Customer Discussions > Space Opera forum

space romps

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 31 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 19, 2010 10:17:07 PM PDT
Tom Spencer says:
I'm looking for some books with a cast of characters traveling around the universe and getting into trouble--like Doug Adams' books but not necessarily comedies. Are there any good ones out there?

Posted on Aug 20, 2010 11:20:35 AM PDT
You might want to try my military space opera GATES OF HELL. Space pirates, plague, aliens, intrigue, romance and stuff.

Susan Sizemore

Posted on Aug 20, 2010 3:19:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2010 4:02:41 AM PST
Todd Hunter says:
Sadly, my books mostly have one space pirate roaming around the galaxy getting into trouble, and not a full cast of characters...haven't seen one that fits your description, but will keep an eye out for them.

Todd
Seeker (Aston West)
Heroes Die Young
Friends In Deed

Posted on Dec 26, 2010 2:38:14 PM PST
Tom, If you are still looking for books wherein a cast of characters romps around the universe, my sci-fi novel fits the bill. During the whole second half of the book, that's pretty much all they do, and get into much trouble in the process.
Star Chosen: A Science Fiction Space Opera for the Whole Family

Posted on Dec 26, 2010 3:03:10 PM PST
Evil UnLtd: The Root Of All Evil

Why not give Evil UnLtd a go. We're just at the start of a new series of adventures and yes it is a comedy, but the characters take themselves just as seriously as any other band of space-faring adventurers. What's more they're pretty much the only band of heroes you'll find who are out to save the galaxy... for themselves.

SAF

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2010 3:01:26 PM PST
Poul Anderson wrote stories about interstellar traders which can found in a volume called David Falkayn: Star Trader. His Dominic Flandry stories might also fight your need. Andre Norton wrote a number of linked stories, but one classic series were the ones involving the Solar Queen free trader. You might also like her time travel stories. Christopher Anvil's Interstellar Patrol stories are funny. Also funny is Harry Harrison's Bill, The Galactic Hero. Bud Sparhawk has published his short stories about Sam Boone in a single volume (Front to Back). You can't go wrong with any of those.

Posted on Dec 27, 2010 5:45:57 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 27, 2010 5:46:35 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 27, 2010 5:48:33 PM PST
Try the Guardians of Peace series by Jeffrey Caminsky, set 500 years in the future. It's more like Star Trek than Hitchhiker's Guide, but there are lots of characters, and the tone of the series ranges from comedic to tragic. The first two books in the series---Sirens of Space, and Star Dancers---are out in Kindle, and I understand that a third book is due out any day now.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2010 5:24:49 AM PST
You'd might also like the Retief stories by Keith Laumer. Very funny.

Posted on Dec 28, 2010 12:33:08 PM PST
Also, The Gods of Mars is similar to what you want. It has a great cast of characters romping around. While it does take place mostly on Mars, the various strange uncharted places they end up in might as well be other planets. It is quite the adventure.

Posted on Dec 28, 2010 8:33:28 PM PST
William L.K. says:
The Eye of the Storm would fit the bill as well.

Posted on Feb 22, 2011 1:37:59 PM PST
Blue Third - Citlalli and The Destroyer
Blue Third - Citlalli and the Destroyer is a space adventure with a highly unique, unabashedly fun and exciting story. The novel is a coming of age adventure that takes seven teenagers from different cultures, one from 5,000 years ago, and throws them into unbelievable adventures on which the fate of Earth, our own galaxy and neighboring galaxies rests. The audience for Citlalli and the Destroyer is everyone from the age of 8-80 as the story is easy to read, fast-paced, while intellectually challenging and entertaining throughout. Its literary goal was to combine educational elements including history and modern social issues, within the kind of truly fun and entertaining novel I loved when growing up and still enjoy today. It brings fun to the often stodgy science fiction world, offering a refreshing new story free of vampires or wizards. The story begins by introducing Citlalli in her native Mexico of 5,000 years ago. After inadvertently becoming a stowaway on a cocoa trader's interstellar vessel, and for reasons the novel makes clear, she ends up being teamed with six every day teenagers of today. They come from different cultures and families, and along with Citlalli and a group of some of the strangest intelligent alien allies imaginable are thrust into journeys that will determine the fate of everyone's civilizations in battling a monstrously evil entity called The Destroyer. The adventurers include five girls and two boys, each arriving with their own personality and cultural background. The journey forces them to grow strong, learn to trust, and even learn to endure pain and horror. They learn about friendship, courage, strength, sacrifice and more. The novel's strengths are its unique ideas, original story, page-turning excitement and the kind of cinematic climax and surprise ending that leaves the reader happy and hoping for more.

Posted on Mar 10, 2011 9:04:06 PM PST
I remember from about 40 years ago a book titled "Rouge in Space", don't remember the author, but enjoyed it and still remember portions of it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2011 9:10:16 PM PST
#John McIntosh

Is this it? -> Rogue in Space by Frederic Brown.

Posted on Mar 17, 2011 10:39:49 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 17, 2011 10:42:18 PM PDT]

Posted on Mar 17, 2011 10:42:30 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 17, 2011 10:46:30 PM PDT]

Posted on Mar 17, 2011 10:46:44 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 17, 2011 10:49:46 PM PDT]

Posted on Mar 17, 2011 10:50:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 17, 2011 11:18:35 PM PDT
You can try my new book Nanomech. There is a host of characters that romp through space.
Nanomech
Left behind by his childhood friend, Aiben ekes out his existence as a cybermancer acolyte and part-time starship mechanic on a backwater world. He leads an uncertain life, until one day, the Zenzani Protectorate invades his home and destroys everything he has ever known. Aiben soon learns that the molecule-sized machines, which augment his body and mind, have a centuries-old plan for him involving nanotechnology, genetic manipulation, and hyperspatial thought. Now, along with his companions, an old soldier and a sentient mechanoid, he takes his journey to a world of fabricated prophecies. There he navigates the treacheries of war and espionage to find an ancient weapon and a long-forgotten people that will bring his past crashing into his future and seal his destiny forever.

Posted on Apr 19, 2011 9:08:33 PM PDT
TheoGrouch says:
Jack Chalker/Mike Resnick/Geo. Alec Effinger: Red Tape Wars (rib-breaking funny)

Eluki bes Shahar: Hellflower, Dark Traders, Archangel Blues (starts out romping, gets serious)

C.L. Moore: Northwest Smith (good old-fashioned space opera)

Posted on Jun 22, 2011 7:20:07 PM PDT
Many people know Stephen Donaldson as author of the Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, and haven't heard of these other books by him: The Gap Series. Best space romp ever!
1. The Gap into Conflict: The Real Story
2. The Gap into Vision: Forbidden Knowledge
3. The Gap into Power: A Dark and Hungry God Arises
4. The Gap into Madness: Chaos and Order
5. The Gap into Ruin: This Day All Gods Die
Pirates, spies, space captains, slave collars, aliens, genetic mutations, political shenanigans. The first book is darker and slower-paced and then the big adventures take off... I couldn't put them down.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2011 3:06:21 PM PDT
My book The Harbinger and the Shepherd (Prophecy of the Third Age Trilogy), recently brought back from the dead by a small indie press, is exactly what you're looking for. Large cast of characters with aliens mixed in the groups with humans, traveling around space getting into trouble, and though it's not necessarily a comedy, there are a few funny moments.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2011 1:25:45 PM PDT
NYC Reader says:
I strongly recommend the Space Captain Smith trilogy by Toby Frost. Published in the UK but available here, it combines great wit with a good story line, somewhat reminiscent (deliberately so) of a "Boy's Own Paper" story of the early 20th Century. All with the trappings of steam-punkish space opera.

Posted on Jun 28, 2011 5:06:47 PM PDT
You might like Linnea Sinclair's Finders Keepers
Since everybody else is plugging their own - my stuff is space opera. Try Morgan's Choice or The Iron Admiral: Conspiracy

Posted on Jul 13, 2011 6:20:24 PM PDT
K. J. Hart says:
You might also like A. Bertram Chandlers John Grimes series, Which tell the story of John Grimes life, from young lieutenant in the Survey Service to Commodore of the Rim Worlds Navy.

Posted on Sep 29, 2011 10:41:55 PM PDT
John says:
I just finished writing The Untold Tomorrow. Starts out like a typical invasion/space scenario, but then takes a big twist early into the novel. Its available on Kimble atm, will be on paper back in a week or two.
The Untold Tomorrow
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Space Opera forum (32 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Space Opera forum
Participants:  23
Total posts:  31
Initial post:  Aug 19, 2010
Latest post:  Nov 7, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions