Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Beach House Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Now Deal of the Day
Customer Discussions > Speakers forum

Pre Wired Speakers in house

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 25, 2010 12:24:45 PM PST
Mateo says:
Happy Holidays to All:

I just moved into a house that has 2 sets of speakers outside and 2 sets of speakers inside, which are already wired to a main access point in the house.

Unfortunately, I have not been that active on keeping up to speed on technology advances in the music devices these days.

The speakers are Boston Acoustic and are pretty good sized for wall hung speakers.

Here is my question - What devices does someone recommend for setup for the ability to stream online music, ipod, media library music throughout the house.

Do I need to have a multi channel switch to accommodate for the amount of speakers? How many watts should it be able to handle?

Do you also have a recommendation for a new receiver to use with this multi channel switch?

Thanks for all of your input and have a great holiday!

Matt

Posted on Nov 25, 2010 1:02:28 PM PST
A/V guru says:
Any receiver will work. You need to find out if these are wired as 70volt (highly doubtful, unless each room has a volume knob on the wall).

Power depends on the speakers, but a good 100-120wpc should be plenty.

Also, the kind of speaker switch you need depends on how those are already wired. Is it loose coming into a closet? Is it pre-wired into a board? What?

If there is a pre-wired access point. Do you mean there is already a 70volt connection? Is each speaker set on a pre-selector box?

Lastly, after you figure out what you have to connect to (there is no way to know with just saying "access point"), EVERYTHING ever made will connect to it, cause it probably uses RCA analog connects which have existed since 1940. So, pretty much anything made since 1940 will connect to it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2010 5:48:13 PM PST
Mateo says:
Thanks for the update on this A/V guru.

In regards to your questions, this is what I know.

Each room, including the outside patios have volume knobs on the wall for a different set. All of the wiring is then hidden behind the walls and comes out through a wall outlet. I believe that the people that lived in the house prior to us, used a board of some sort, but do not know for sure. This is what I meant by an access point (One are where all of the wiring comes to in the house)

Thanks for the input about using 100/120 wpc for this setup. I remember that most of the old receivers had just two channels (A/B), so I would think that to have control of the multiple rooms, I may need an amplifier or multii room switch to handle playing in all rooms.

Posted on Nov 25, 2010 5:48:42 PM PST
Mateo says:
Thanks for the update on this A/V guru.

In regards to your questions, this is what I know.

Each room, including the outside patios have volume knobs on the wall for a different set. All of the wiring is then hidden behind the walls and comes out through a wall outlet. I believe that the people that lived in the house prior to us, used a board of some sort, but do not know for sure. This is what I meant by an access point (One are where all of the wiring comes to in the house)

Thanks for the input about using 100/120 wpc for this setup. I remember that most of the old receivers had just two channels (A/B), so I would think that to have control of the multiple rooms, I may need an amplifier or multii room switch to handle playing in all rooms.

Posted on Nov 25, 2010 6:59:58 PM PST
A/V guru says:
Find a mom/pop shop that can come see what you've got. Yes it will cost more than buying from Best Buy, but...you'll have guarantees it will work, rather than several trips and guesswork.

Posted on Dec 6, 2010 12:24:31 PM PST
A 70 volt system would be extremely unusual in your application. There is a chance that the volume controls are impedance matching. Pull the VC's out of the wall and look at the back. If you see jumpers labeled 2X/4X/8X then the volume controls are impedance matching. The Boston Acoustics in wall speakers should have an impedance of 8 ohms. Set the jumpers on the volume controls to 4X if you are using a single stereo receiver to power the system. If the receiver has a speaker A/B selector you can connect both indoor pairs to "A" and both outdoor pairs to "B" for ease of use, but you will still have 4 pair wired in parallel (and A/B switches on stereo receivers do not compensate for impedance) so you will still use the 4X setting on each volume control. The A/B selector does not select channels, but rather speaker pairs ("A" left and right channel and/or "B" left and right channel) The proper color code for four conductor speaker cable in a multi-room application is:

Red = R+
Black = R-
Green = L+
White = L-

You can check that this was done correctly on the backs of the volume controls as well.

If the volume controls do not have jumpers for matching impedance, and you wish to use a single stereo amplifier to power all four pairs of speakers, you will need a speaker selector that matches impedance. Niles, Sonance and others make 4-pair switchers that do this. In this case you would connect the receiver output to the switchers input and each speaker pair to an output on the switcher.

I concur that a good 100wpc amp should be adequate for your application.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 11:21:49 AM PDT
Keith says:
Thanks for this great info. Now, the wiring has been done and connected to a switch with an A/B selector - A 3x4 inch black box with 12 connections in the rear (A, B, and Pre-amp). So, am I to assume that the A and B is connected to the multiple speakers and the pre-amd wires should be connected to a reciever?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Speakers forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Nov 25, 2010
Latest post:  May 10, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions