Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > Soundtrack forum

Movies with great music as a part of the story

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 28, 2011 11:03:25 PM PDT
Mopoki says:
Just wondering if anyone could recommend movies to me that feature really good music as a part of the story...(as opposed to a "musical" or just having a great soundtrack).

I'm thinking like Amadeus or O Brother Where Art Thou? or Jeff Bridges as Bad Blake in Crazy Heart.
Also I just recently watched a couple of Swedish movies that had some great music ("Troubled Water," about a convict who plays the organ, and "As it is in Heaven," about a famous conductor who moves back home and teaches the small town choir)

Posted on Jun 30, 2011 11:35:03 AM PDT
Paul H. says:
Pulp Fiction has great music, the songs really contribute heavily to the film's overall tone.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2011 7:00:22 AM PDT
Crazy Heart was great bought the movie, and the CD

Posted on Aug 2, 2011 12:58:14 AM PDT
*'The Red Violin', the academy award winning movie score (1999) is a really unique example of what you are asking for I think, because the violin ITSELF and its music is the central 'character' of the film. (over hundreds of years)------Check it out!..:).........Cheers!--:)

Posted on Aug 2, 2011 2:58:52 AM PDT
August Rush. Absolutely one of the most amazing movies I have ever seen.

Posted on Aug 20, 2011 10:05:27 AM PDT
Nope says:
The Transformers series, Transformers, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen and Transformers: Dark of the Moon. While Transformers 2 doesn't really met with the other two films, it is still a great music to film combination. I really love how the music makes these movies great.

Posted on Aug 26, 2011 10:48:43 PM PDT
jake says:
O Lucky Man! - Alan Price

Posted on Aug 27, 2011 9:48:34 AM PDT
K. Rowley says:
"I'm thinking like Amadeus or O Brother Where Art Thou? or Jeff Bridges as Bad Blake in Crazy Heart."

Wouldn't Across the Universe be something similar to those? With the music being part of the story.

Posted on Sep 29, 2011 9:54:33 PM PDT
BLADE RUNNER is not the same movie without Vangelis' score. I have some different composers who had scored some of the early scenes for the film and NOT ONE came close to capturing the human/replicant emotion and the bleakness of the future in a synthisized society.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2011 12:22:25 AM PDT
M. C. Horne says:
I'm a firm believer that music can make or break a movie. In the Amadeus line, I found "Immortal Beloved" to be fascinating, with Beethoven's greatest works in there. And I totally agree on O Brother Where Art Thou? There's a companion CD to that called "Down From The Mountain" which features artists from the movie, if you liked it. Then there's always the old standby, Top Gun.
Enjoy!
Catherine H.

Posted on Oct 1, 2011 12:43:16 PM PDT
Bhimsen says:
If you're into Bollywood, I suggest MISSION: KASHMIR. Unlike most Bollywood fare, KASHMIR ramps it up by having the songs ACTUALLY be part of the story instead of being thrown in for entertainment value. From the opening theme and titles where a houseboat explodes on a lake to the very end, this movie didn't disappoint. Even the number "Bumboleo (Bumblebee)" which the kids sing in the first part of the film reappears as a Bollywood number and the set of the Bollywood number doubles as a nightmare sequence. This does work on the Destination Films/Sony Pictures Entertainment DVD.

What also works on this DVD is that it offers subtitles in 9 different languages and even an English overdub. The songs lyrics are also translated.

Posted on Oct 11, 2011 6:59:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 23, 2011 7:14:45 PM PDT
"Muriel's Wedding", "Music & Lyrics", "About a Boy"

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2011 8:20:49 PM PDT
Lia says:
Kosher Chan,
"Troubled Water" film is actually Norwegian.
"Dr. Zhivago" film has very powerful music which is very central to the telling of the story. Beautiful.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2011 4:48:56 AM PDT
Mopoki says:
I noticed a lot of the same actors in Troubled Water from other swedish films I've watched so I just assumed it was too.
Ok maybe it is time I finally watch Dr. Zhivago. thanks

Posted on Oct 19, 2011 5:13:44 AM PDT
Mopoki says:
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Just thought I'd add another one I saw recently called The Wind Journeys or Los Viajes del Viento. It was a little slow, but had some truly amazing scenes and great accordion music. I also loved the scene when the boy shows what he can do on the drum, especially how it filmed from inside the drum.

Keep em coming! thanks

Posted on Oct 28, 2011 12:44:34 AM PDT
Once (2006).

Posted on Dec 11, 2011 2:54:12 PM PST
Mopoki says:
I am adding THE TREE OF LIFE, has great music throughout, but especially the scene where the son is playing Les Barricades Mysterieuses guitar and then the dad joins in on piano.

Posted on Dec 12, 2011 7:12:58 AM PST
The Star Wars series would be nothing without its music. Also, Indiana Jones, Braveheart, Pirates of the Caribbean (At World's End is my favorite), and The Land Before Time. Each of these movies, I think, were made what they are by their music.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2012 11:02:45 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 24, 2012 11:04:02 PM PST
Eastenders - Peggy's Theme
This CD by Simon May includes some of the gorgeous music from "The Dawning" starring Anthony Hopkins. Great film and beautiful score.

Posted on Feb 27, 2012 10:40:11 PM PST
Miami Nights says:
Check out "Drive," directed by Nicholas Winding Refn. The music is really well chosen and intertwined. Refn really follows the Michael Mann path. You should try to see movies by Michael Mann. He often takes pre-existing music and songs to fill his movie soundtracks/scores. He doesn't choose lightly. Every single song is intelligently chosen and they all work very well (soundwise and lyrically) to highlight the mood of the scenes or mindsets of the characters.

Check out "Miami Vice" or "Public Enemies," just to name a couple of his films.

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 10:13:26 PM PST
Hi everyone,
Just came upon the 4-CD offer of Titanic & Beyond Titanic.
Am not sure though, I think this is including the newer Titanic movie not so long ago which made Celine Dion's song so popular---and still is.
At any rate, when watching the Oscars Sunday night, was surprised that War Horse didn't get the Music score. I thought the movie had some great background music; just right for that type of movie. There were so many animated type movies, is no wonder that War Horse and the other movies didn't have much of a chance in receiving rewards; only a couple.

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 6:05:27 PM PDT
"Ferngully", yes, the kids flick has great performances by Johnny Clegg. Tim Curry, and others.
"Once upon a time in Mexico" also has a great soundtrack. I now own cd's by every artist on the soundtrack. Some of them I've been lucky enough to see in concert too. The same with "desperado". Los Lobos and Tito & Tarantula!!
"From dusk till dawn", the rodreguiz/Tarantino flick is full of fantastic songs, and who could forget Salma Hayek's dance scene to Tito's great song "after dark". It seems like anything by Tarantino or Rodreguiz can be recommended for the music.

Posted on Feb 12, 2015 4:58:48 PM PST
K&K says:
The Way. Gardenstate.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Soundtrack forum (112 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Soundtrack forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  Jun 28, 2011
Latest post:  Feb 12, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions