Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS
Customer Discussions > Speakers forum

Is it worth sinking $400.00 into a pair of Heil ESS AMT 1Bs?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 13, 2012 5:44:29 PM PDT
I rescued these from the dumpster at a thrift store. The woofer surrounds are rotted. Replacement woofers are $200 each. I haven't had the opportunity to listen to these. I know they were well rated in their day. Also, I don't know if the mid and tweet ribbons are intact. For now, let's assume they are.

Thanks,

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2012 6:05:53 AM PDT
mac says:
I remember not being very impressed with the bass. I do remember thinking that the air-motion transformer sounded great!

I friend of mine mated the Heil top end (AMT) with a Kef B-139 in a transmission line enclosure and it sounded very good indeed.

If the AMT is good, you have the basis of a great project! Because the AMT doesn't need an enclosure, you could marry it to a bass unit and with proper positioning and careful crossover tweaking you could create a very nice speaker.

I would not put $400 into replacing the Heil woofers or try to deal with the original enclosure.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2012 5:35:31 PM PDT
Thanks for your response, Mac. I have found where people mounted the AMTs on wall brackets above speakers. I suppose getting the crossover correct, would be the trick in this.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Speakers forum (430 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
How important is speaker wire size? 18 Dec 30, 2015
How OVERATED is the Bose Wave Sound System? Opinions please. 177 Dec 1, 2015
Cables, speaker & interconnects. How important 4 Nov 30, 2015
5.1 Speaker System for Classical Music 5 Nov 30, 2015
Are cheaper PA speakers really that bad? 1 Nov 30, 2015
Stereo Receiver to Power Four sets of speakers 2 Oct 5, 2015
I need to run/use about 12 to 14 speakers in a large open room.... 1 Sep 7, 2015
polk audio sda srs 27 Jul 22, 2015
magnepan 7.1 vs anthony gallo strada 36 Jul 19, 2015
Looking for a good speaker/receiver combination for ceiling speakers in my basement 0 Jun 21, 2015
Pioneer SP-FS51-LR 3-way or 2-way?? 51 May 26, 2015
Amp, impedance matching Volumne Controllers, Speakers, Passive Audio Panel 0 May 13, 2015

This discussion

Discussion in:  Speakers forum
Participants:  2
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  May 13, 2012
Latest post:  May 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions