Customer Discussions > Soundtrack forum

For Those Who Love 'Scores' over 'Soundtracks's

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 21, 2008 3:27:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on May 11, 2013 6:15:57 PM PDT
In the other 'favorite soundtracks' discussion, many people wished there was a discussion strictly for 'song soundtracks', and one strictly for 'score soundtracks'.--------I own both 'kinds', but I favor the instrumental scores and the instrumental portions of 'mixed' soundtracks where there are songs and instrumental tracks mixed.-----THIS is a discussion for INSTRUMENTAL LOVERS, I.E., SCORE LOVERS.--------So let's share our all time favorite scores, and maybe a little about the 'kind' of instrumentation that we like.------------------Currently these are my favorites that I listen to a great deal.

1. 'War Horse' by John Williams.

2. 'Jane Eyre' by Dario Marianelli.

3. 'The Village' by James Newton Howard.

4. 'Atonement' by Dario Marianelli.

5. 'To Kill A Mockingbird' by Elmer Bernstein.

6. 'Deep Blue' by George Fenton.

7. 'First Knight' Jerry Goldsmith.

8. 'Ben Hur' by Miklos Rozsa.

9. 'Anna and the King' by George Fenton.

10. 'The Legend of 1900' by Ennio Morricone.

11. 'Seven Years in Tibet' by John Williams.

12. 'Un Homme Et Son Chien' by Philippe Rombi.

13. 'King Kong' by James Newton Howard.

14. 'The Robe' by Alfred Newman.

15. 'Ladies in Lavender' by Nigel Hess.

16. 'The Last Airbender' by James Newton Howard.

17. 'Firelight' by Christopher Gunning. (hard to find).

18) 'The Secret of Nimh' by Jerry Goldsmith.
(animated)

19) 'Possession' by Gabriel Yared.

20. 'The Prince of Egypt by Hans Zimmer.

21. 'Angel' by Philippe Rombi.

22. 'Presumed Innocent' by John Williams.

23. 'The Black Stallion Returns' by Georges Delerue.

24. 'Wrestling Ernest Hemmingway' by Michael Convertino.

25. 'Krull' by James Horner.

I like full orchestral scores that are largely not 'derivative' in any way, but original. In that score I want excellent instumentation by piano, cello, violin, french horn, trumpet and/ or obeo as solo or as sections of the orchestra, especially strings.-------------I love making new discoveries in the 'score world.'--:)-----OKAY--Your Turn!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2008 8:40:04 PM PST
I also prefer the instrumental scores - mostly strings that sound depressing yet gorgeous. They make me remember the movie, of course. But if I'm reading a certain book while listening to it, the next time I listen to it I think of the book I was reading. So here's some of my favorites, in no particular order:

1. 'The Painted Veil' by Alexandre Desplat
2. ' Jurassic Park' by John Williams
3. 'Memoirs of a Geisha' by John Williams
4. 'There will be Blood' by Jonny Greenwood
5. 'The Hours' by Philip Glass
6. 'The Missing' by James Horner
7. 'Washington Square' by Jan A.P. Kaczmarek
8. 'The Fountain' by Clint Mansell
9. 'The Village' by James Newton Howard (i didn't like the movie too much, just the music!)
10. 'Hannibal' by Hans Zimmer
11. 'A Beautiful Mind' by James Horner
12. 'One Hour Photo' by Reinhold Heil and Johnny Klimek

And I also liked Atonement and Shopgirl.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2008 10:18:22 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 1, 2011 10:56:50 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2008 11:30:21 PM PST
ToonForever says:
Yes, yes, yes! I love scores and rarely do I care a song soundtrack (O Brother Where Art Thou being an important exception.) Nice selection. Here are a few I like very much, and in no particular order:

1. Searching for Bobby Fischer - James Horner
2. The Passion of the Christ - John Debney
3. The Village - James Newton Howard
4. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - John Williams
5. Mists of Avalon - Lee Holdridge
6. Koyaanisqatsi - Phillip Glass
7. Fargo - Carter Burwell
8. Edward Scissorhands - Danny Elfman
9. The DaVinci Code - Hans Zimmer
10. Apollo 13 - James Horner (LOOOOVE the launch sequence and esp. the end title theme)
11. Jurassic Park - John Williams
12. Lord of the Rings, particularly FotR and RotK - Howard Shore

I also really enjoyed the Children of Men score, much of which were orchestral arrangements of choral pieces by John Tavener, who is one of the most brilliant composers working today.

There are definitely others. I like otherworldly scores the best, with a full orchestra but with some occasional techology thrown in. Nice selections by everyone here so far.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2008 9:59:19 AM PST
Since both of you, Leslie and Anthony, put "The Village' in your list, I will just have to check it out.------Thanks for the descriptions of what you like about instrumental scores-----they are very interesting-----Leslie, I forgot to mention that I also must have intense 'strings' as a very important part of the instrumentation----------Anthony, as for other worldly, how about Brian Tyler's 'Children of Dune'?---------his best score by far and quite unique.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2008 9:37:01 PM PST
HardyBoy64 says:
I love:
John Williams: The Patriot, Jurassic Park, Empire of the Sun
James Newton Howard: The Village, Unbreakable,
Hans Zimmer: Batman Begins (with Howard), Gladiator, Pirates III
RAndy Edelman (?) Last of the Mohicans
And my all-time favorite score: The Mission by Ennio Morricone.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2008 7:01:58 AM PST
Nice variety of composers------Randy Edelman is best known for Gettysburg------also Dragon and Dragonheart are very good. They have often used music from these last two scores for movie trailers.----------------So why do you pick these instrumentals-------what is it about the music itself that makes these your favorites?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2008 4:16:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 25, 2008 6:20:13 PM PST
HardyBoy64 says:
I forget Gettysburg! I love that soundtrack, along with Glory (Horner). I love movie scores that have beautiful adaggios interspersed with moving "melodic" action pieces. I'd like to add to my list (How could I forget these?????):

LOTR: Complete Recordings of all 3 movies by Howard Shore.
JAmes Newton Howard: King Kong
Craig Armstrong: Elizabaeth: The Golden Age (great music!)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2008 4:48:05 PM PST
My favorites:
-Edward Scissorhands (Danny Elfman)
-Black Beauty (Danny Elfman)
-Dances with Wolves (my first soundtrack!)
-Kingdom of Heaven (Harry Gregson-Williams)
-Quigley Down Under (Basil Poledouris)
-Conan the Barbarian (Basil Poledouris)
-Merlin (Trevor Jones)
-Star Wars-Phantom Menace (John Williams)
-The Time Machine (Klaus Badelt)
-Wyatt Earp (James Newton Howard)
-The Postman (James Newton Howard)
-Secret of Nimh (Jerry Goldsmith) - sentimental favorite
-Star Trek-First Contact (Jerry Goldsmith)
-Beastmaster (Lee Holdridge)

As you can see, I prefer the adventure/sci-fi scores :)

I'm starting to experiment with using an audio editor to make suites from the soundtracks (when none is available on the CD already). I'm getting pretty good at it I think.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2008 12:00:53 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 30, 2008 1:16:19 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2008 8:14:19 AM PST
Chilenopo, 'moving melodic action pieces'-----nicely said. I also like the same!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2008 8:19:56 AM PST
Aqua, nice list! There are a few in there that I have 'neglected' over the years.-----So what is it about these composers-----what is it in their 'style' of music that you most like?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2008 8:29:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 24, 2008 9:29:23 AM PST
OK-------SHORT TIME OUT FOR OSCAR PREDICTION FOR TONIGHT!!!----------I think the movie 'Atonement' will win the Oscar for 2007 for best movie score.-------What do you think?------The Atonement soundtrack reminds me of the famous Russian composer, Rachmaninof sometimes------deep, 'tragic' and beautiful at the same time!!-----------------------Please also continue posting about the scores you like. You all have given me some new ones to explore!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2008 8:48:26 PM PST
A. Byrnes says:
I love scores. I think they define the emotion and the overall "feel" of the movie. I have quite a few favorite scores:

1. Cinema Paradiso - Ennio Morricone
2. The Holiday - Hans Zimmer
3. The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe - Harry Gregson-Williams
4. Peter Pan- James Newton Howard
5. Howl's Moving Castle - Joe Hisaishi
6. The Mission - Ennio Morricone
7. Castle in the Sky - Joe Hisaishi
8. Atonement - Dario Marianelli
9. Nightmare Before Christmas - Danny Elfman
10. Pirates of the Caribbean - Klaus Badelt and Hans Zimmer

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2008 8:50:17 PM PST
Atonement just won the 2007 Oscar for best musical score. It is really worth getting, especially while the price is still low.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2008 8:54:18 PM PST
A. Byrne, some really nice ones here. What would be your three favorites and why?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2008 11:40:36 AM PST
ToonForever says:
Hey, Dean: Children of Dune is also a frequent flier in my CD rack :-) You'll enjoy the village, I think. Hillary Hahn does some very nice solo work in it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2008 11:50:14 AM PST
Yes Anthony, Brian Tyler really out-did himself on that one.-------I am hesitating on getting 'the village', because I think it will be TOO 'atmospheric' for me.---- I like 'Children of Dune' because not only does it create 'atmosphere', but it also has strong melodic tunes that are well developed and orchestrated. Would I be wrong about 'The Village'?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2008 11:25:07 PM PST
ToonForever says:
Personally I find it a good mix. You might check the sampler here, or if you have itunes, it may be there. There is a definite sense of movement in the music, and some decent melody. I wouldn't hesitate to categorize it along the lines of the aforementioned Children of Dune. It's definitely not like some of the poorer Hans Zimmer stuff or the John Corigliano score for Altered States (he's an acquired taste anyway!)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2008 6:51:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 26, 2008 7:05:52 AM PST
Thanks Anthony! If you had to choose your two most favorite scores, what would they be?----also if I remember your list, it did not have much John Williams, (mine would only have a few as well)------is there something that your more favorite scores have that are lacking in his many scores?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2008 1:42:47 PM PST
ToonForever says:
Oh, lordy, what an impossible question! Well, the two favorites, I mean. Apollo 13 and Edward Scissorhands, perhaps. But it would be tough for me to leave off Searching for Bobby Fischer, Jurassic Park, and Fargo, and... Oh, heavens!

Re: John Williams. I really am a fan of John Williams in a lot of ways, because he's such a master of themes. It's just that sometimes the themes are a little too strong, where the music is SO attached to the movie that it's not always something you can just relax and listen to. Look at the Star Wars theme, or the masterful Imperial March. That sort of draws them away from scores I'll put in just to listen to the beautiful music. Some of his work also leans toward the older style scores that were, to my ear, overwritten, despite their quality. Like Laura, or the Sea Hawk, or some of those oldies. Then again, there's his incredible Schindler's List score, so I guess it really just depends.

Interesting that I haven't seen as much Goldsmith on these lists, nor on mine. There's another one who really knows how to compose a proper theme.

Oh, I had another question for you. Have you heard Jeff Rona's Earthsea score? The miniseries was a hack-job, but I really enjoyed the score, although it suffers from a lack of melody in places.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2008 3:22:28 PM PST
Anthony, probably both of us neglected Goldsmith because even though he writes the best themes, a whole score is usually not 'relaxing listening' as you put it. 'First Knight' and 'Rudy' are most accessible for me, and parts of many others including Sand Pebbles, Legend, and his Star Trek scores.---------Thanks for the Earthsea suggestion-----------------and I wanted to ask you about 'Searching for Bobby Fisher'. When I watched the movie, I barely noticed the score. Does it come out more on the soundtrack----or is it a very 'subtle' score?-------I have to take it seriously, because you said it was one of your favorites.------I'll have to dig out the old vhs of the movie which I liked very much, and listen more carefully.-----------could it be that in general you like your music a bit more 'ambient' than me, looking at my short list in the first post?-----------Thanks for all the food for thought. I hope others will read yor posts!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2008 4:05:29 PM PST
I'm in agreement with Anthony about John Williams. I absolutely LOVE his stuff, but most of it isn't something I would repeatedly listen to. Jerry Goldsmith is my favorite composer (judged by the fact that he has the most pieces in my playlist), followed closely by James Newton Howard. What I enjoy about a score is the rich melodies and emotions they evoke (although some pieces, like Total Recall, are just cool to listen to). These types of scores take me places that no other type of music can.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2008 4:31:25 PM PST
Laura, that's great! A REAL Goldsmith fan. Would you be willing to list your favorite Goldsmith scores in order starting with the one you like best?-----------I think it would be educational for us, and I am hoping you will name one I have not known before that I can still get at a reasonable price------unlike, for example 'The Secret of Nimh', which I love, but am not willing to pay thirty dollars for.--------Thanks a lot!!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2008 5:03:46 PM PST
Wow, that's a really tough one. Here are my favorites, mostly in order. I kept moving things around though, and finally just gave up:

1. Star Trek First Contact
2. 13th Warrior
3. Secret of Nimh
4. Rudy
5. The Wind and the Lion
6. Total Recall
7. The Mummy
8. First Knight (mostly like the love theme, choral pieces are awesome too)
9. Patton
10. Star Trek the Motion Picture

This is my Goldsmith wish list, when I have more money some day:
1. Ghost and the darkness
2. Small Soldiers
3. I.Q.
4. The Edge
5. Star Trek Insurrection

I know the Omen is a great score, but it violates my personal rule of never listening to a horror film score -freaks me out too much :)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 318 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Soundtrack forum
Participants:  298
Total posts:  7931
Initial post:  Feb 21, 2008
Latest post:  12 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 42 customers

Search Customer Discussions