Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Self-help forum

I'm a lesbian but I beleive in God what should I do?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 7301-7325 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 8:33:39 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 10, 2012 8:35:21 AM PDT
Roger M says:
Cwhayne, please read the bible. Start on page one and keep reading. I do not share your view regarding the god's "abundance of mercy, grace and forgiveness". The fictional book is stuffed with the opposite of what I would call good. I really think you would agree with me if you read the whole bible, not just cherry-picking what you prefer to read, and discard all the appalling drools that fill the bible to the rim.
This picture of "washing our sins with his blood" is a disgusting metaphor. Not to mention the idea that it's admirable to "sacrifice" anybody.
And for an omnipotent god? No big deal at all! On the contrary, if one could die and get back to life just like that, then it REALLY is no sacrifice at all.
But go right away, sit in a corner and keep praying. That way you have NO impact on anybody's lives. And you'll feel all good and fuzzy inside, talking to yourself.
But don't forget to read the whole bible. And ask yourself if the deity you find there is as "good" as you first thought.

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 6:39:13 AM PDT
Relax...God loves everyone, if you believe Christians. If not, God hates EVERYONE who isn't a disciple of Islam, so most of us are going to hell anyways. Love God, live your life, find a church that doesn't give a damn who you have sex with, and go forth and do well.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012 6:45:37 AM PDT
and if you believe Eastern mysticism, God loves everyone and is within everything, from Matter to Anti-Matter, and your sexual preference is immaterial.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012 6:54:45 AM PDT
D2 says:
Wow! You have the right perspective. May God continue to bless you and strengthen you through any temptations you may encounter. As a recovered heterosexual womanizer I have told God that I will not engage in that behaviour again. The only arms I want to be in are those of my wife, no matter what.
Thank you for your post and I hope it energizes others regardless of their sexual orientation.

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 4:44:12 PM PDT
bachdog says:
If someone asked me for help or guidance with a issue that was troubling to that person, of course I wouldn't "know" the best and most perfect solution or action to take to solve the issue.

I have to say there are at least a few things I would not do.

I would not tell them to read the Bible from page 1 to the end. When they finished reading through the contradictions, myths, and so-called miracles, they would likely still have the same problem. Talk about a waste of time, except for those with a scholarly interest in how the Bible was assembled and how politics changed the actual words within it.

Read the Bible. Then read Dr. Seuss. One will make you fell like life is hopeless and afterlife is best and distracts you from your currentlife (and achieved by obeying religious leaders), and the other will at least make you smile and realize that you're taking things too seriously.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2012 6:39:04 PM PDT
LS King says:
God loves all of us, but he does not love our sins. He destroyed a whole city because of the gay activities that were being performed openly. He wants all of us to read the Bible and have a relationship with Him. We all have sinned and being Gay is like stealing, lying, killing and other sins. We have a choice. The Bible is still the #1 book read in the US. It is also the most stolen book. LOL. We need to read it and see that what was said in the Bible and given to us by God works in every part of life today. Start in the New Testament. There were 400 years between the new and old testaments and what was predicted in the Old Testament came true in the New. Don't listen to the world. PRAY! He will give you answers. You are right Steve without Christ, you will go to Hell!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2012 6:58:44 PM PDT
T. Fortune says:
Allow me to help you out with the most likely interpretation of Sodom:

Lot was a ger, a sojourner, a resident alien in Sodom. He had certain civic obligations in return for the protection which the city offered him, and there are indications that he was unpopular in the city. He did not have a right to open his house to foreigners, and the citizens of Sodom were merely demanding to see the credentials of these two foreigners, that is, to *"know" whence they came and their intentions. Lot had to refuse, however, because he himself was under the obligations of the Jewish code of hospitality to his guests. He offered the Sodomites his daughters as the first appeasement that came to his mind, not as a heterosexual substitute for a homosexual demand. The cities were then destroyed for not recognizing the obligations of hospitality, and the whole story is a moral allegory on the dire effects of inhospitality.
*"know" - yadha - is used in the sexual sense only 10 times in the Old Testament and ALL of these cases are heterosexual. Yadha is used in the sense of "get acquainted with" 924 times. Thus the odds against the homosexual usage of this term are nearly 1000-to-1.

There now- doesn't that actually make more sense?

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 6:59:13 PM PDT
Valentina says:
You are strong for believing in God no matter how much mere human beings try to bring you down with their own interpretations of the bible and what God wants. Humans don't know what God wants. The bible can be interpreted many ways, it was translated into our modern language remember? So back when it was translated homosexuality wasn't acceptable because the only way to have children was through a male/female union and people needed kids! The family saw male children as a work hand to keep the farm going and female children as a potential to marry into a richer family or higher up in society. So what if they made a mistake when they translated it because their own biases got in the way. None of these people were alive when it happened so how can they act like they know what it was supposed to say? Don't worry, no one knows what God wants. Keep believing in him and he will reward your faith. Dont listen to people, talk to God, pray to him and he will find a way to communicate with you. Whenever I am having a hard time accepting myself or a decision I ask him for guidance and if you pay attention he always leaves some kind of sign in your path to guide you, to let you know he is listening.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012 10:02:25 AM PDT
My preference is to read the Oxford English Bible, complete with Apocrypha and Concordances. It's also important to remember the Gnostics and their fate at the hands of Christians. I believe Jesus was a Gnostic. He wasn't "in it for the money", which is something the early church frowned upon. The King James Version of the Bible lost something (quite a lot, really) in the translation. If you are Christian, choose to believe in the God who loves and understands, rather than the God of Fire and Brimstone. Women really get the short end of the stick in the KJV. God can be any gender, or none, but definitely is an entity beyond our comprehension. If it is true that we were "made in God's image", take the concept one step further: we all contain the essence of God. If you cannot find God within, you cannot seek God without. When you love God, you can only accept God's love returning in the natural order of things. This..from a Buddhist! : )

Posted on Jul 14, 2012 10:29:29 AM PDT
Roger M says:
You, the original poster and every other person who have replied to this thread, are real. As in physical persons who can be observed, tested and verified for reality.
God, Jesus and the bible are all fiction. The bible is a printed, physical book, or exist in any other form we can observe and "test", but the content is fiction. Old, old stories of gore, gruesome actions by the god along with some acceptable parts. But the book itself is nothing magical. The fantastic stories are just that; fictional fantasy stories. The god and the Jesus figures people are talking about, praying to and admire, are all imaginary friends, existing in the believers mind only.

Believers, ask yourself; Why does god hate amputees? All these claims that the god does miracles, that he's omnipotent, and nothing to show for it! A pretty weak, impotent, sadistic or ignorant god if you ask me. Or non-existent to be more specific.Holy Bible: King James Version
So, again, please read the bible, the whole thing. And while you do so, ask yourself if the described super-power/god/father, whatever you call it, is worth any admiration at all. There is a good chance you will get appalled and sick reading about this deity. Maybe even turn you into atheism.
So, to sum it up:
People are real.
God, Jesus and the bible are all fiction created in man's mind!
So accept yourself for who you are!
And shame on the people comparing being a lesbian to crime. Shame! Shame on you despicable people!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012 10:33:19 AM PDT
DOC,
Some Christians (Baptists, for example) really do split hair about precisely who God loves. I wouldn't recommend the Baptist church to anyone in the GBLT community. The Baptists take much the same position as is taken in the Church of Islam. What it all comes down to are factions and money. If all the Christ-based religions would just agree to disagree and share the wealth, there'd be no need for so much of the hatred and misunderstanding...no phony justification for wars that are nothing more than land-grabs and exploitation of the resources of others. One does not need to belong to ANY church to "believe" in God. God is in us, moves through us, surrounds us. I imagine any omnipotent deity would be simultaneously horrified, laughing hysterically and crying at the actions (and inaction) of the human community throughout all of time. I follow a path of Tibetan Buddhism, but have in past attended Christian churches and heard the most venomous and bigoted statements being made..then got up and left the place. It's not about a building. It's not about donations. It's not about gender preference. The Baptists attempt to "keep those who attend their church in line" by harassing a couple who isn't married. Jehovah's Witnesses have a much more cohesive "family" within their congregations and their revision of the Bible is a little nicer to women than the KJV -- but Jehovah forbid a couple should even hang out alone together without a chaperon -- and sex before marriage? Unthinkable! And is how these fine, upstanding Christian folks treat Heterosexuals! If your body is a temple and you treat it as such, what need is there for buildings and parking lots (other than to put in an appearance and possibly make a new set of friends)?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012 12:30:21 PM PDT
Roger,
Personally, I follow the teachings of indigenous people who were (and still do their best to remain) in touch with the forces of nature within the world, where all of life is precious (not exclusively human life). Teachings, as opposed to Religion, based in Shamanism. The root of the word Religion is "to bind back". It is a means of both separation and "keeping the masses in line." I am real, you are real. So are some concepts that often seem paradoxical or impossible to the Western mind. Yet they are achievable.

An amputee cannot regrow limbs at this point in time. An amputee CAN choose to have a quality of life rising above anger, resentment and foolishness. In my perception, much of Christianity is cruel and exclusionary. It is a religion founded on principles of greed, control and acquisition of the resources of others. The KJV is a bad translation that leaves out a great deal of important information. What else can one expect from a book written by members of the Privileged Class for approval by a king of England? Yet, I cannot deny the fact of the Tulku, of the reincarnation of spirit when it leaves the body. The Dalai Lama embraces Quantum Physics, as do I. There are places where spirituality and science meet and cross-pollinate. There is agreement, rather than collision. An Atheist who believes in the truths of Quantum Physics, by default has found a spiritual place. A Pantheist is also, by default, a Pagan. Paganism is an innocent and loving regard for everything in nature..and the Christians have demonized the concept.

An amputee does, in many cases, have the choice to die rather than endure amputation. I've sworn to myself that no matter what, I'm leaving with as much as I came into the world with. If I get breast cancer, I refuse to have chemo, radiation or a mastectomy. That is my choice. I also will not allow myself to be buried in the ground or incinerated. It is my sincere hope that when my time to die arrives, I'll have the strength to move to a place where no one but the carrion eaters will find me. What on Earth possesses me to turn my back on the Western funeral system? Because I wish to give back some of what it has taken to support my life. Because the ceremonies of death in our culture make no sense to me -- they are a racket, like many of the Christian churches are. I accept myself and my rather "offbeat" ideas. Yet, if someone were to assist in moving my body to a remote place? This would be considered a crime. Ridiculous! Just as ridiculous as treating anyone in the GBLT community as some form of criminal because they are not Heterosexual and married.

If the alleged events of 2012 years ago were to take place today, the parents of Jesus would have been regarded as Schizophrenics and given heavy duty anti-psychotic medications after being committed to a Mental Hospital. Anyone proclaiming themselves "the Messiah" would be locked up in a rubber room.

I do not regard GBLT people as criminals. There is nothing criminal in choosing who we love and how we love, as long as the parties involved are sufficiently mature in understanding and are able to give informed consent. This is an important feature of relationship too often ignored by the Priests and other figures of influence within the Catholic Church! It is a hotbed of criminal behavior, where predators run rampant and many are never brought to justice, just given a transfer to another church in another state.

What I will say to you is this: many people are not as strong within themselves as you would hope they might be. They are afraid of dying. They look for easy answers in convenient packages.They haven't learned to function independently, to think for themselves..and this makes them easy to exploit. This is very sad. I believe in a system of teachings that is a lot less comforting and convenient, where the individual must take responsibility for their actions within a series of lifetimes and must work not to give into hatred, greed, foolishness, anger. And, even when one reaches a place where they've lived a life of kindness, compassion and greatly evolved awareness? This spirit may choose to continue to return to our crazy world and go through the mill eternally, rather than blowing this pop stand.

Frank Zappa got it right: "The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing." Too many people mistake kindness for meekness (and weakness). Dunno about you but my hackles rise when someone refers to me as a "sheep." I've interrupted sermons to inform the preacher and the congregation that "what's needed here are more sheepDOGs". I'd like to think this Lesbian, if she absolutely must cling to Christianity, will find a church where bigotry is not part of the lesson. I replied to her post with an attempt to promote understanding and acceptance of her beliefs and support her need to feel "OK with God", even though I do not practice or accept much of what is termed Christianity. Allow people to believe in fiction, even when it is a fiction they are using to denigrate themselves. Very often, by holding to a belief that is inconsistent or even hostile to one's existence, people come to understand that what they're doing to themselves amounts to nothing more than self-torture..and they evolve into someone more fearless. If someone believes in a God who, by default, rejects them as an abomination? I can only hope they learn about paradox and irony and acquire the wisdom necessary to walk away from the farce.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012 5:02:59 PM PDT
E Onorato
I have read a buuch of the responses. I was a health teacher and am very much a catholic. I have not read anyone observing or saying that homosexual behavior is disfunctional. It is fundamentally unhealthy. The physical function of the act cannot be fullfilled. If you found you loved to have sex with ten year olds, would you become who you think you are or would you change you to be compatable with a more appropriate behavior. I see no legal reason interfreing in the behavior of adults who choose to follow there homosexual behavior but I also see no reason not to recognize that this behavior is disfunctional.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012 7:05:42 PM PDT
unbounded says:
I am a Christian, now Episcopal former Roman Catholic. I have done a lot of internal work to get to a place of joy, peace and having an open compassionate heart, even to those who have hurt me the most. I have accepted the fact that God does not make mistakes therefore I am not a mistake by being a lesbian. I do my best to follow Christ's footsteps to have compassion to others whether I like them or not which we all know is quite difficult. I am sorry you believe that you'll go to hell if you engage in a loving relationship in all forms. For me this belief and life is in itself hell. Hope you find peace and love in your life.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012 7:13:29 PM PDT
unbounded says:
Thank You.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012 8:21:23 PM PDT
T. Fortune says:
Edward C. Onorato says,

"I have read a buuch of the responses" which = "I glossed over the many, insightful replies but because I disagreed, I've decided to make a pile of baseless claims (whilst fantasizing) about same-sex relations & have attempted to equate same-sex, consensual adult relationships with pedophilia ~again~ because I really believe I ought to be able to dictate your life by virtue of my own religious beliefs".

Does that about sum it up, Edward?

You all keep missing the point: YOU do not have the right to discriminate against ME and to dictate who I love simply because YOU do not understand or agree (or have latent urges you are closeting). Consenting adults do not need YOUR permission. I do not understand or agree to catholicism- do you think I ought to be able to deny you that right or to deny you any rights because you are a catholic?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2012 9:59:41 AM PDT
bachdog says:
Yeah. Mind your own damn business. Something is not right in how you imagine your life to be so you tell others what you think or believe or imagine is "right."

Mind your business.

This means end the sadly pathetic drug war too. Mind your own business, big brother (corporations and special interests) who pretend to watch out for the people but actually watch over the people or serfdom.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2012 10:36:23 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 17, 2012 10:53:53 AM PDT
C. J. Reese says:
To make the subject up close and personal; I asked myself a question.
IF I decided that I am in love with my neighbors husband, while 2 families would
be involved, - what would I do??
We do have our urges and preferences, - but we are not forced to act on them?

But, "what if I think I just can't live without him?"
(My answer is not meant to be advice, or a judgment, but, for me........)
I would know that I must get over it. What I want is not mine. It is off limits.

What would compel an adult to think that others care to know about another's
sexuality? Does that mean that heterosexual people should assume that the
world is wanting for them to come out of the closet, - and discribe the details of
their likes/dislikes and quirks.
Please, spare us the information. It isn't a lie to not tell everything we know.

I am more than a little interested, because I helped an abused male person grow from
10 years of age to a 38 year old legal secretary in NY.

At one point in time, the gay community had tried to convince him that he
was one of them. He had an expreme lonliness problem and it was difficult to
discern IF it was a heart, or a sexual problem.

Fortunately, a man he met at college told him that he didn't need to decide
anything in a rush; because none of us need to act on our impulses..... or to
disclose personal things to the curious.

As time moved on, he found that when his life was full of a good job, some
good friends and a focus on others......... what he thought could be a problem
faded. Today, he has a good life.
Personally, whatever anyone decides to do;
........it would be nice to not do the evengelical thing.

It was not necessary for anyone to deal with another's confusion.
(my biased opinion)

As far as "hell fire", - it is a metaphor taught by Jesus Himself, that was used at the
same time that Jesus also said, "If your hand offend you, - cut it off...."
and "If your eye offend you, - poke it out......"
Jesus taught in parables/metaphors and said so. He painted mental pictures to
overstate His points.
How is it that few have misunderstood and poke out their eye; or cut off their hand?
Why then would we not see clearly, the message behind the point He was making?

As far as the interest in our sexual roles, I like to think that we are given warnings for
our sake, - not to see that we towed the mark. Likely, that should be considered.
Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2012 11:30:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 17, 2012 11:37:00 AM PDT
C. J. Reese says:
MM, Although I am not familiar with the things you might have been told
in the Catholic Church, it is pretty clear that you have looked at the
King James Bible as a literal history book, not caring to look any further.

By skipping the doctrine and traditions, we find a Creator that can
set us free from the strife, confusion and brokenness that the world can present.

Jesus tells us the He taught in parables. The language of the Bible is metaphor,
allegory and parable. It's Principals, Content and Intent is a report of wisdom
that was share with us by Prophets from many generations.

It is a way to confirm the inspiration that comes to seekers, today.

Your accusations don't seem to be about the Bible, but of what someone
"told you" about it. It sounds that they were also listening to what they
were told....... However, there IS Light and Life in its Principals and Intent.

I have no argument; but to suggest that there are other ways of seeing
the same Book that you see as corrupt, - from hearing your chosen group of critics?.

Jesus the Christ comes to where we are; not where someone else says we
should be. He simply wants us to walk and talk with Him, as we grow
in the understanding of the Love, Mercy and Justice that is fulfilled by the Grace
of God, Himself.
For those of that have had the tenacity to search; we find a God that enriches
every day of our Journey.

Posted on Jul 17, 2012 7:46:27 PM PDT
singsingsing says:
There is absolutely no Biblical prohibition against women loving women. None. And the Leviticus prohibition was a warning to not have sex with temple prostitutes, who were men dressed as women. You'd have to actually know your Bible and the cultural context, which I've found many people don't bother with. If you notice, this prohibition was among the cleanliness and sexual disease laws. The seriousness of violating it is on par with wearing clothing of mixed fibers. Not very. Go ahead an love who you love, honey. God approves of love. Have you explored the original notion of God, before men remade him in their image? God, in the old Judeo scriptures, had a feminine face called the Shekhinah.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2012 1:02:27 PM PDT
seriously? you're comparing a pedophile with a "gay" person? since when is being a pedophile in any way a relationship between 2 consenting adults? never.

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 1:30:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 26, 2012 1:31:02 PM PDT
D. DeHart says:
In Romans 1:21-32 says: 26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.

28 Furthermore, since they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, he gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what ought not to be done. 29 They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, 30 slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; 31 they are senseless, faithless, heartless, ruthless. 32 Although they know God's righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.". (Leviticus 18:22) 22 "`Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable.".
(2peter 2:4-10)"4 For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but sent them to hell,[a] putting them into gloomy dungeons[b] to be held for judgment; 5 if he did not spare the ancient world when he brought the flood on its ungodly people, but protected Noah, a preacher of righteousness, and seven others; 6 if he condemned the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah by burning them to ashes, and made them an example of what is going to happen to the ungodly; 7 and if he rescued Lot, a righteous man, who was distressed by the filthy lives of lawless men 8 (for that righteous man, living among them day after day, was tormented in his righteous soul by the lawless deeds he saw and heard)- 9 if this is so, then the Lord knows how to rescue godly men from trials and to hold the unrighteous for the day of judgment, while continuing their punishment.[c] 10 This is especially true of those who follow the corrupt desire of the sinful nature[d] and despise authority." (John 14: 23-25) 23 Jesus replied, "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. 24 He who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me.
(Romans 6:11-13) 11 In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus. 12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires. 13 Do not offer the parts of your body to sin, as instruments of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God, as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer the parts of your body to him as instruments of righteousness.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2012 7:05:29 AM PDT
D. DeHart says:
They are both unnatural. Meaning not what the God of Scripture has created. Even sex outside of marriage in any form is sin. But Jesus came & gave His life so that we could be set free from sin & death. God is love. But because of Who He is, His very Character, He cannot tolerate sin. So He laid down His Diety, & took human form so that He could die in our place as the perfect sacrifice! Obedience to His Word brings life, disobedience brings death. We can't possibly obey in our own strength, so we seek Him with our whole hearts, minds, & strength. He can be found in His Holy Word.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2012 2:31:03 PM PDT
there is a way that seem right to a man but the end is death (Proverbs 14:12) and All a man's ways seem right to him, but the LORD weighs the heart, Proverbs 21:2,, (Joshua 24:15) And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the LORD, choose this day whom you will serve. It's important to Remember, God does NOT hate the SINNER, he hates and has to condemn the sin. Homosexuality is a sinful act but he has given you a way out of that sin and His name is Jesus Christ. If you accept him as your Lord and Savior, He can help anyone with their lustful desires. Whether it be over eating, drugs, alcohol, or a obsessive behavior. God's arm is not short (Isaiah 59:1). He wants you to have a happy and healthy CLEAN life BUT if we do sin there is 1john 1:9 if we confess our sins, HE (Jesus) is faithful and just to to forgive us of our sins and cleanse us from ALL unrighteuosness. I hope this helps many. God Bless

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 3:24:50 PM PDT
Dodge Dart says:
Keep on believing and be a good person. God made you, orientation and all. Your orientation is not a determining factor in whether or not you go to Heaven. God created all of us and wanted us to be what He created and use free will to do good into each other.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Self-help forum (421 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Self-help forum
Participants:  1305
Total posts:  7326
Initial post:  Aug 6, 2007
Latest post:  Jul 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 54 customers

Search Customer Discussions