Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Sennheiser forum

Need an amplifier for my HD650.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 20, 2009 9:43:29 AM PDT
P. Wang says:
Need an amplifier for my HD650. Could anyone give some advice?
Thank you.

ps:I'm not rich at all.

Posted on Jun 10, 2009 3:43:36 PM PDT
Rick Mont says:
I just bought a Little Country III tube amp. $399.00 which may be too much for you. You can get a Firestone Cute II for about $129.00. Anything less than about $130 and you really are not going to do the headphones justice. You should save your pennies because the proper headphone amp will make your new headphones shine.

Posted on Jun 11, 2009 7:53:58 PM PDT
R. Thompson says:
Try the Musical Fidelity V-CAN, which is $199 at musicdirect.com. No pretty box, just the best they can build for the price. This company has a good reputation for sound quality, but I've never listened to this particular product. Also, Music Hall makes the OBH-11 at the same price point. Good luck; hope you find something you enjoy!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2009 5:04:13 PM PDT
Dale Thorn says:
I bought a Cute Beyond amp for my Sennheiser 800's for $179, all Class A design, and cable for iPod to use iPod's line output for better sound than iPod headphone jack. Unfortunately, the $77 cable does not yet work with the new video camera Nano when formatted for PC's. Other than that, a great amp.

Posted on Oct 11, 2009 2:30:10 AM PDT
Peter Huynh says:
Try one of the Little Dot Amplifiers - good value for money - if you search for "headphone amp" in Ebay, their products should come up.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2009 1:26:09 PM PDT
Dale Thorn says:
Since the Sennheiser headphone works well with music players and their headphone jacks, you won't get much if any improvement in sound with a headphone amp unless you can connect the "line out" of the music player or computer to the "line in" of the headphone amp. With iPods, it requires a special cable from the dock connector on the iPod to RCA plugs, etc. Going all digital, with USB input to a headphone amp can be tricky, since many USB processors in headphone amps have quality problems.

Posted on Dec 21, 2009 11:40:14 AM PST
If you need it for portable use, try the FiiO E5 Headphone Amplifier. But you'll also need Grado Mini Adaptor Cable - 1/4 Inch to 1/8 Inch Plug.
Your reply to D. Christensen's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on Jan 4, 2010 2:49:26 PM PST
What is your intended use? If it's for home listening, try one of Headroom's excellent models, or one of the other suggestions in this thread. For portable use with a music player such as an iPod, I suggest trying the $20 FiiO E5. Just got one for my iPod Nano 5g and Sennheiser HD600's. The Nano just doesn't have enough grunt to drive the HD600's adequately with some tracks -- the E5 adds just enough power to make the problem go away. I can't tell any difference in sound quality using the iPod as a source. When compared with my Home Headroom, it isn't as good, naturally, but then that's not what the E5 is about.

Posted on Jan 14, 2010 5:56:38 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2010 5:57:22 PM PST
Frostbite says:
Haha, I don't know who would recommend a FiiO for those power hungry monsters, but it won't do much of anything for them. If you save up a bit, Headroom's crossfeed amps over at headphone.com are REALLY nice, I own the Micro one for my K702s and it's just dandy. I've also read good things about Little Dot, but really if you need the top recommendations for your budget, go post on Head-Fi.org. They're nuts, I'll admit, but they know their stuff and most of them that will post have had your headphones before and paired them with multiple amps. Good luck to you and sorry about your wallet.

Posted on Feb 19, 2012 9:36:58 PM PST
Fatman85 says:
Yes. Like some of the other posts have said don't go with Fiio. They're great for lower priced headphones but the 650's are power hungry monsters! I know, I have a pair! My setup is Asus Xonar Essence ST - Schiit Asgard - HD 650. That combo does them some justice! Don't deprive the monsters!

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 6:14:17 PM PDT
willmaHJ says:
Definitely look at the objective2 headphone amp, you can find loads of information about it and it's design by googling "nwavguy" who is the designer. It can be bought from Jdslabs for around 160, or a little cheaper in eBay. But read about it if nothing else.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Sennheiser forum (16 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Sennheiser forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Mar 20, 2009
Latest post:  Jul 26, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions