not let other people define you or judge you and live the life you were given in love and in joy.

Posted on May 6, 2012 12:35:48 PM PDT
T says:
Keep believing and don't open yourself up to criticism on the internet like this. Find a church that accepts you (they do exist) and do you. You don't need acceptance from the world. It's between you and God and you need to keep it that way. People of this world will tear you to shreds if you let them.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 6:41:06 PM PDT
LovingBuddha says:
I have to respectfully disagree with T's statement that "People of this world will tear you to shreds if you let them." Yes, there will always be people who will mistreat you for the wrong reasons or maybe not for any reason at all. But, when you find your "home," you will find the acceptance that we all need and deserve. Don't give up.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 10:10:39 PM PDT
Wingrider54 says:
What a great post! Couldn't have said it better.....Nancy from MN

Posted on May 11, 2012 6:47:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 11, 2012 6:52:46 AM PDT
Itchyfun says:
God in the Bible, Adam & Eve, Gays & Lesbians... when it comes down to it, what we think about ourselves is more important than what others think about us. What God thinks about us is... He loves us...

You believe in God, so keep reading your Bible, pray, and know the Holy Spirit will help, protect, and guide you along the Way.

For those passionate about this long discussion who don't believe in God... If there is a God, if the Bible really is his Word, I think it might be "One good book to read this year." Don't let the world tell you what they think about God or The Bible. Decide for yourself.

Free Mobile Bibles for iDevices, Android, and PC/Mac from Laridian and Olivetree, and CadreBible and E-SWORD can be downloaded.

Online Bibles at www.biblegateway.com in multiple languages and translations and bible.cc where you can read side by side translations and commentaries for greater understanding. Search what The Bible says about the words and questions you have, for example search, "strength", and do the same search inside a Bible commentary or dictionary to get advice on a topic or word. Also try typing a verse search like, "Psalm 119:17-19".

3 Suggestions for Where to Start?
+ If you want to know who God is, read the Psalms which are poems, songs and conversations about and with God.
+ If you want to know how God is real to People, read Genesis to Exodus which tells about the lives of individuals who got to know God.
+ If you want to know why the Bible is called the Greatest Book of All-Time, get to know Jesus and read one or all of the four Gospels. Gospel means the "Good News." All four Gospels are eyewitness accounts of the Life of Jesus, his Words and works.

THE EYEWITNESSES
The Bible has four eyewitness accounts recorded by Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, followers who hid in fear after Jesus was killed on the cross. All of them lived changed lives after Jesus rose from the dead and wrote down the truth of what they saw and heard, holding onto their beliefs until they were killed or died in the faith. Each wrote so others would know the certainty of these true life changing events:

What do YOU like?
A lively witness... Read Matthew a rich tax collector and follower. Tells how Jesus is the Saviour and explains God's Kingdom.

Action packed... Read Mark a young man related to close followers of Jesus including Peter and Barnabas. This is the earliest account written, a simple straightforward witness.

Complete details... Read Luke a medical doctor who became a follower of Jesus. A carefully investigated account of the Life of Jesus.

Poetic and deep... Read John the follower, "whom Jesus loved." An account for the mind and spirit, to know and believe in Jesus.

3 Suggestions on How to Read the Bible?
+ Before you read, try a simple honest prayer like, "God I'm looking for you, show me your love as I read the Bible." (You can Thank God after you finish each reading)
+ Get a "Study Bible" or "Life-Application Bible" so you can understand more by reading the included explanatory notes.
+ If you already have a Bible and want more insights, get an Illustrated Bible Handbook or Commentary with pictures, maps and charts like:
Zondervan Handbook to the Bible by David and Pat Alexander
Complete Bible Handbook: An Illustrated Companion by John Bowker
DK Illustrated Family Bible by Peter Dennis

How to buy a Bible?
Just go to any Christian bookstore and tell them you are looking for a "Study Bible" or "Life-Application Bible." Easy to read and accurate translations include the New International Version (NIV), the New American Standard Bible (NASB), Contemporary English Version (CEV) and New Living Translation (NLT) and of course the King James Version (KJV).

Try to find a favorite passage to compare the different Bible translations and select the one which speaks most clearly to you. Try Psalm 23 - The Lord is My Shepherd, or Isaiah 40:30-32... "Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall: But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint." (KJV)

Sorry for the long post. If you read this far, I hope you'll go ahead and read (or re-read) The Bible to see why it's the most published and read book in human history.

I wrote a book called, Words for the Road, to help people write their LifeStory (by sharing favorite sayings, images, songs, life moments) and ultimately to encourage people to read The Bible and find God. If you want to have a look at my book - Great, if not skip it and just read The Bible it's the best book on Amazon - but don't take my word for it!

Words for the Road

Description: EVERYONE HAS A STORY TO TELL. Words for the Road© helps you write the most important parts in only 3-4 pages using templates so you can share your LifeStory with others. The first interactive guidebook to Life that brings the words, pictures and songs you love; times you remember; and the turning points that define YOU to life, so you can be the Heroine or Hero of YOUR LIFE STORY. On your next date, lunch break, father to son, sister to sister, stranger to stranger, heart to heart talk: Use Words for the Road to reach out to someone and let them reach YOU.

WE ALL ARE BOOKS WANTING TO BE READ, KNOWN, UNDERSTOOD, AND LOVED.

Share your Lifestory and WORDS FOR THE ROAD with someone you love today. By the end of this book you'll have told your story in a notepad, an e-document in an iDevice, Android, computer, on facebook, or a Tweet in the Cloud... share your words for the road and let someone know you care.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 10:10:37 PM PDT
To A. Gilbert:

"Do you really believe you'd go to hell for loving? Even if it was another woman?"

It is not love, it is lust.

Homosexuality is not from God. Also, you are not God, so you are not calling the shots.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 10:12:07 PM PDT
N. Murphy.

"-Ex-member of the largest cult, Christianity (which, BTW, is the single most destructive force on the planet) "

You were never a Christian to begin with. If you trample on God's gift, I would not want to be you. Ever.

Posted on May 12, 2012 9:45:00 AM PDT
We are all children of God. He loves all of us. Pray every day to Him and put it in His hands.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Self-help forum (421 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Is there a Key to Happiness? 1319 Oct 18, 2014
Why is it so difficult attempting to live one's dream? 7 Oct 17, 2014
What is the best new Self Helf book you have read? 194 Oct 17, 2014
Can we really predict future based on past ? 0 Oct 16, 2014
Source of Happiness - Your own heart OR External People (lifeconcepts.info) 0 Oct 16, 2014
Heart and Mind - How to bring them together 0 Oct 16, 2014
Are there any self help books not containing religion? 97 Oct 16, 2014
Why is the God of the Bible so angry? Also - Adam and Eve... come on? 8566 Oct 14, 2014
i made a easy 20% gain in the stock market today with solid proof 1 Oct 12, 2014
My Philosophy of Life 1 Oct 12, 2014
Does material success gives you happiness or is happiness different from material success? 9 Sep 26, 2014
David Deida: Feminine & Masculine Sexiness, 3rd Stage Relationships, Purpose & Heart - 1999 0 Aug 20, 2014

This discussion

Discussion in:  Self-help forum
Participants:  1305
Total posts:  7326
Initial post:  Aug 6, 2007
Latest post:  Jul 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 54 customers

Search Customer Discussions