Customer Discussions > Self-help forum

Can a Christian be a Taoist or Buddhist??

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 528 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 9, 2007 5:18:27 PM PST
Joel says:
^^ Title says it... ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2007 1:01:54 PM PST
NO! If your thinking of "Christian" as the world in general believes it to be, then yes, they do anything they want and still call themselves Christian because they believe in God and Christ, but TRUE Christians must follow Christ's example, and most do not. The Bible says "Go in through the narrow gate because broad and spacious is the road leading off into destruction and many are the ones going in through it; whereas narrow is the gate and cramped the road leading off into life and few are the ones finding it." Many claim to be Christians but they will be denied by Christ because they remain "workers of lawlessness" and do not follow his laws, which are laid out in the Bible. Search for the Truth if thats what you seek, God sees your heart and knows you better than you know yourself, if you truly want the TRUTH, pray to God and ask Him to help you find the Truth, as Jesus taught his followers to pray and to follow his example. I prayed for years, and finally found it in the most unlikely place. If you are sincere HE will direct your steps and you WILL find it in HIS time. He will help you find Truth when you are ready, and by that I mean when HE knows you are ready, not when YOU think you are. Sometimes it may take time, but you must have a humble heart, be open and ask questions, the answers should make perfect sense if you find it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2007 2:10:33 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 10, 2007 2:11:06 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2007 9:01:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2007 9:17:42 AM PST
No. A Christian accepts believes in one God and accepts Christ as his savior. A Christian practices Christianity, not Buddhism or Taoism, or any other religion. That does not mean a Christian must be ignorant of other religions, and it certainly does not mean a Christian should be intolerant. It also does not mean that curiosity about other religions is sinful. God made every one of us, and loves every one.

Likewise, a Taoist or Buddhist cannot be a Christian. Each can acknowledge the other religion, but one cannot practice multiple religions without deceit.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2007 10:39:08 AM PST
Blackcrow says:
I say absolutely YES! Christian doctrine is interpreted by countless individuals and groups. There are the Southern Baptists and other fundamentalists(much like the Islamic fundamentalists except that they wear western clothing and believe their fundamentalist culture is the expression of what God wants). They would call anyone disagreeing with their interpretation of Christianity as Hellbound and Immoraland outside the Bibles grace.And if you dared to include any other ethic, culture, religion , or philosophy as an equal to their own,they will say they love you, but unfortunately the CREATOR OF ALL will give you up to torture and misery forever! There are more liberal churches who don't believe this heartless psychopathic CRAP and would be happy for you to call yourself whatever you want-without the threat of being thrown into some Fundamentalist fantasy medeval Universal Dungeon that God Gave to an imaginary Satan. Call yoursel whatever you want -it IS OKAY! And don't let the fundamentalist South and it's backward spiritual ideas scare you. Remember, Southern Baptists separated from mainstream Baptists because they took the Bibile literally and thus believed that SLAVERY was OK. Am I angry? Of course I am-look at the death, misery, guilt,and superstition that is being been promulgated by these fundamentalist creeps of any religion. And now Cable TV and the internet let them spread their poisn north of the Mason?Dixon Line! Think for yourself -Don't let these people scare you- the Creator of the Universe is far more open, mysterious and loving than what could be put down in a bible written by ancient, warlike,superstitious middle eastern nomads!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2007 7:52:42 AM PST
J. Balducci says:
If you realise the true meaning behind the Christian myth, then you can read any religious text you want and use it in any context you'd like as long as you're not just believing in something blindly. What do you feel in your gut? Your intuition obviously is telling you that there's something you can learn from these texts and there are many people who will impose on you their Catholic mythical mumbo jumbo. I was born and raised Catholic, and the only thing I learned from it is to not to be drained by those who make you think you're a sinner because you don't fit their mold. It would be a sin to be untrue to yourself. You're setting off on a journey which is way beyond what we are taught as Christians. I'm not saying any of the teachings in the bible are wrong, just saying that they are taken too literally and certain translations were used to control people. Think about it, you don't want people thinking there's nothing wrong with having multiple partners.. Because that means the ones in power will have less women at their disposal. A person in power doesn't want the people believing in reincarnation.. Because that means the people won't be afraid of dying or would think they only have one chance to fit this mold of a non-sinner according to the ones who exploit the religion. It's a religion based on fear, a country based on fear, and very happy politicians and clergymen with fat pockets. Read, expand your mind, don't let emotions and sympathy and fellow catholics make you feel bad about raising your Consciousness. We are all one God, therefore anything you do to raise your own consciousness and to help others and make others happy will in turn help you and everyone else. Of course the Catholic faith supports these ideas as does every religion. But we can't let the past and present exploitations keep us ignorant to the truth that you KNOW in your gut, not the stories that you choose to "Believe". Look at the word believe, in the middle of it is the word LIE (Be"lie"ve). Why believe in a lie when you can just learn from the story and give yourself more credit for that which you create for yourself in life.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2007 5:41:29 PM PST
Blackcrow says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2007 5:48:49 PM PST
Blackcrow says:
Didnt you hear Peggy there IS a religion that practices multiple religions without deceit... its called Unitarianism-there are lots of others too and they can call themselves Christians if they want to. Why???? because Peggy isnt the Queen Empress there!!!!! . Ill call myself anything I want-even a saved nice guy. Call yourself a Christian and call me whatever you want- who cares what you call me- I dont- and neither does God....He just wishes you maybe get yourself a nice manicure.....Have to go eat....

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2007 5:55:15 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2007 5:56:11 PM PST
R. Singer says:
Taoist and Buddhist wisdom can be practiced by anyone that wants to add peace to their life. Lets get out of the box and stop labeling things. within us exists the truth, outside of us is delusion.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2007 4:42:15 PM PST
Different religions, different faiths, different beliefs. It's all part of the grand illusion we create for ourselves that there are real differences in spiritual matters. The best way of evaluating how much truth a given spirituality contains is by realizing how much common ground it has with 'other' systems. In the end, they all lead to the same Reality. It all goes back to the Source. The Universe resulted from an infinitesimally small point of infinite sameness. The human mind has succeeded in succumbing to the easily made mistake of thinking everything and everyone is different.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2007 5:01:16 PM PST
M. Mckenzie says:
So if what you have written is what you believe, then you do in fact believe that Taoism is a form of religion? I ask this because Taoism, also referred to as the "Way" has often times been considered a philosophy or a way teaching, not neccasarily a religion. Please expound more about how you know of Taoism. I'm doing a reseach paper and would really appreciate any help I can get. Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2007 5:09:12 PM PST
M. Mckenzie says:
I'm doing a research paper on Christians and Taoism and would appreciate your help. Do you mind me asking your denomination, that is, if you have one? And if you are a practicing member? Is this your opinion or factual evidence? If factual, where can I find this information and/or similiar info? Any information would be truely appreciated.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2007 5:16:02 PM PST
M. Mckenzie says:
I don't see where you've stated evidence or even answered this question. You have only let us know how much you resented being raised a Catholic. Where do you show that Christians can and/or do practice Taoism?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2007 1:36:07 AM PST
no.
in the land of yin/yang, god can never win. there will never be an armageddon. "good" only balances "evil", but can never destroy it....if it does, it destroys itself as well. they are mutually dependent on each other for existence. one only knows heaven because they know hell as well. light is just as blinding as darkness. nothing is to be taken to an extreme, not even pious devotion. as shakespeare said in hamlet: "we are oft to blame in this, tis too much proved, that with pious action and devotion's visage we do sugar o'er the devil himself."

taoism is about balance of all natural forces. yin becomes yang, and yang becomes yin in a cycle that never ends. you are to be detached from everything, letting go of this and choosing that (once you choose that, it becomes this and you let it go anyway) because all things pass. the shape changes, but never the form..it's an empty vessel, and is everything, elevating nothing.

thus, you cannot give it a single all demanding definition, surely not a single human persona demanding a single path to heaven and all else be damned.

it is the path of no path in particular, because all paths lead to the same place....that beginning again (thus, as bruce lee used in his jeet kune do philosophy, it is formless so it can assume all forms.)

something is what it is...no definition or judgment is required. to do so means to step out of the moment, and because moments are fleeting, meaning (something that you cannot fully express by words anyway) is lost.

there is nothing that is not natural. mankind is part of nature. his skyscrapers are still the work of nature, because man is still a part of nature. anything we find, from gay marriage to incest is to say it is found in nature and is natural, if not to you, then to someone else. nothing is ever forced. nothing is really right nor wrong. it simply is what it is, but to say that one is right is to automatically say there is a wrong...it's opposite. yin and yang are actually illusions of perspective, and just like the rainbow is many colors derived from 1 source of light, there is a myriad of perspectives attached to any subject...none of which are the one true way, and you definitely don't go conforming to another's idea of what is what...then you become a slave, a robot bouncing back and forth between masters. better to accept a situation as it is, let it pass, and move on.

like jedi and sith. a jedi is not ruled by his emotions, he rules them, but uses them (not being out of control, he's able to trust them). a sith embraces his emotions, and carries each one with him. imagine going from boxing to ballet class and not letting go of your boxing frame of mind. wow, it's going to get in the way of ballet.

none of this is reconcilable with the narrow minded, dogmatic views of the christian church.

it can be summed up in chapter 1 in the tao te ching. the rest is just one way to transcend yin/yang.
they do share some of the same views...it's only natural. taoism/buddhism are born out of hinduism and zoroastrianism, as is judaism. and christianity is the most eclectic religion in history.

with taoism, you either have no religion (it's purely philosophical and no god is involved at all) or you have polytheism, which is much like the pagan view that the gods are merely symbols or archtypes of human nature, and to invoke a god is only to invoke the aspects it represents within your own psyche. to be simple and good natured is to be like pooh. invoke pooh, invoke the qualities of being simple and good natured within yourself...where we all know pooh is not real. the "idol" is just a physical representation...something to focus on that helps invoke those qualities.

taoism is difficult to understand because there's nothing to understand. tao is all that ever was, ever is, and ever will be in it's simple, yet complex form. like a water fountain in the middle of a lake, it's made of itself, each moment is an eternity that lasts a few seconds (it is always now, so now is what lasts forever, even though it changes....changing with change - the changeless state). you cannot define everything the same way, so tao has no real definition. no 2 situations are completely identical, so you must go into each situation with a completely open mind. what works today may not work tomorrow, and what didn't work yesterday may work today.

because tao permeates everything from god to the most pious follower, you can say there is no difference between god and the follower.
this is definitely not reconcilable with church dogma where god is elevated above everything and the follower is really nothing.
to follow god is to be one dimensional. tao is every dimension. one is strict, the other lenient.
the 2 are definitely not compatible.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2007 12:06:43 PM PST
Seekz says:
Answer to question:
Is there anything in those beliefs that contradict Christianity?
If no then be one.
If yes then don't be one.

Personally I can't see that it's possible.

Hinduism (which variety?) seems so 'self' centered. Besides, Hindus support an oppresive regime in Tibet- wanting to enslave an entire country.

Taoism (again, which variety?) couldn't make because of the belief in symbology and self-serving development.

Save the 'enlightenment' arguments- they are nothing more than pretext for being selfish.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2007 1:33:44 PM PST
J. Balducci says:
I don't resent being raised a catholic, it shaped me into what I am today. The ridiculous beliefs that were being imposed on me resulted in my questioning of faith. And obviously the poster must have some reason why he is looking into alternative philosophies and views of consciousness. A Christian can practice Taoism, why not? It is definitely possible to do so, I don't think they'll be struck by some kind of lightning bolt or anything for thinking outside the bubble... The government might try to kill him if he thinks way too outside the bubble, but that's just the country we live in..

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2007 1:41:06 PM PST
J. Balducci says:
Are you saying that improving oneself is selfish? What if it inspires greatness in those around you? What if your improvement helps your family? What if improving yourself also includes helping others, which it most definitely will?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2007 6:27:26 AM PST
Vern says:
Answer to question:
Is there anything in those beliefs that contradict Christianity?
If no then be one.
If yes then don't be one.

This answer fits me. If you are a fundemantist there is a contradiction. The fundermentalist approach is to take every word of the scrpture as granted. If you approach by experience : meditation, contemplation, way of Saint Jean de la Croix and St Francis Of Assisi there is no more contradiction at least in the experience itself. When one puts an intellectual interpretation beyond each others beleif there begins the contradiction : who is God, who is the saviour, what to ador, what tpo beleive...

The ten commandements for example is half the morals of a an ordinary budhist. He adds no anger, no violence, justice in all things, right thinking. For him, it is not enough to be not a murderer, not a theif, not a lyer, not an adultery... The Hindus are less explicite because there are so many cults. But the Vedas admit no playing around with morals either because the Universe is at stake with every sinner and either he chooses ignorance or evolution. So is the morality in the Bible superior to all the others? Sin is not viewed the same way in religions. In christianity it's a matter of abedience, in budhism a matter of priority (to stay or not in ignorance and suffering), in hinduisme a matter of evolution (stay an animal or become fulfilled in divinity). Which view would you choose?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2007 11:03:15 AM PST
M. Porter says:
Christianity at its purest is about a relationship with Jesus. All the denominations of Christianity fight over stupid, petty religious details and miss this fundamental point. Christianity is the only faith where humans have to admit we are lost without a personal savior to pay the price for sin and bridge the gap between ourselves and God. All the other faiths tell us to work hard, strive to be good, and try to reach enlightenment. So, no, a Christian cannot also be Taoist or Buddhist because the faiths are in complete opposition about human salvation and relationship with God.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2007 6:25:51 PM PST
Aureliefr says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2007 12:45:49 AM PST
aphra says:
So do you believe Christainity is a stand alone religion or do you think its possible or desirable to have inter-faith religions?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2007 8:01:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 8, 2007 8:02:51 AM PST
David Lord says:

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2007 12:27:22 PM PST
A. Milton says:
I consider myself a Christian - a follower of Christ, yet I practice kriya yoga meditation and study buddhism. I am not a Christian in the true religious or theological sense of the word because I do not believe that a person has to "accept Christ as their savior" in order to be with God. I think that the religion has gone way over board to interpret scripture to exclude people who are not baptised. I believe the way of Christ is very similar to buddhism, and that if Christ were alive today he would not exclude this or other forms of spirituality that promote a relationship with God.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2007 3:59:26 AM PST
Bunnyrabbit says:
People who say no do NOT understand the message of Christ and are lost. There is no incompatibility between taoism, buddhism and Christ. Focus on the message, not on the "ism". Leave your ego behind, you are more than you think you are.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2007 6:28:52 AM PST
Vern says:
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 22 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Self-help forum (421 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Is there a Key to Happiness? 1319 6 days ago
Why is it so difficult attempting to live one's dream? 7 7 days ago
What is the best new Self Helf book you have read? 194 7 days ago
Can we really predict future based on past ? 0 7 days ago
Source of Happiness - Your own heart OR External People (lifeconcepts.info) 0 7 days ago
Heart and Mind - How to bring them together 0 7 days ago
Are there any self help books not containing religion? 97 8 days ago
Why is the God of the Bible so angry? Also - Adam and Eve... come on? 8566 10 days ago
i made a easy 20% gain in the stock market today with solid proof 1 12 days ago
My Philosophy of Life 1 12 days ago
Does material success gives you happiness or is happiness different from material success? 9 28 days ago
David Deida: Feminine & Masculine Sexiness, 3rd Stage Relationships, Purpose & Heart - 1999 0 Aug 20, 2014

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Self-help forum
Participants:  121
Total posts:  528
Initial post:  Nov 9, 2007
Latest post:  Aug 6, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions