Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now DOTD
Customer Discussions > Speakers forum

Need Suggestions For Inexpensive Receiver.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 32 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 30, 2011 1:53:28 PM PST
R. Olivarez says:
My son gave me his older Pioneer turntable for christmas. Need an inexpensive receiver (under or around $100) for it and would also like to be able to hook my macbook and Ipod up to it as well. Oh yeah also need suggestions for compatible inexpensive (under $100) bookshelf speakers and any cables I would need to complete this set up.

Posted on Dec 30, 2011 10:42:06 PM PST

Would be your best bet, it contains everything and is pretty powerful, but it does go abit above your 100 limit. For that, sorry. Its got alot of stuff that comes with the receiver, so its worth it I think. I used to have one of these until I decided I needed to get bigger speakers and a more powerful receiver. This Sony worked VERY well though, I'll say that. Just be sure not to over crank the volume and you'll be fine. The only other thing you might have to get is longer speaker cable, as depending on where you want to set this up, you might need longer cables.

Posted on Dec 31, 2011 10:10:20 AM PST
R. Olivarez says:
Thanks for the suggestion Chris. I already have an all-in-one system, but I need a seperate receiver component to set up a turntable in another room and just was wondering if someone could give me specific advice on how to accomplish this and use it to hook my itunes on macbook up.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2011 12:19:46 PM PST
Ok, there are usually good cheap receivers at Best Buy, sometimes you can find one for 85 bucks and its got all the inputs you need. The best way would be to go inside one and look at any of their "Open Box" items, since the holiday's are now over with, I bet someone returned something they thought didn't work when it was just that they didn't know how to use it, so you might get some really great deal. Best of luck.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2011 12:51:48 PM PST
R. Olivarez says:
Thanks again Chris that's a good idea! Happy New Year!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2011 4:41:52 PM PST
Happy New Year to you too!

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 3:13:42 PM PST
I am looking for the same thing. I went to BestBuy, Target and Walmart. They were all over $100.00. I did find a new Sherwood on Amazon that will be $90.00 including delivery, thats what I am going with.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2012 6:15:20 PM PST
That will be an excellent choice. I've had plenty of Sherwood's and they've all been amazing. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2012 7:07:32 PM PST
Chris: One more thing is on check out you go for an Amazon credit card they will take off $30.00 bringing your total down to $60.00. Look for the Sherwood RX-4105. Good Luck.

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 10:21:30 AM PST
Onkyo TX-NR609 ... That one even has the ability to upconvert to 4K resolution! No other A/V Receiver comes close for that price!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2012 12:01:39 PM PST
The Onkyo TX-NR609 is a $420.00 unit. The guy that started the post said he was looking for a basic unit in the $100.00 range. This is why I recommended the Sherwood for $90.00.
Read the first post he was not looking for an AV unit or one that sells for over $400.00

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2012 7:01:09 PM PST
R. Olivarez says:
Not that it adds to the convo but I am a woman not a guy! hahaha But I do thank you for the recommendations. I was already looking at the Sherwood and wanted to hear from actual owners how these receivers stack up. Also looking at the Sherwood RX -4109. Do you think it's worth the little bit of extra money?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2012 5:02:35 AM PST
Can't get more basic then the Sherwood RX - 4109. Looks pretty decent for its change too. Just be sure you match speakers, that they don't need more then 100 watts to function properly, or they might sound a bit on the quiet side. The 4109 is nice, everything is self explanatory, so I think you'll have an alright time setting it up yourself as well. It doesn't matter that you're a woman or a guy because that doesn't decide what you have to listen to. This Sherwood, you'll want to listen to, it'll be perfect. (Provided shipping doesn't drop it, lol) :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2012 4:08:55 PM PST
One more thing to double check is to make sure your turntable has a phono EQ/pre-amp in it. Many older ones and some high end current ones don't have a pre-amp. Most new recievers no longer having a dedicated phono input, so you'd need to buy a seperate phono pre-amp (as a phono pre-amp supplies the necessary voltage and signal equalization to make the turntable have the same input as a CD or tape player).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2012 10:28:31 PM PST
R. Olivarez says:
Thanks for the advice David! It is an older Pioneer turntable (I don't know exactly how old, maybe 10 years old?).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2012 11:44:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 30, 2012 11:45:34 PM PST
Looking up current Pioneer turntables, they all have pre-amps installed. If you can't find the actual model number of your turntable, the turntable *probably* has the appropriate pre-amp if you just see two RCA type connecters (the white and red stereo connections). Traditional turntables have the two RCA connectors plus a ground wire (an extra wire with some kind of clip on it). Many digital recievers in the last 10-15 years have not had a phono input (it's easy to see in the back of an older analog reciever in that it has the two RCAs plus a ground thumb screw). I believe that modest turntables have had pre-amps installed for some time...because of this fact. Can't always assume though....I inherited an old Denon that doesn't have a pre-amp, and I have a nice higher end turntable that also requires its own phono pre-amp.

Posted on Jan 31, 2012 10:28:22 AM PST
I got my Sherwood RX-4105 and it does the job just fine for my needs. I am not using my turntable with this unit and its a good thing because the RX-4105 DOES NOT have a phono line in for a turntable! Check the 4109 I think it does.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2012 11:57:02 AM PST
Re-read the entire conversation before posting. The Sherwood RX-4109 was already decided upon after much debate due to it fitting the required needs. ;)

Posted on Jan 31, 2012 12:27:57 PM PST
I do not see the RX-4109 decided upon by Olivarez. She said "Also looking at the Sherwood RX -4109. Do you think it's worth the little bit of extra money?" See the word looking? I wanted to make sure that she did not get the RX-4105 as I recommended in my post.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2012 1:03:12 PM PST
R. Olivarez says:
Thanks Robert for the heads up. I indeed have not purchased a receiver yet and after finding out from David that I might need a pre-amp as well I'm glad that I have waited.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2012 1:12:15 PM PST
R. Olivarez, can you find the model number of the Pioneer tt anywhere? We can then confirm that it has a pre-amp in it....if it just has two RCA connectors (and not a ground wire as well), then it probably does have a pre-amp. If it has a ground wire, then you should go for the cheaper reciever and get a phono preamp like this:

Posted on Jan 31, 2012 1:57:34 PM PST
The Sherwood RX-4109 does have the pre-amp, just read.

Sherwood RX-4109 200W Stereo Receiver - Black

If its got a Phono jack, that's the pre-amp, no need to spend extra on something you don't need.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2012 3:07:00 PM PST
Amazon's not always the most accurate, so I went to Sherwood's site. Looks like this unit has a phono input. They also recommend 8 ohm speakers for it (100W).

You should still see if your turntable has a pre-amp in it or not. A phono pre-amp boosts the signal as well as applying RIAA equalization (which takes away an equalization curve that would ordinarily sound muffled). If your turn table does not have a ground wire, I would plug it into your CD/DVD/Video/or tape inputs. The reason being that if your tt has the preamp and you plug it into the phono input (that applies a RIAA equalization for the second time) it will distort the sound.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2012 8:13:57 PM PST
R. Olivarez says:
I do have the RCA connections with a ground wire. I thank you again for all the good advice. Think I have enough info to make my purchase. Will finally be able to enjoy listening to vinyl again!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2012 9:03:20 PM PST
Then get the RX-4109 or if you settle on another reciever without phono input, that Behringer is one of the cheaper preamps. And enjoy the new life of vinyl! I'm amazed how well vinyl has held up: unfortunately I started collecting vinyl after many of my relatives got rid of their old collections. :-( Luckily I'm close to a pretty big vinyl shop. With a record cleaner and some anti-static sleeves, I'm finding many titles from the 70s, 80s, and even 00s sound pretty lively (for some older vinyl titles, I think they actually sound much better then their CD counterparts because some engineers tried equalizing out tape hiss way too much in the early analogue to digital conversions).
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Speakers forum (430 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
How OVERATED is the Bose Wave Sound System? Opinions please. 170 1 day ago
Stereo Receiver to Power Four sets of speakers 2 Oct 5, 2015
I need to run/use about 12 to 14 speakers in a large open room.... 1 Sep 7, 2015
How important is speaker wire size? 16 Jul 23, 2015
polk audio sda srs 27 Jul 22, 2015
magnepan 7.1 vs anthony gallo strada 36 Jul 19, 2015
Looking for a good speaker/receiver combination for ceiling speakers in my basement 0 Jun 21, 2015
Pioneer SP-FS51-LR 3-way or 2-way?? 51 May 26, 2015
Are cheaper PA speakers really that bad? 0 May 14, 2015
Amp, impedance matching Volumne Controllers, Speakers, Passive Audio Panel 0 May 13, 2015
5.1 Speaker System for Classical Music 4 May 10, 2015
Please Help! In-wall / in-ceiling speakers for ONKYO receiver TX-nr626 0 Mar 31, 2015

This discussion

Discussion in:  Speakers forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  32
Initial post:  Dec 30, 2011
Latest post:  Sep 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions