Customer Discussions > Soundtrack forum

Mood - Dark, Atmospheric, Melancholy

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 21, 2012 1:05:01 PM PDT
All right soundtrack/score lovers... I am looking for dark, atmospheric, moody music... prefer scores if possible. Sad, melancholy, tear jerking, sweeping pieces... that's what I'm looking for, I'm creating a cd and I need pieces that will move you, stir your heart, your soul... music that has power!!!! Help me out please!!

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 10:33:39 AM PDT
John Green says:
What's the cd for- gaming sessions or something?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012 12:50:59 PM PDT
Kenneth Eike says:
Hi, The soundtrack of "Two For The Seesaw" (R. Mitchum, S. McLaine) main theme by Andre Previn, has a haunting trumpet solo. It's also featured on one of Previns lp's, but a piano version.

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 3:00:09 PM PDT
No it's not for gaming... other personal recreation activity!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012 6:31:14 PM PDT
Thomas Kelly says:
Oooh, good question. So, we're not talking horror scores, right? Off the top of my head (as my laptop is busy adding a CD to my iTunes), I'd d say:
Selections from...
Perfume - the Story of a Murderer
Pan's Labyrinth
The track "Crewe and the Soldier" from A Little Princess by Patrick Doyle
And perhaps selections from The Fountain or The Last of the Mohicans

I'll try to browse my scores when I can. Hope this helps.

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 6:45:29 PM PDT
John Green says:
Recent Dark, Atmospheric & Moody stuff:
Priest by Christopher Young
Predators by Alan Silvestri
Wolfman by Danny Elfman

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 6:57:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 22, 2012 6:59:34 PM PDT
Thomas Kelly says:
Again, I'm staying away from horror film scores (from which I could suggest great many).
I also really enjoy track "Passion" for 'stuff.' (From Peter Gabriel's "Passion: Music for the Last Temptation of Christ")
And if you can time it right, for a specific activity, you HAVE to hear "The Dreaming - Ere the World Crumbles..." by Knut Avenstroup Haugen from the Age of Conan video game score (you can hear them on YouTube).
I would be remiss if I didn't mention the album "Karma" by Delerium. It may not fit with what you requested except for the recreation. I have found that most of that album is perfect for... stuff.

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 7:03:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 24, 2012 8:22:25 PM PDT
K. Rowley says:
"Mood - Dark, Atmospheric, Melancholy"

Some suggestions...

Alien
Dark Water [Original Score]
Ghost Ship [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack]
Soundtrack
Apollo: Atmospheres & Soundtracks
Shutter Island [Music From The Motion Picture]
The 99 Darkest Pieces Of Classical Music
eta:
Thief
Sorcerer

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 11:02:28 PM PDT
Thank you.. awesome suggestions and I will research.. K. Rowley.. I adore the Dark Water score... and I don't mind some horror but I don't want to invoke terror.. more of a sense of heightened senses and a slow build of a mood...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 11:03:46 PM PDT
Wow Thomas.. I'm glad you suggested the Passion.. saw it in a used bookstore for little of nothing and scooped it up ;)

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 6:07:40 PM PDT
"The governess". The film features the haunting voice of Ofra Haza singing some wonderful music. Mostly wordless vocals. Hauntingly beautiful.

Posted on May 1, 2012 9:57:44 AM PDT
Kenneth Eike says:
I would like to know what you finaly put together, so I can make a like tape, Thanks

Posted on May 4, 2012 12:32:45 AM PDT
L. Spain says:
"...dark, atmospheric, moody music...sad, melancholy, tear-jerking, sweeping pieces...that will move you, stir your heart and soul...music that has power!!!". Covering such a wide range of feelings and moods makes this a fascinating musical challenge to meet. Okay, I accept. I hope you don't mind me elaborating a bit on the music I recommend to you.

Non-film score suggestions would include Keith Jarrett's "Luminessence", which is music for string orchestra and tenor saxophone performed by Jan Garbarek, who improvises with astounding emotion and intensity over Keith Jarrett's wildly passionate string writing, which is by turns exuberantly chromatic, then brooding, icy, now serene and transcendent. It's powerful stuff, something like a musical journey over the mountains, deserts and oceans of the human heart and soul.

A CD entitled "Charles Ives: An American Journey", features a ground-breaking, all-encompassing and profoundly spiritual work known as "Three Places in New England" conducted by Michael Tilson-Thomas. All three pieces are strangely evocative and stirring, but the third and final movement in particular, "The Housatonic at Stockbridge" is an elementally powerful piece of musical imagination, cosmically conceived and describing a particularly golden place and time out of Ives' memory: an enchanted walk in the woods of western Massachusetts with his newly-married wife, Harmony, in the spring of 1908. It begins on a mysterious note with a meandering, surging, dissonant yet unexpectedly lyrical musical portrait of the Housatonic River, which is performed by a large mixed choir of subterranean expressive power mated with a slow and ominous orchestra that build together in turbulence and complexity into one of the grandest, yet most sublime and unresolved climaxes in the history of modern classical music.

As far as film scores that incorporate the sound and the feeling that you desire are concerned, it's somewhat unfortunate that the music must compete with the actors' speech because it makes it difficult for the composer to write music in a way that stands on its own without drowning out the dialogue and action.

However, it's the power of melody that rescues a composer working under those limitations, and if there ever was a time when film composers knew how to compose great melodies, it was certainly during the 40's and especially the 50's. So, I would happily recommend the newly re-released soundtrack to Twentieth Century-Fox Studio's 1958 production of "The Barbarian and the Geisha", composed by Hugo Friedhofer. The music dramatizes the story of the first American ambassador to Japan in the 1850's. The main theme is a thing of heart-breaking beauty that combines a sense of unbearable romantic yearning with a tragic expectation of loss, while the score itself is glorious and passionate in the lavish, wide-screen Technicolor way that we don't hear or experience in the movies these days.

On the darker side of film music, you could always turn to Bernard Herrmann, one the renowned "masters" of filmic musical composition. His score for Alfred Hitchcock's film, "Vertigo", is serpentine, dazzling, bizzare, mysterious, exotic, ravishingly romantic, despairing and ultimately fatalistic in mood. It's a good soundtrack for people who are "madly" in love. Also, the fairly recent release by Tribute Records of Herrmann's score for the film based on Ray Bradbury's dystopian novel, "Fahrenheit 451", may offer some unexpected pleasures as its downward-spiraling passages detailing the loneliness and alienation of the main characters offers music of heart-stopping tenderness, alternating with the more jarring sequences featuring driving rhythms and unsettling harmonies that describe the harsh and oppressive world of our forcibly un-literate future. Nonetheless, the score ends on a note of such calm and pacific hope that author Ray Bradbury admitted it brings him to tears everytime he hears it in the film.

Last, but not least, still on the dark side but swirling with a wide gamut of familiar emotions such as anguish, the hunger of love, hesitant hope and long-denied redemption, seek out Danny Elfman's troubled, bittersweet score for the film, "Dolores Claiborne". It's a tone poem on the things about ourselves that we can only face with our eyes closed.

I wish you well as you gather your unusual and compelling compilation of music.

Posted on May 8, 2012 8:39:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 8, 2012 8:41:45 PM PDT
Agnes says:
Even though some are steering clear of scores from horror films, David Julyan's score for The Descent is understated and slowly builds. It certainly packs an emotional punch without being overly heavy or doing the sorts of things that one would normally find in the score to a horror film; there's an underlying hope present but it's overshadowed by sadness and makes for a bitter listen. I highly recommend giving it a listen.

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 3:08:45 PM PDT
A. Alfaro says:
Chloe-Check out "in my line of business"
The Uninvited- the main theme here is haunting and cold, yet nice
The Kingdom-Danny Elfman "Finale"
Let Me In-The End Credits are beautiful, and frighteningly so
Perfume - The Story of a Murderer (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)-this one is full of dark, melancholy beauty
The Village-this one is nice and moody, and beautiful
Farewell To Dobby-this song is perfect for the death of a best friend
Harry In Winter-this one is sweeping and melancholy
Super 8 Suite-haunting, sweeping, emotional, otherworldly and divine, this is my new favorite song ever...
Hope my list helps!!!

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 12:39:20 PM PDT
W.H. says:
City Of Lost Children

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 12:55:31 AM PDT
C. Badders says:
''Over You'' by The Tiger Lillies from their "Circus Songs'' CD should do it

Posted on Nov 21, 2013 2:59:34 PM PST
Phrehdd says:
If it is just one CD it becomes hard to select but as mentioned by others - Pan's Labyrinth in its entirety is rather melancholy.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Soundtrack forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  18
Initial post:  Apr 21, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 21, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions