Customer Discussions > Sony forum

TV sound problems on 6th day of use

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 17, 2010 6:29:40 AM PDT
Pc says:
Sony BRAVIA EX 500 Series 40-Inch LCD TV, Black

This TV seemed all right until last night -- day six since delivery -- when the speakers suddenly began issuing as much static as signal on broadcast TV. Same on all channels. Switched to a NetFlix movie: still as much noise as signal audio. So, the problem is with Sony speakers, not with peripherals.

I turned the set off for a few minutes and then back on. Sound was restored to clarity. However, I think if Sony had engineered a self-healing electronic device of any sort we would have have heard the news.

It would be a huge hassle to return this new TV. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Posted on Jun 17, 2010 8:08:10 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 17, 2010 8:18:24 AM PDT
A/V guru says:
Best thing to do is call Sony customer service. If it is a "known problem" they will give you an immediate solution. Otherwise, you have a 1 year in home warranty, provided you actually bought it from an authorized store.

In this day and age, with fewer actual parts, problems are getting fewer and fewer in TV. But, they tend to show up within the first month. Normally, the only things within a TV itself that has a "lifetime" are the power supply and the screen/backlight itself. The rest of the TV will outlive those two items. Which if you google/ebay your TV (this goes for everybody) you see a dearth of TV parts that aren't power supplies and screens/backlights.

Several manufacturers (Toshiba as the best example) will even offer for you to replace a defective part yourself, during warranty, if they can determine, over the phone, which part you need....mail/UPS it to you, with instructions on how to change the part, if you'd rather not wait for a tech.

Posted on Jun 17, 2010 10:39:27 AM PDT
Pc says:
Thanks. I did call Sony. Their only advice was to manually unplug the tv from outlet, wait 30 seconds, and plug it back in again.

If the problem persists I will go to work at invoking warranty repairs in home, though the "in home" aspect is not a feature of the written warranty. One can hope for it . . .

Posted on Jun 17, 2010 10:38:03 PM PDT
A/V guru says:
Sony would be about the only "name brand" TV to not have an in-home warranty (32" and bigger)...if it isn't in-home.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2010 7:27:56 PM PDT
EdM says:
ALL HDTVs, of all brands, have computers - CPUs - inside the set. These computers do rarely crash, and the Sony advice allows the electricity to drain from not being plugged in, so the CPU will reset/restart the next use.

IF it happens lots, weekly e.g., that suggests a problem with your set, for warranty. IF it happens once every 6 months or year, especially after a thunder storm or otherwise after a surge in your house electricity - car wrecks into electric pole, that's just how it is these days.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2010 5:20:40 AM PDT
Pc says:
Thank you for sharing your thoughts about the sound problem.

In case anyone else is considering Sony brand TVs: the crackling/static-like noise has not recurred. Picture is good. Audio OK. Controls awkward/inconvenient. Be sure to test out a remote in some store before ordering to see how much it will bother you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2010 8:41:15 AM PDT
A/V guru says:
Did you buy this one online or in a store?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2010 9:38:12 AM PDT
Pc says:
At Amazon -- it's all about delivery convenience.

Posted on Jun 30, 2010 10:31:52 AM PDT
A/V guru says:
It may just be me...but if I'm buying something I'm going to use everyday...like even a coffee pot, or a toaster...I like to touch it and play with it first.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2010 1:53:17 PM PST
spiritwolf says:
Who would expect great sound from a Sony TV? These TVs are meant to join up with a blue ray/home theater system for great sound. Sony has NEVER had good sound on any of their products from boom boxes back in the 70s to flat panel TVs. Do yourself a favor and spend $400 on a home theater audio system if you want good sound.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Sony forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Jun 17, 2010
Latest post:  Dec 9, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions