Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale
Customer Discussions > Skin Care forum

Facial Scar Help

Discussion moved to this forum by Amazon on May 20, 2009 10:55:17 AM PDT.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 69 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 26, 2008 9:47:33 PM PDT
MsLisa says:
Hi everyone...I'm looking for a facial product that will help lessen the appearance of a facial scar from an injury 3 years ago. It isn't a raised scar but more of an indentation, about 1/4 inch in length. I've tried to lighten it with Aveeno day moisturizer, which has helped some. It seems to look better when the skin has been well-moisturized the night before. I'm looking for something that would continue the skin regenerating process, with the idea it will continue to fade. One other thought would be a collagen-type product that might lessen the indentation by plumping the skin. What product(s) would you suggest? I've been looking everywhere and would like to get some feedback before considering a dermatologist. Thanks for your help. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2008 1:09:10 PM PDT
Hi, Natasha. The best way IS the dermatologist. Hugs. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2008 7:07:11 AM PDT
Aygul Tyrina says:
Try to use body butter from Obey Your Body Line (www.obeyyourbody.com).
I used to to get rid of my own scar and it did a good job. It is very thick. Much thicker than the regular lotion. But it doesn't clog your skin and doesn't leave it oily. And it penetrates deep into your skin. Plus it is a natural product made from the dead sea ingredients and a bunch of vitamins.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2008 1:27:13 PM PDT
MsLisa says:
Thanks so much. I'm going to check out the website and give it a try. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2008 3:09:41 PM PDT
T. Duke says:
Look up Arbonne, http://www.arbonne.com/index.asp?lang=eng
I used a product called "Skin Oil" on my elbows, knees and a huge scar on my knee from an ACL surgery. The stuff worked great! for my rough elbows and knees, but my scar, 10 years old at the time is about gone. Just a guys opinion as this appeared on the blackberry forum...???

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2008 3:59:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 15, 2008 4:01:13 PM PDT
MsLisa says:
Thanks for your response, T. Duke. Interestingly, I have been looking at a product called Bio Oil (on Amazon), which has received very positive reviews. Since the Arbonne is "oil-based," I'll check that out also. It sounds like you had great results, especially since you had an older scar. My scar is about 3 years old, located on my chin. I use "coverage" everyday, but after awhile, it would be nice to have a product to lessen its appearance. I wrote down the url and will check it out for sure. This is great! Your reply, and others, are giving me hope. And how cool that I got a response from a guy. yay! Thank you :) P.S. - That is kind of funny it ended up in a Blackberry forum. lol

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2008 11:31:28 AM PDT
hello, i would like to know how your search is doing.
i also have a facial scar that i have had for 13 years. when i was 4, i slipped and fell and i have a diagonal scar in between my eyebrows in the middle of my forehead. 11 stiches, maybe about 3/4 of an inch. it is an indentation, not raised, like the one you described. basically, it's a sunken scar, with a pitted appearance. this happens when underlying structures supporting the skin, like fat or muscle, are lost.. basically the only remedy that may help is collagen, but it's not permanent and it won't change the skin, it only raises it to be even with the rest. i guess concealer would help after that.. let me know what you think.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2008 11:43:47 AM PDT
i also read about the bio oil but i haven't quite been convinced yet. i have used products from a company called Godiva, Inc. from the phillipines. i went to them for skin lightening products for dark underarms. basically, i was definitely satisfied. they gave me a soap, cream, and antiperspirant/deodorant combo that made my skin completely even again. they're miracle products (if i use anything else my skin will turn dark again)

http://www.godivaskincare.com/store/home.php

basically they have proven to me that they have good products, and i've read about a product they have called fruit acid revitalizing cream. they recommend it for age spots, acne scars, leg scars, blackheads, melasma, stretch marks, even warts. i guess it's some kind of microexfoliation process.. i'm considering buying this product in particular for scars and blackheads, so it might change the skin color/surface (probably not the sunkenness)

http://www.godivaskincare.com/store/product.php?productid=25&cat=3&page=1

http://www.godivaskincare.com/aging.html

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2008 9:56:44 PM PDT
MsLisa says:
Hi :) and thanks for responding. Right now I am using Olay Regenerist Daily Regenerating Serum and Olay Regenerist Night Recovery Moisturizing Treatment together. Obviously, these are not for the treatment of scars, but I have had a nice "side effect," so thought I would share it. I noticed after a few days, my scar (on my chin) is much less noticeable, and I think I've figured out why. These two products have a couple of silicone-based ingredients that help "fill" the indentation. Then, I apply concealer and follow with Bare Minerals foundation. Amazing! The way I test to see if the scar is less noticeable is to view the area in a mirror in natural light. I couldn't see the scar at all two days ago! I know, of course, it is there, but this new technique has helped a lot, so thought I would share it. Also, I'm going to try a product called Derma E Scar Gel that I found here on Amazon. I didn't see any stars for this product, but the rest of the Derma E line has four to five stars for every product! (Maybe someone could comment on it if they read this post.) I did see in one person's review that she had good success with the Derma E Scar Gel. So, that is kind of where I'm at right now. Thanks so much for the links in your additional email, and I will check those out too. We're on a mission! lol! This thread has turned out to not only be helpful, but encouraging and a lot of fun! Thanks. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2008 10:11:14 PM PDT
MsLisa says:
oops...Someone did vote five stars on the Derma E Scar Gel. yay! Just wanted to update on that. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2008 7:15:01 AM PST
K. M. Bina says:
Hi... I have a very large scar on my forehead, that's 11yrs old, a car accident when I was in my 20's. The accident resulted in 177 stitches in my face, but they were placed in layers, so mr scar is not sunken in. The only problem is that now that I've reached a certian age the scar is starting to "sprout" a very deep wrinkle between my eyebrows and down either side of my nose. I wonder if any of these would have the some effect on my wrinkles as on your scar. I'm interest in what you find

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2008 9:38:27 AM PST
http://www.godivaskincare.com/store/product.php?productid=25&cat=3&page=1

im really considering getting this stuff.. it's like a microexfoliation w/ fruit acid.. i want to try it on my scar to see if the skin color or texture will change (it works on acne scars)

this company is out of the phillipines and i found it while looking up skin lightening for ethnic skin.. if you check out the website their stuff may help even out your skin color ( i bought their underarm lightening kit and it does work!)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2009 6:27:18 PM PST
Golf Bunny says:
Hello. I manufacture the skin care product line, Vanish. It is formulated with TRIPLE refined emu oil in addition to Vit E... I have a tremendous amount of loyal customers that use it in their daily beauty routines. I also have clients that use it to diminish wrinkles and scarring. Because it penetrates to the deepest layer first and plumps skin out and stimulates collagen production, it has a rapidly smooths and heals. Emu oil was used by the Aborigines to heal horrible scarring all over their bodies caused from being burnt by the sun.. Try it out, I offer and stand behind my 100% guarantee. I trully hope it helps you. Simply type in Direct 2u Wholesale into Amazons search and you will find Vanish, Age Fading Serums...

Posted on Sep 11, 2009 9:26:55 AM PDT
What I have found works for me: A really high quality vitamin C product with a strenth of at least 10% - this has been proven to stimulate collagen production and brighten skin. I did Fraxel laser sessions for acne scarring - its non ablative and safer for skin that is not caucasian. Most topicals do not penetrate deep enough to have an effect on scars. Indentations or "rolling" scars are often deep into the dermis (the deeper skin tissue) and require treatment by a dermatologist.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2009 11:40:45 AM PDT
Try Elicina cream, it does wonders on scars.

Posted on Sep 12, 2009 9:52:23 AM PDT
dee says:
Go to acne dot org to check the research on these products. Use the boards search feature. All this stuff has been tried by board members. Tons of information in there to help you do your own research. Don't waste your money blindly trying everything.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2009 1:24:55 PM PDT
James says:
Look into TCA peels. I made a listmania list with 2 types of TCA peels
You also might want to load up on the vitamin E & C, though your body will urinate any excess C

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2009 11:39:53 AM PDT
I also have acne scars and am currently doing a non ablative laser to help produce new collagen and better the appearance of my skin. Check out the Affirm laser at www.cynosure.com . My best friend had a fairly significant white scar on her forhead (from an accident involving an iron when she was a kid) and she went to a plastic surgeon to remove the scar. Obviously her skin is not perfect, but her new scar is MUCH less noticable and easily covered with makeup. Always seek professional advice to find out all your treatment options, because no oil or lotion alone is going to get rid of your scar. Hope that helps!

Posted on Oct 5, 2009 1:00:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 5, 2009 1:00:18 AM PDT
When it comes to scars, the main goal is to stimulate the cell turnover rate. The most effective will be chemical peels or laser resurfacing, especially for atrophic scars like you have. Since you scar is relatively small, I would look into peels before costly laser treatments. TCA and glycolic peels will be the best for you, and most likely, you will need more than one treatment (depending on the strength of the peel). About using products with collagen for scarring, it will only plump up the skin temporarily- collagen is molecularly far too large to penetrate into the dermis.

Posted on Oct 11, 2009 3:02:00 PM PDT
Karepan says:
I would also suggest the Derma E Scar Gel. I haven't tried it, but have used the Derma E with Tea Tree Oil for moisturizing my hands. While it was not my intent, it got rid of a small wart on one of my fingers.

Posted on Oct 12, 2009 9:40:26 PM PDT
Katie says:
Try Mederma. but you have to be diligent about using it...

Posted on Oct 15, 2009 8:54:19 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 15, 2009 8:58:19 PM PDT]

Posted on Oct 15, 2009 8:56:54 PM PDT
M. Swallick says:
I think that you should try Stri-Vectin! The price in high but it is a great product. I am sure that it will reduce the appearance of your scar.

Posted on Oct 15, 2009 9:52:45 PM PDT
I tried Neutrogena Microdermabrasion System Cream for my pitted old acne scars, it was given by my brother in Canada. I didn't use the battery kit tool with sponge for rubbing my face with the microdermabrasion cream because I can't feel any pressure and the cream would just penetrate into the sponge and not into my skin so I instead use my dry fingertips with the cream and I strongly rub the cream on my dry facial scars in a circular motion in 15 to 20 minutes twice a week and I rub also all over my face. It feels like having a microdermabrasion session with my dermatologist, its like a sanding off the dermal layer of my skin..Its slightly painful because I rub it hard and my skin turns rosy pink. After awhile, I splash my face a lot with cool water then I wash it with a mild soap then pat dry. Instantly, I can see that my pitted scars even out with my unscarred skin. I apply contractubex cream or mederma cream on my facial scars every night. I am positive, if I religiously do this I would see result in few months since the neutrogena microdermabrasion cream do wonders for my face. My pitted scars plump up! I hope this could help also to those who have the same skin problem. I've always wanted to be treated with Fraxel but its so expensive and I'm not sure if it could successfully treat the pitted scars.

Posted on Oct 15, 2009 9:53:16 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 17, 2009 12:34:58 PM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Skin Care forum (70 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Skin Care forum
Participants:  32
Total posts:  69
Initial post:  Sep 26, 2008
Latest post:  Oct 14, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions